Sent Exchange off by one

  • Jeff Yanko
    Message 1 of 18 , May 27, 2013
      Hi all,

      I did a little operating in the CQWPX CW contest this past weekend and after
      I came home from work I wanted to get a Cabrillo file generated so I can
      submit it. I rechecked the score then I generated the Cabrillo file. When
      I opened the file to view it the number "1" QSO was not listed and started
      with "2". However, it appears that the first QSO I made was with the
      station listed in "2". How could "1" have been skipped over? My assumption
      would be not to renumber the short list of QSO's since it might throw it
      off. Anybody have a clue as to what might have happened?

      73,

      Jeff WB3JFS
    • Pete Smith N4ZR
      Message 2 of 18 , May 27, 2013
        Jeff, if you look at the Log window, does it show a sent number of 1 for
        the first QSO?

        73, Pete N4ZR
        Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
        http://reversebeacon.net,
        blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
        For spots, please go to your favorite
        ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

        On 5/27/2013 3:11 AM, Jeff Yanko wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I did a little operating in the CQWPX CW contest this past weekend and after
        > I came home from work I wanted to get a Cabrillo file generated so I can
        > submit it. I rechecked the score then I generated the Cabrillo file. When
        > I opened the file to view it the number "1" QSO was not listed and started
        > with "2". However, it appears that the first QSO I made was with the
        > station listed in "2". How could "1" have been skipped over? My assumption
        > would be not to renumber the short list of QSO's since it might throw it
        > off. Anybody have a clue as to what might have happened?
        >

        > 73,
        >

        > Jeff WB3JFS

      • Jeff Yanko
        Message 3 of 18 , May 27, 2013
          Hi Pete,

          Yes it does. That's what confused me further seeing that it was at 001. I do recall making some test QSO's prior to the contest then wiping the info, but it should still reset to 001.

          73,

          Jeff WB3JFS

          Jeff, if you look at the Log window, does it show a sent number of 1 for
          the first QSO?

          73, Pete N4ZR
          Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
          http://reversebeacon.net,
          blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
          For spots, please go to your favorite
          ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

          On 5/27/2013 3:11 AM, Jeff Yanko wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I did a little operating in the CQWPX CW contest this past weekend and after
          > I came home from work I wanted to get a Cabrillo file generated so I can
          > submit it. I rechecked the score then I generated the Cabrillo file. When
          > I opened the file to view it the number "1" QSO was not listed and started
          > with "2". However, it appears that the first QSO I made was with the
          > station listed in "2". How could "1" have been skipped over? My assumption
          > would be not to renumber the short list of QSO's since it might throw it
          > off. Anybody have a clue as to what might have happened?
          >

          > 73,
          >

          > Jeff WB3JFS

        • rich_ve3ki
          Message 4 of 18 , May 27, 2013
            The important thing is to report what was actually sent. The number that appears in the Cabrillo file is not there to tell the adjudicators the contact number, it's there to tell them what exchange you sent to the other station. If the exchange was sent by the computer, it is by far most likely that what is in the file is what the computer actually sent. If you were sending the exchanges by hand, then it is possible that what the computer thought you were sending and what you actually sent were different, in which case editing might be appropriate.

            73,
            Rich VE3KI

            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Yanko" <wb3jfs@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I did a little operating in the CQWPX CW contest this past weekend and after
            > I came home from work I wanted to get a Cabrillo file generated so I can
            > submit it. I rechecked the score then I generated the Cabrillo file. When
            > I opened the file to view it the number "1" QSO was not listed and started
            > with "2". However, it appears that the first QSO I made was with the
            > station listed in "2". How could "1" have been skipped over? My assumption
            > would be not to renumber the short list of QSO's since it might throw it
            > off. Anybody have a clue as to what might have happened?
            >

            > 73,
            >

            > Jeff WB3JFS

          • Jeff Yanko
            Message 5 of 18 , May 27, 2013
              Hi Rich,

              I was letting the program generate the exchange and of course it would increment as it should. I'm just baffled as to where "001" went to. Yet, the first QSO I made shows up as "002", which is good since it would indicate the starting point, though 001 would've been preferred.

              73,

              Jeff WB3JFS

              The important thing is to report what was actually sent. The number that appears in the Cabrillo file is not there to tell the adjudicators the contact number, it's there to tell them what exchange you sent to the other station. If the exchange was sent by the computer, it is by far most likely that what is in the file is what the computer actually sent. If you were sending the exchanges by hand, then it is possible that what the computer thought you were sending and what you actually sent were different, in which case editing might be appropriate.

              73,
              Rich VE3KI

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Yanko" <wb3jfs@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I did a little operating in the CQWPX CW contest this past weekend and after
              > I came home from work I wanted to get a Cabrillo file generated so I can
              > submit it. I rechecked the score then I generated the Cabrillo file. When
              > I opened the file to view it the number "1" QSO was not listed and started
              > with "2". However, it appears that the first QSO I made was with the
              > station listed in "2". How could "1" have been skipped over? My assumption
              > would be not to renumber the short list of QSO's since it might throw it
              > off. Anybody have a clue as to what might have happened?
              >

              > 73,
              >

              > Jeff WB3JFS

            • Randy Lake
              Message 6 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                Was the "001" contact outside the contest time period? 23:59:59

                Randy N1KWF

                On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Jeff Yanko <wb3jfs@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi Pete,
                >
                > Yes it does. That's what confused me further seeing that it was at 001. I
                > do recall making some test QSO's prior to the contest then wiping the info,
                > but it should still reset to 001.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Jeff WB3JFS

                Randy Lake N1KWF
                73 Gunn Rd.
                Keene,NH

              • Jeff Yanko
                Message 7 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                  Hi Randy,

                  No. I didn't start operating until 1735z Saturday morning, well after it
                  had started and well before it ended.

                  73,

                  Jeff WB3JFS

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                    Were you set up for either SO2V or SO2R?

                    > Was the "001" contact outside the contest time period? 23:59:59
                    >
                    > Randy N1KWF
                    >
                    > On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Jeff Yanko <wb3jfs@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> **
                    >>

                    >> Hi Pete,
                    >>
                    >> Yes it does. That's what confused me further seeing that it was at 001. I
                    >> do recall making some test QSO's prior to the contest then wiping the
                    >> info,
                    >> but it should still reset to 001.
                    >>
                    >> 73,
                    >>
                    >> Jeff WB3JFS

                  • Pete Smith N4ZR
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                      I will gladly defer to the N1MM team, but my impression is that your
                      best move, particularly given that you have a relatively small number of
                      QSOs, is to renumber in your Cabrillo file so that the number to QSO
                      relationship is correct as shown in your Log window. You can do this
                      easily in Excel, or just by hand.

                      I have no clue what you did, but suspect that those test QSOs have
                      something to do with it.

                      On 5/27/2013 6:52 AM, Jeff Yanko wrote:
                      > Hi Pete,
                      >
                      > Yes it does. That's what confused me further seeing that it was at 001. I do recall making some test QSO's prior to the contest then wiping the info, but it should still reset to 001.
                      >

                      > 73,
                      >
                      > Jeff WB3JFS

                    • rich_ve3ki
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                        If you had logged a dummy test contact before the contest and later deleted it, the serial number 001 might have been already reserved and the serial number actually sent in your first contest contact might have been 002.

                        73,
                        Rich VE3KI

                        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Yanko" <wb3jfs@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Rich,
                        >
                        > I was letting the program generate the exchange and of course it would increment as it should. I'm just baffled as to where "001" went to. Yet, the first QSO I made shows up as "002", which is good since it would indicate the starting point, though 001 would've been preferred.
                        >

                        > 73,
                        >
                        > Jeff WB3JFS

                      • Rex Maner
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                          Don't Change the QSO nrs. The ones shown are probably what were sent and
                          changing will show as a bad contact for the people you worked.

                          Rex K7QQ

                          I will gladly defer to the N1MM team, but my impression is that your
                          best move, particularly given that you have a relatively small number of
                          QSOs, is to renumber in your Cabrillo file so that the number to QSO
                          relationship is correct as shown in your Log window. You can do this
                          easily in Excel, or just by hand.

                          I have no clue what you did, but suspect that those test QSOs have
                          something to do with it.

                          73, Pete N4ZR
                          Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                          http://reversebeacon.net,
                          blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                          For spots, please go to your favorite
                          ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                          On 5/27/2013 6:52 AM, Jeff Yanko wrote:
                          > Hi Pete,
                          >
                          > Yes it does. That's what confused me further seeing that it was at 001. I
                          do recall making some test QSO's prior to the contest then wiping the info,
                          but it should still reset to 001.

                          > 73,
                          >
                          > Jeff WB3JFS

                          <http://newsletter.adsonar.com/nwrss/imgs/nwr_1560786_36140222_379054_207076
                          7_4_2.PNG?placementId=1560786&plid=379054&pid=2070767&ps=36140222&rotation=4
                          &type=2&zw=500&zh=70&v=5&url=NA&uid=>

                        • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                            Here is another data point.

                            I logged about 5 test QSOs before the official beginning of WPX. I used
                            N1MM Logger 13.5.2 and am set up in SO1V mode. I didn't remember the
                            correct command syntax for 'wiping the log' so I manually right clicked
                            and selected the third menu item (Delete Contact) for each QSO.

                            Both my log and Cabrillo start with serial number 001 in the 'Sent Field'.

                            KØRC ran in multi-op category this weekend. The only issue that came up
                            was one operator said "the program won't sent CQ" and was poking F-keys
                            with no response. They didn't respond to my poking either. I shut the
                            Logger down and restarted it and it operated without any issue for the
                            rest of the weekend. I have no idea how the logger got into the "it
                            won't send CW" mode, but restarting was the fastest solution I could
                            come up with at the moment. FWIW, the operator normally uses WinTest and
                            may have pressed some key combination that threw Logger out of CW mode.
                            I didn't spend any time troubleshooting and we were back in operation
                            within a minute or two.

                            73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                            On 5/27/2013 7:55 AM, rich_ve3ki wrote:

                            > If you had logged a dummy test contact before the contest and later
                            > deleted it, the serial number 001 might have been already reserved and
                            > the serial number actually sent in your first contest contact might
                            > have been 002.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Rich VE3KI
                            >
                            > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jeff Yanko" <wb3jfs@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Rich,
                            > >
                            > > I was letting the program generate the exchange and of course it
                            > would increment as it should. I'm just baffled as to where "001" went
                            > to. Yet, the first QSO I made shows up as "002", which is good since
                            > it would indicate the starting point, though 001 would've been preferred.
                            > >

                            > > 73,
                            > >
                            > > Jeff WB3JFS

                          • Rex Maner
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                              Bob

                              I operated SO1V, the only mode I know and I have a problem that shows up .
                              When using a keyboard that has only usb plug on the end. I sometimes have a
                              problem with the (( ‘ “ )) key when trying to log a contact. With the
                              small seven pin plug in type it doesn’t happen as often, however it does
                              happen. I had almost the same action with my old XP PRO sp-3

                              The only cure I’ve found is to boot the computer. A 2 or 3 minute process.

                              Computer Win 7 64 Processor AMD 4 gb Lots of hard drive space. I
                              have 4 regular com ports and about 8 u USB slots.

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                                If you have to reboot the computer, then the problem is likely not N1MM
                                but rather the keyboard or keyboard driver.

                                If the problem is resolved by restarting the Logger (not rebooting the
                                computer), then it is likely a configuration problem. Are you using Auto
                                Hot Key to redefine key functions?

                                73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 27, 2013
                                  That's what I'm thinking but for the life of me I keep thinking I sent 001 in the first QSO. Could be what I'm thinking and not what actually happened. My last QSO number was exactly what I sent and I know for certain it was correct.

                                  73,

                                  Jeff WB3JFS

                                  If you had logged a dummy test contact before the contest and later deleted it, the serial number 001 might have been already reserved and the serial number actually sent in your first contest contact might have been 002.

                                  73,
                                  Rich VE3KI

                                  --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Yanko" <wb3jfs@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Rich,
                                  >
                                  > I was letting the program generate the exchange and of course it would increment as it should. I'm just baffled as to where "001" went to. Yet, the first QSO I made shows up as "002", which is good since it would indicate the starting point, though 001 would've been preferred.
                                  >

                                  > 73,
                                  >
                                  > Jeff WB3JFS

                                • Glenn Rattmann
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 28, 2013
                                    Operation of the F3/Log It key substitute (222)
                                    was erratic in CW WPX. Started contest using Ver
                                    13.03.02, moved to 13.05.02 (same database) but
                                    problem persisted. The key works properly at
                                    least once, following program restart (whether PC
                                    is rebooted or not), but then may fail after
                                    working once, or sometimes fails after several
                                    proper operations. The F3 TU is not sent, and
                                    the entered callsign is not logged.

                                    Keycode 222 is verified in the selection window
                                    for this key. The Insert Substitute key (186) works correctly.

                                    I use a PS-2 keyboard, and substituted a
                                    different PS-2 keyboard at one point. No improvement. No AutoHotKey in use.

                                    I disabled the .ini file and allowed the program
                                    to build a new one. I added some parameters to
                                    finish setting up for WPX again (same database),
                                    then tested. The key worked ok for some QSOs, then failed again.

                                    This is a mature station with no known
                                    RF-in-the-shack issues and no changes. Haven't
                                    had time yet to go back and try a late Ver12 from
                                    last year-- I know there were no Key 222 issues ever seen here with those.

                                    Using WinXPsp3, native LPT1 port keying, no
                                    WinKeyer. No USB ports are used. No Internet connection used.
                                    SingleCore Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz with 2 Meg RAM.

                                    Saw that Rex had posted a similar problem.

                                    Thanks!

                                    --Glenn K6NA

                                    At 07:44 PM 5/27/2013, you wrote:

                                    >If you have to reboot the computer, then the problem is likely not N1MM
                                    >but rather the keyboard or keyboard driver.
                                    >
                                    >If the problem is resolved by restarting the Logger (not rebooting the
                                    >computer), then it is likely a configuration problem. Are you using Auto
                                    >Hot Key to redefine key functions?
                                    >
                                    >73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                                    >On 5/27/2013 1:54 PM, Rex Maner wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Bob
                                    > >
                                    > > I operated SO1V, the only mode I know and I have a problem that shows up .
                                    > > When using a keyboard that has only usb plug on the end. I sometimes
                                    > > have a
                                    > > problem with the (( ' " )) key when trying to log a contact. With the
                                    > > small seven pin plug in type it doesn't happen as often, however it does
                                    > > happen. I had almost the same action with my old XP PRO sp-3
                                    > >
                                    > > The only cure I've found is to boot the computer. A 2 or 3 minute process.
                                    > >
                                    > > Computer Win 7 64 Processor AMD 4 gb Lots of hard drive space. I
                                    > > have 4 regular com ports and about 8 u USB slots.
                                    snip

                                  • dl8mbs
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 28, 2013
                                      Hi Jeff,
                                      besides the diagnosis, leave the cbr as it is and inform the organizers together with the log. They can see from corresponding logs whether you started with 001 or 002. It is up to the adjucators, but systematic errors then often are allowed to be cured like time errors with tools like lm (wrong time zone setting). In WAG contest we have about two such cases each year. It is only bad if participants try to cure based on guessing, or staying silent about a known problem. It can hurt your corresponding stations as generally the sent numbers are not in doubt.
                                      73 Chris DL8MBS
                                    • John Bednar
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 29, 2013
                                        Glenn,

                                        If your keyboard isn't being blocked by RF, this is likely a sign that your
                                        computer is busy running other things.

                                        You didn’t mention if you were running other programs on the computer or use
                                        a local skimmer. This will have an impact and your computer may not be able
                                        to keep up.

                                        Make sure the virus software isn't scanning, program updates are not
                                        running, windows is updated, the computer time update can update, wireless
                                        isn't enabled & searching, networked computer mode isn't enabled, etc.

                                        It may be a good time to open the Task Manager and see how many processes
                                        are running, then use MSCONFIG and eliminate the un-necessary startup items.

                                        Finally, it probably wouldn't hurt to test with a NEW database.