RE: [N1MM] Re: Nevada Mustang Round-UP

  • k3ct
    Message 1 of 23 , May 11 12:40 PM
      No. Looks like the sponsor changed the rules and we weren't notified.

      John, K3CT

      Message 2 of 23 , May 11 2:41 PM
        I'm in the process of setting N1MM up on 2 new machines, one a windows Vista and the other a Windows 7. Did a full install of N1MM and then the latest version on both machines, no issues at all. As I went to configure the com ports, I ran into a problem where I cannot start the COM port tied to the radio control line. When I drill down on the COM port, I get the error of "cannot start port". Have the latest drivers installed. However, the Prolific driver won't work on the COM port for radio control. Makes no sense.
        This should be a no brainer as I've installed N1MM many many times and have configured it on various radios. This is my personal radio, PC's Rigblaster Pro and 756 Pro III. All worked great about a month ago on my old machine but for whatever reason, I can't get it going on these two new machines.
        To recap:
        Insttallng N1MM on a Windows Vista and Windows 7 machine. No issues at all
        Can't configure the COM port that controls the radio on either machine. Keep getting 8015 error on both machines. Seems like the driver won't take on this port.
        Rebooting each machine does cause the Rigblaster Pro to beep at me like it always does so it appears there is good connectivity between the PC and Rigblaster.
        Swapping cables didn't fix it. TheCOM port error follows the port configured for radio control.
        Swapping Rigblaster Pros didn't fix it.
        I'm a bit stumped and clearly missing something. Any help is appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Steve
        KC3WX

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 23 , May 11 3:02 PM
          > However, the Prolific driver won't work on the COM port for radio
          > control. Makes no sense.

          Many of Prolific's drivers are defective when used with software
          written in VB6 or other programming environments that use the
          Microsoft Communications Toolbox. There are two options: 1) find
          a newer driver for your operating system that works correctly with
          the Microsoft Communications Toolbox or 2) replace the USB to serial
          converter with one that uses either FTDI or Silicon Labs (as used in
          the Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu transceivers with an internal USB port)
          chip sets and drivers.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          Message 4 of 23 , May 11 3:33 PM
            Steve,

            Prolific chipset devices are known to have problems when used with Vista or
            Windows 7.

            Look on the N1MM website:
            N1MM Logger Documentation > Digging Deeper > Interfacing > USB
            Interface Devices > 1. User Evaluation of USB to Serial I/O Interface
            Devices for use with N1MM Logger

            Message 5 of 23 , May 12 10:29 AM
              Below problem has been resolved.
              Turns out, and I knew this but forgot, Prolific chip sets do not play nice with Vista and Windows 7. I did get it working with an older version of Vista but it's FUBAR with a newer version of Vista and 7. FTDI chip set works with Vista and 7. All is well now.
              Thanks Joe!
              Steve
              KC3WX