winkeyer accidentally disconects and N1MM goes crazy

  • ve3dvy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
      Is there any way of recovering without having to use task manager to close N1MM and CW IF if the computer loses contact with the winkeyer USB.

      for me I know what to do but I am worried at Field day should this happen to an N1MM noobe it may cause general pannic if Im not there

      if it looses contact with the rig it will recover by asking for retry it'd be nice if it could do the same with the winkeyer.
    • Robert Chudek - K0RC
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
        In 5+ years of using my Winkeyer I have never had it loose contact with
        the program (short of pulling the USB cable from the keyer, which is
        understandable).

        If you are loosing contact, it sounds like Windows is set to "Save
        Power" on ports that appear to be inactive. Make certain all power
        saving settings are disabled in the operating system to avoid this problem.

        There are two areas to check. One is under Control Panel > Power
        Management which controls the monitor and CPU. The other is under Device
        Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub > Properties >
        Power Management tab.

        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
          Thanks

          Its not loosing contact on its own. just that its field day and some people do silly things My goal is to make it as bullet proof as possible. Ive spent some time trying to break N1MM to see what is needs to recover so that I know what to do at the site I am truly delighted as most of the time its seems to do that on its own very well with perhaps just a re sync. This is the one item that seems to give challenging results. one tug of a connector while arranging things,

          I think in this case (and all others too) is to say to all on site DON'T UNPLUG ANYTHING! EVER! and pray they listen.

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...> wrote:

          > In 5+ years of using my Winkeyer I have never had it loose contact with
          > the program (short of pulling the USB cable from the keyer, which is
          > understandable).
          >
          > If you are loosing contact, it sounds like Windows is set to "Save
          > Power" on ports that appear to be inactive. Make certain all power
          > saving settings are disabled in the operating system to avoid this problem.
          >
          > There are two areas to check. One is under Control Panel > Power
          > Management which controls the monitor and CPU. The other is under Device
          > Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub > Properties >
          > Power Management tab.
          >
          > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

          > On 6/20/2013 10:05 PM, ve3dvy wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there any way of recovering without having to use task manager to
          > > close N1MM and CW IF if the computer loses contact with the winkeyer USB.
          > >
          > > for me I know what to do but I am worried at Field day should this
          > > happen to an N1MM noobe it may cause general pannic if Im not there
          > >
          > > if it looses contact with the rig it will recover by asking for retry
          > > it'd be nice if it could do the same with the winkeyer.

        • N1MM
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
            You could write a batch file to kill cw if.exe at startup.

            http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/29463-kill-processes-using-command-prompt-windows-7-8-a.html

            73,
            Tom - N1MM

            On 6/21/2013 8:01 AM, ve3dvy wrote:

            > Thanks
            >
            > Its not loosing contact on its own. just that its field day and some people do silly things My goal is to make it as bullet proof as possible. Ive spent some time trying to break N1MM to see what is needs to recover so that I know what to do at the site I am truly delighted as most of the time its seems to do that on its own very well with perhaps just a re sync. This is the one item that seems to give challenging results. one tug of a connector while arranging things,
            >
            > I think in this case (and all others too) is to say to all on site DON'T UNPLUG ANYTHING! EVER! and pray they listen.
            >

            > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...> wrote:
            >> In 5+ years of using my Winkeyer I have never had it loose contact with
            >> the program (short of pulling the USB cable from the keyer, which is
            >> understandable).
            >>
            >> If you are loosing contact, it sounds like Windows is set to "Save
            >> Power" on ports that appear to be inactive. Make certain all power
            >> saving settings are disabled in the operating system to avoid this problem.
            >>
            >> There are two areas to check. One is under Control Panel > Power
            >> Management which controls the monitor and CPU. The other is under Device
            >> Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub > Properties >
            >> Power Management tab.
            >>
            >> 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

            >> On 6/20/2013 10:05 PM, ve3dvy wrote:
            >>> Is there any way of recovering without having to use task manager to
            >>> close N1MM and CW IF if the computer loses contact with the winkeyer USB.
            >>>
            >>> for me I know what to do but I am worried at Field day should this
            >>> happen to an N1MM noobe it may cause general pannic if Im not there
            >>>
            >>> if it looses contact with the rig it will recover by asking for retry
            >>> it'd be nice if it could do the same with the winkeyer.

          • John Bednar
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
              VE3DVY,
              I have never had an issue with the WinKey communication.

              If a user unplugs a USB port while the program is running, Windows will remove the virtual COM port from the device table while the program has the port open and communicating. This will likely cause Windows driver issues that will require a computer reboot. This is a Windows & MSCOMM control issue, not a N1MM Logger program issue. This is also true for radio control.

              Exiting and starting the program will close and open the WinKey connection. Opening Config and exiting will do almost the same thing. A WinKey message is output in the Info window in both cases.

              John, K3CT