Networking problem with Field Day

  • Philip Leonard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2013
      At our field day this year I had 8 computers networked with N1MM. One
      was even running Athena real-time log analysis...very cool. I build up
      a fresh database file and log on one computer before hand and got all
      the computer names setup with IPs. All IPs were static so they wouldn't
      be changing on me. I then copied that database to all the other
      computers so everything was the same. All computers were running the
      same version (v13.5.3). The morning of Field Day everything came up
      great. All computers were seeing each other (all green in the info
      window) and logging was working as expected.

      Field Day began and off we went, logging like crazy.

      At the end of Field Day I went to check all the computers and found they
      all had different QSO counts. What? OK, I said, I'll just resync. So
      I resync'ed each computer one at a time (no two were syncing at the same
      time). After this they all had different QSO counts but again none
      matched. After about 3 rounds of resyncing (again, one at a time) I did
      manage to get 3 computers to match on QSO count.

      What am I doing wrong and why doesn't the QSO counts match on all computers?

      BTW, there were several new uses of N1MM this weekend and all of them
      commented on how well the program worked. Several new converts to N1MM.

      Thanks and 73, Philip WV0T
    • Steve London
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2013
        Most likely explanation for the mis-matched resyncs is that the time
        stamps were out-of-chronological-sequence. This can happen when each
        computer clock has a slightly different notion of what time it is.

        73,
        Steve, N2IC

        On 06/24/2013 07:18 AM, Philip Leonard wrote:
        > At our field day this year I had 8 computers networked with N1MM. One
        > was even running Athena real-time log analysis...very cool. I build up
        > a fresh database file and log on one computer before hand and got all
        > the computer names setup with IPs. All IPs were static so they wouldn't
        > be changing on me. I then copied that database to all the other
        > computers so everything was the same. All computers were running the
        > same version (v13.5.3). The morning of Field Day everything came up
        > great. All computers were seeing each other (all green in the info
        > window) and logging was working as expected.
        >
        > Field Day began and off we went, logging like crazy.
        >
        > At the end of Field Day I went to check all the computers and found they
        > all had different QSO counts. What? OK, I said, I'll just resync. So
        > I resync'ed each computer one at a time (no two were syncing at the same
        > time). After this they all had different QSO counts but again none
        > matched. After about 3 rounds of resyncing (again, one at a time) I did
        > manage to get 3 computers to match on QSO count.
        >
        > What am I doing wrong and why doesn't the QSO counts match on all computers?
        >
        > BTW, there were several new uses of N1MM this weekend and all of them
        > commented on how well the program worked. Several new converts to N1MM.
        >
        > Thanks and 73, Philip WV0T

        .
      • Dave Greig
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24, 2013
          I thought computer 0 provided the time for all computers? Do each computer
          that is on the N1MM network need to be manually set to the exact same time?

          Thank You!
          Dave Greig N3BUO
          Phone: (682) 422-6667
          Google Plus: gplus.to/801Tactical
          Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/801Tactical
          http://www.801tactical.com
          Twitter: @801tactical

          On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Most likely explanation for the mis-matched resyncs is that the time
          > stamps were out-of-chronological-sequence. This can happen when each
          > computer clock has a slightly different notion of what time it is.
          >
          > 73,
          > Steve, N2IC
          >
          > On 06/24/2013 07:18 AM, Philip Leonard wrote:
          > > At our field day this year I had 8 computers networked with N1MM. One
          > > was even running Athena real-time log analysis...very cool. I build up
          > > a fresh database file and log on one computer before hand and got all
          > > the computer names setup with IPs. All IPs were static so they wouldn't
          > > be changing on me. I then copied that database to all the other
          > > computers so everything was the same. All computers were running the
          > > same version (v13.5.3). The morning of Field Day everything came up
          > > great. All computers were seeing each other (all green in the info
          > > window) and logging was working as expected.
          > >
          > > Field Day began and off we went, logging like crazy.
          > >
          > > At the end of Field Day I went to check all the computers and found they
          > > all had different QSO counts. What? OK, I said, I'll just resync. So
          > > I resync'ed each computer one at a time (no two were syncing at the same
          > > time). After this they all had different QSO counts but again none
          > > matched. After about 3 rounds of resyncing (again, one at a time) I did
          > > manage to get 3 computers to match on QSO count.
          > >
          > > What am I doing wrong and why doesn't the QSO counts match on all
          > computers?
          > >
          > > BTW, there were several new uses of N1MM this weekend and all of them
          > > commented on how well the program worked. Several new converts to N1MM.
          > >
          > > Thanks and 73, Philip WV0T

          > .

        • John Bednar
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
            Dave,

            From the manual:
            http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Multiple+Computer+Contesting&str
            ucture=N1MM+Logger+Documentation

            "The "Master" station is the one that sets the time, connects to
            packet/telnet, etc."

            I thought computer 0 provided the time for all computers? Do each computer
            that is on the N1MM network need to be manually set to the exact same time?

            Thank You!
            Dave Greig N3BUO
            Phone: (682) 422-6667
            Google Plus: gplus.to/801Tactical
            Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/801Tactical
            http://www.801tactical.com
            Twitter: @801tactical

            On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Most likely explanation for the mis-matched resyncs is that the time
            > stamps were out-of-chronological-sequence. This can happen when each
            > computer clock has a slightly different notion of what time it is.
            >
            > 73,
            > Steve, N2IC
            >
            > On 06/24/2013 07:18 AM, Philip Leonard wrote:
            > > At our field day this year I had 8 computers networked with N1MM.
            > > One was even running Athena real-time log analysis...very cool. I
            > > build up a fresh database file and log on one computer before hand
            > > and got all the computer names setup with IPs. All IPs were static
            > > so they wouldn't be changing on me. I then copied that database to
            > > all the other computers so everything was the same. All computers
            > > were running the same version (v13.5.3). The morning of Field Day
            > > everything came up great. All computers were seeing each other (all
            > > green in the info
            > > window) and logging was working as expected.
            > >
            > > Field Day began and off we went, logging like crazy.
            > >
            > > At the end of Field Day I went to check all the computers and found
            > > they all had different QSO counts. What? OK, I said, I'll just
            > > resync. So I resync'ed each computer one at a time (no two were
            > > syncing at the same time). After this they all had different QSO
            > > counts but again none matched. After about 3 rounds of resyncing
            > > (again, one at a time) I did manage to get 3 computers to match on QSO
            count.

            > > What am I doing wrong and why doesn't the QSO counts match on all
            > computers?
            > >
            > > BTW, there were several new uses of N1MM this weekend and all of
            > > them commented on how well the program worked. Several new converts to
            N1MM.

            > > Thanks and 73, Philip WV0T

            > .

          • John Bednar
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
              Philip,

              Did anyone disable Network Computer Mode during FD?

              Did you substitute or add any computer(s) after the start?

              Was there any indication of network issues (Info window station indicator
              balls not green all the time)?