RE: [N1MM] FT-897 CW & PTT Questions

  • John Bednar
    Message 1 of 9 , May 19, 2013
      Julianne,

      I suspect that those that connect the PTT line to the CW key jack will hear
      a constant tone. We have many FT897 users that don't have any issue with CW.
      Some commercial interfaces lack a CW interface for DTR. The owners of this
      commercial interface connect the RTS line to the radio CW key jack, this of
      course results in a constant tone. This is not a program issue and what you
      read is incorrect.

      When you define hardware PTT (RTS) in Config, it is used on all modes. If
      you have a hardware PTT interface connected to the radio, why wouldn't you
      use it for all modes?

      Radio command PTT (software PTT) can be enabled and disabled by mode in the
      radio COM port setup window.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 20, 2013
        Julianne,
        John is right, for this radio PTT on Data jack works only for digital modes for SSB and CW it emits constant tone when keyed. However if you could connect DTR line to Data jack PTT pin you could use this for keying CW it works just as good as you would use Key jack, while to the Key jack you could connect your paddle. For PTT use Radio command or use VOX for all modes. RTS leave not connected.

        Jon 73

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@...> wrote:

        > Julianne,
        >
        > I suspect that those that connect the PTT line to the CW key jack will hear
        > a constant tone. We have many FT897 users that don't have any issue with CW.
        > Some commercial interfaces lack a CW interface for DTR. The owners of this
        > commercial interface connect the RTS line to the radio CW key jack, this of
        > course results in a constant tone. This is not a program issue and what you
        > read is incorrect.
        >
        > When you define hardware PTT (RTS) in Config, it is used on all modes. If
        > you have a hardware PTT interface connected to the radio, why wouldn't you
        > use it for all modes?
        >
        > Radio command PTT (software PTT) can be enabled and disabled by mode in the
        > radio COM port setup window.
        >
        > John, K3CT

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 9 , May 20, 2013
          The easiest solution is to use no PTT (RTS=NONE) on the Radio port
          and use a second serial port/USB converter for digital (defined as
          the "digital" port). That way the "digital" port can create PTT
          (and FSK if needed) for RTTY/PSK without compromising CW operation.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

        • kf5rdn
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2013
            John,

            Thanks for your quick reply, and my apologies for this belated word of thanks.

            Your words give me great confidence that I should be able to make my setup work properly. N1MM is installed and I just received the last of my components in today's mail and will hopefully be up and running this weekend. I'm working to get set up for a GOTA station for Field Day, so it's not urgent and sometimes life gets in the way of hobbies.

            I'm still just a bit confused on how the FT-897 handles PTT for CW, but with a little experimentation I'm sure I can get that figured out.

            Many thanks and 73!

            Julianne, KF5RDN

          • kf5rdn
            Message 5 of 9 , May 22, 2013
              Thanks for your reply, Jon! Now I'm really confused :-)

              (NOTE: for all connections indicated below, assume each connection to be fully isolated between PC and radio and appropriate voltage dividers included in circuit)

              For some digital modes applications that I want to use, I needed an interface that connects:
              RTS (DB9, pin 7) to PTT (6-pin DATA jack, pin 3),
              (computer speaker jack) to IN (6-pin DATA jack, pin 1), and
              (computer mic jack) to DATA OUT 1200 bps (6-pin DATA jack, pin 5)
              with appropriate grounds connected for computer and for radio.

              My thinking is that if I add to this same interface:
              DTR (DB9, pin 4) to a 3.5mm stereo plug

              Then I can plug the interface into the KEY jack on the radio for keyboard and macro generated CW from N1MM.

              Because the DATA jack on this radio only takes as inputs PTT and DATA IN, I don't see how I can keep RTS for PTT as needed for my other applications and DATA IN for the soundcard and find any other input on the jack for the DTR line to be separated for use for CW. Anyway, that's why I'm looking at sending DTR to the KEY jack on the radio.

              If I can't get this to work, then I may be looking at making a second interface to be used only with N1MM. You suggested connecting DTR line to PTT on data jack, but what pin off the COM port would I then connect to the DATA IN jack on the radio?

              I have seen some designs (particularly the Sound Card Buddy at SpareTimeGizmos.com) that connect both the DTR and RTS pins to the PTT. That would reduce my circuitry by one opto-isolator over what I have planned and obviate the need for two separate interfaces. What do you think?

              At this point, perhaps I'm looking at bread-boarding before I go through a final soldered construction.

              Thanks for your help! 73

              Julianne

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "rip_td" <rip_tide25@...> wrote:

              > Julianne,
              > John is right, for this radio PTT on Data jack works only for digital modes for SSB and CW it emits constant tone when keyed. However if you could connect DTR line to Data jack PTT pin you could use this for keying CW it works just as good as you would use Key jack, while to the Key jack you could connect your paddle. For PTT use Radio command or use VOX for all modes. RTS leave not connected.
              >
              > Jon 73
              >

              > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Julianne,
              > >
              > > I suspect that those that connect the PTT line to the CW key jack will hear
              > > a constant tone. We have many FT897 users that don't have any issue with CW.
              > > Some commercial interfaces lack a CW interface for DTR. The owners of this
              > > commercial interface connect the RTS line to the radio CW key jack, this of
              > > course results in a constant tone. This is not a program issue and what you
              > > read is incorrect.
              > >
              > > When you define hardware PTT (RTS) in Config, it is used on all modes. If
              > > you have a hardware PTT interface connected to the radio, why wouldn't you
              > > use it for all modes?
              > >
              > > Radio command PTT (software PTT) can be enabled and disabled by mode in the
              > > radio COM port setup window.
              > >
              > > John, K3CT

            • kf5rdn
              Message 6 of 9 , May 22, 2013
                Thanks for the assist, Joe! Not sure I've got a full handle on all this yet, but would your suggestion be to use two com ports - one for the radio CAT cable with RTS=none, and a second com port for digital ops supporting PTT from RTS to the DATA jack and digital RTTY/PSK from where? DTR? Does that enable CW on DTR also, or does that leave CW direct from a paddle or keyer into the KEY port on the radio? I'd like to be able to have N1MM send CW from keyboard and macros.

                73,
                Julianne, KF5RDN

                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

                > The easiest solution is to use no PTT (RTS=NONE) on the Radio port
                > and use a second serial port/USB converter for digital (defined as
                > the "digital" port). That way the "digital" port can create PTT
                > (and FSK if needed) for RTTY/PSK without compromising CW operation.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > ... Joe, W4TV
                >

                > On 5/20/2013 11:59 AM, rip_td wrote:
                > > Julianne,
                > > John is right, for this radio PTT on Data jack works only for digital modes for SSB and CW it emits constant tone when keyed. However if you could connect DTR line to Data jack PTT pin you could use this for keying CW it works just as good as you would use Key jack, while to the Key jack you could connect your paddle. For PTT use Radio command or use VOX for all modes. RTS leave not connected.
                > >
                > > Jon 73
                > >

                > > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Julianne,
                > >>
                > >> I suspect that those that connect the PTT line to the CW key jack will hear
                > >> a constant tone. We have many FT897 users that don't have any issue with CW.
                > >> Some commercial interfaces lack a CW interface for DTR. The owners of this
                > >> commercial interface connect the RTS line to the radio CW key jack, this of
                > >> course results in a constant tone. This is not a program issue and what you
                > >> read is incorrect.
                > >>
                > >> When you define hardware PTT (RTS) in Config, it is used on all modes. If
                > >> you have a hardware PTT interface connected to the radio, why wouldn't you
                > >> use it for all modes?
                > >>
                > >> Radio command PTT (software PTT) can be enabled and disabled by mode in the
                > >> radio COM port setup window.
                > >>
                > >> John, K3CT

              • Joe Subich, W4TV
                Message 7 of 9 , May 22, 2013
                  Julianne,

                  Unfortunately, N1MM Logger does not provide the same support - QSK in
                  CW and PTT in the other modes on one serial port - as some other
                  contest logging software.

                  > Does that enable CW on DTR also, or does that leave CW direct from a
                  > paddle or keyer into the KEY port on the radio?

                  One can have radio control and CW on one one port *without PTT* (RTS
                  = None) and have PTT for only digital modes on a separate port. MMTTY
                  or MMVARI will generate PTT during digital operation on a separate
                  port (Set the port on the MMTTY/MMVARI TX tab and use a port *higher*
                  than COM8). It does require two serial ports (or two USB to serial
                  converters) but is the only way I know to handle the unique behavior
                  of the FT-817/857/897 within the limitations of N1MM Logger.

                  73,

                  ... Joe, W4TV

                • rip_td
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 26, 2013
                    Sorry for the confusion,

                    “My thinking is that if I add to this same interface:
                    DTR (DB9, pin 4) to a 3.5mm stereo plug
                    Then I can plug the interface into the KEY jack on the radio for keyboard and macro generated CW from N1MM.”
                    Yes you can, but it is very inconvenient because you have to switch radio from paddle to straight key and when you want to fill something in by hand you can't use your paddle.
                    My solution for CW was:
                    Use Data PTT pin to generate CW from computer through DTR, and thats is all you need for working CW with Logger.
                    For Digital modes connect your sound card to Data 1200 IN/OUT, radio will sense when there is a signal and will go into TX (you have to disable VOX from the radio d menu. The inconvenience is that VOX works only from Microphone or Data but not both). No PTT is needed.
                    For SSB you have to do nothing just speak and log contacts. However if you want use Logger Voice keyer feature than VOX must stay disabled and you have to use Microphone PTT button.

                    The unused RTS pin you can use for keying an amplifier or RX/TX antennas.

                    Hope I didn’t confused you more.
                    Jon 73