Re: FT-897 CW & PTT Questions

  • rip_td
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2013
      Sorry for the confusion,

      “My thinking is that if I add to this same interface:
      DTR (DB9, pin 4) to a 3.5mm stereo plug
      Then I can plug the interface into the KEY jack on the radio for keyboard and macro generated CW from N1MM.”
      Yes you can, but it is very inconvenient because you have to switch radio from paddle to straight key and when you want to fill something in by hand you can't use your paddle.
      My solution for CW was:
      Use Data PTT pin to generate CW from computer through DTR, and thats is all you need for working CW with Logger.
      For Digital modes connect your sound card to Data 1200 IN/OUT, radio will sense when there is a signal and will go into TX (you have to disable VOX from the radio d menu. The inconvenience is that VOX works only from Microphone or Data but not both). No PTT is needed.
      For SSB you have to do nothing just speak and log contacts. However if you want use Logger Voice keyer feature than VOX must stay disabled and you have to use Microphone PTT button.

      The unused RTS pin you can use for keying an amplifier or RX/TX antennas.

      Hope I didn’t confused you more.
      Jon 73