Where local civil time is always UTC

  • Chuck Counselman
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2013
      At <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Off+Topic%2C+But+Nice+to+Know> under the heading "5. GMT IS GMT, OR NOT?" it is stated, "If you absolutely gotta put your computer on GMT because you're tired of resetting some old DOS software that doesn't know any better, you can set the computer for (GMT) Casablanca, Monrovia. Those places never go on daylight savings time, so their local time really is the same as GMT all year round, not like Greenwich."

      It is no longer true that Casablanca never goes on "Daylight Savings Time." For the first time, this (2013) Spring) I noticed that my Garmin nuvi GPS receiver was displaying UTC+1h (Old-timers say GMT+1h.) for the local civil time (LCT) in Casablanca. I checked Wikipedia; and, sho'nuff, now Casablanca observes Daylight Savings Time; i.e., clocks in Casablanca are set one hour ahead of UTC in the Spring and are set back to UTC in the Fall.

      Now, to get my GPS receiver to display UTC, I tell it to display LCT for Yamoussoukro, the official political capital of Côte d'Ivoire. Monrovia, the capital city of Liberia, also uses UTC as LCT year-round.

      In case you're wondering, the clock in the Windoze pee cee that runs N1MM Logger for me is set to display the LCT of my station QTH, near Boston, MA, USA.

      -Chuck W1HIS