Re: [N1MM] Newbie problem

  • Vic Lindgren
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
      Clive if you still have N1MM.Zip on your PC
      Just open it up in Winzip CLASSIC and look at the files therein.Your should see 6 files, one of which should be Ham.mdb.If its not listed then you have either deleted it or you have got a corrupted download.
      Let me know and if you have the 6 files then we can try to talk you through the unzip/install method which has worked for me.
      73 de Vic
      G4BYG
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
        Vic Lindgren wrote:
        > Clive if you still have N1MM.Zip on your PC
        > Just open it up in Winzip CLASSIC and look at the files therein.Your should see 6 files, one of which should be Ham.mdb.If its not listed then you have either deleted it or you have got a corrupted download.
        > Let me know and if you have the 6 files then we can try to talk you through the unzip/install method which has worked for me.

        Thanks Vic, I'll try that and revert. I'm just puzzled, as I've *never* had trouble with any version of Winzip before.

        73

        Clive
        GW3NJW
        gw3njw@...
        http://www.gw3njw.org
      • Clive Whelan
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
          Michael Morgan wrote:
          > When you went to install the logger. You said you used WinZip 8. While in
          > WinZip did you click on Install or Extract?

          Neither actually I just double clicked the file and let the file association
          do its stuff as I always do. Anyway, thanks, I'll take another look.

          73

          Clive
          GW3NJW
          gw3njw@...
          http://www.gw3njw.org
        • Clive Whelan
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
            Hi All

            Thanks to everybody who tried to help me on this, particularly
            to Craig.

            I am pleased to say that the problem is solved. What was
            happening was this. Simply double clicking the n1mm.zip file, as
            I have always done with such files, automatically launched the
            setup.exe file, but seemed to throw away the ham.mdb etc files
            which was the root of the problem.

            Going into Winzip classic ( uncharted territory for me!) offered
            the sensible option of just extracting the files, and then all
            was well. As a newbie I hate to be critical, but I do think the
            way this zip file is configured is a problem simply waiting to
            happen, and it happened to me! Bear in mind that I am not
            exactly computer illiterate, but for routine matters such as
            unzipping, don't really want to know the ins and outs of things.

            Anyway nuff sed, the prog. is up and running, and at first sight
            I am impressed. Got both my radios interfaced and working,
            although LPT keying is not working yet. Don't worry I'll read
            the manual first!

            btw this is coming from my alternative ISP, but any private
            messages sent to either address *will* be OK.

            Thanks again everyone for your help which is appreciated.

            73

            Clive

            GW3NJW
            gw3njw@...
            http://www.gw3njw.org
          • Tom Wagner
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
              I have changed the initial install so that it no
              longer requires copying any files after running setup.
              You still need to download the latest exe, help and
              pdf files.

              This is an untested install, so I would be interested
              in feedback from anyone who installs it.

              I also uploaded 1.1.130, which has some minor
              functional changes, but a lot of housekeeping changes.
              Watch out for odd things to break, since the changes
              were to almost every module. (For those who are
              technically inclined, the changes including things
              like using Mid$ instead of Mid and the like.)

              73,
              Tom - N1MM

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Gary
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
                Does this mean that even if I download and install the latest
                .EXE file, I still have to download other files separately ?

                Should I have done that also in the very beginning, when I first
                installed the software ?

                Also, the software doesn't seem to "know" about any contests.
                Is there some file for this ? Or do I have to program in all the
                scoring rules and such-like for each contest ?

                Thanks very much.
                Overall, I like the software.

                73 de AA2IZ. Gary

                > I have changed the initial install so that it no
                > longer requires copying any files after running setup.
                > You still need to download the latest exe, help and
                > pdf files.
                >
                > This is an untested install, so I would be interested
                > in feedback from anyone who installs it.
                >
                > I also uploaded 1.1.130, which has some minor
                > functional changes, but a lot of housekeeping changes.
                > Watch out for odd things to break, since the changes
                > were to almost every module. (For those who are
                > technically inclined, the changes including things
                > like using Mid$ instead of Mid and the like.)
                >
                > 73,
                > Tom - N1MM

              • Tom Wagner
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
                  No. If the program works, you are all set. Since
                  you are new, I would not recommend upgrading to
                  1.1.130
                  unless you need to create a Cabrillo file for IARU
                  (which you can't possibly need to do for the next
                  week).

                  The program "knows" about CQWW, ARRLDX, ARRL 10M,
                  SS, IARU, FD, and CQWPX. Others are in progress. I
                  am
                  hoping to redesign the contest code so that
                  independent
                  programmers may write support modules for their
                  favorite contests.

                  You are probably confused on the Choose Contest
                  dialog.
                  "Create a new contest" means create a log for a new
                  contest. It will tell you if the contest is supported
                  yet.

                  Tom - N1MM

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
                    Excellent !

                    First, thanks for the prompt reply.

                    Second, you are correct in that I was using the choose contest dialog
                    improperly. Once I used it correctly, then I had the whole nice list of
                    contests to choose from.

                    Thanks !!

                    73 de AA2IZ. Gary