Nevada Mustang Round-UP

  • kk7xx
    Message 1 of 23 , May 9, 2013
      Hello,

      I just started using the N1MM Logger program this last weekend for the 7QSO Party. It worked great since it already had the QSO party set up and I just needed to select it.

      The Nevada QSO Party group is have a Nevada Mustang Round-Up this weekend. I did not see where I could find this event in the program.

      How do I set N1MM logger up properly to recognize the 17 - 3 and 4 letter county designators and to score it properly as well as to take into account the multipliers?

      Here is the link to the site if anyone can quick me some quick tips. I would really appreciate it.

      http://www.nvqsoparty.info/nevada-mustang-round-up.html

      Thanks again,

      Luke - KK7XX
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 23 , May 9, 2013
        Nice website! I would love to be there actually participating in the
        round up between sessions at the radio. :)

        73
        Greg
        AB7R

        On 5/9/13, kk7xx <rohn.luke@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I just started using the N1MM Logger program this last weekend for the 7QSO
        > Party. It worked great since it already had the QSO party set up and I just
        > needed to select it.
        >
        > The Nevada QSO Party group is have a Nevada Mustang Round-Up this weekend. I
        > did not see where I could find this event in the program.
        >
        > How do I set N1MM logger up properly to recognize the 17 - 3 and 4 letter
        > county designators and to score it properly as well as to take into account
        > the multipliers?
        >
        > Here is the link to the site if anyone can quick me some quick tips. I would
        > really appreciate it.
        >
        > http://www.nvqsoparty.info/nevada-mustang-round-up.html
        >
        > Thanks again,
        >
        > Luke - KK7XX

      • John Bednar
        Message 3 of 23 , May 9, 2013
          Luke,

          Log Type = QSO Party
          State for Log Type = NV

          Looks like they are all three letter abbreviations.

          We were not notified of any changes for 2013.

          John, K3CT

          CAR
          CHU
          CLA
          DOU
          ELK
          ESM
          EUR
          HUM
          LAN
          LIN
          LYO
          MIN
          NYE
          PER
          STO
          WAS
          WHI

          Message 4 of 23 , May 9, 2013
            Luke

            Open N1MM
            under File select New Log in Database

            Log Type QSO Party

            Select under Contest
            on the Right side, State for Log Type QSOParty
            NV

            and fill in the rest of the New contest info.

            Rex K7QQ

            Message 5 of 23 , May 9, 2013
              Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I am all set up for the contest now.

              Luke - KK7XX

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Rex Maner" <k7qq@...> wrote:

              > Luke
              >
              > Open N1MM
              > under File select New Log in Database
              >
              > Log Type QSO Party
              >
              > Select under Contest
              > on the Right side, State for Log Type QSOParty
              > NV
              >
              > and fill in the rest of the New contest info.
              >
              > Rex K7QQ

            • kk7xx
              Message 6 of 23 , May 9, 2013
                Hello John,

                The only one I see on their website as 4 letters (and it could be an error) is Storey County. They are showing it as Stor.

                I don't think it would matter anyhow. I am sure they will figure the logs out.

                Luke, KK7XX

                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@...> wrote:

                > Luke,
                >
                > Log Type = QSO Party
                > State for Log Type = NV
                >
                > Looks like they are all three letter abbreviations.
                >
                > We were not notified of any changes for 2013.
                >
                > John, K3CT
                >

                > CAR
                > CHU
                > CLA
                > DOU
                > ELK
                > ESM
                > EUR
                > HUM
                > LAN
                > LIN
                > LYO
                > MIN
                > NYE
                > PER
                > STO
                > WAS
                > WHI

              • Rex Maner
                Message 7 of 23 , May 9, 2013
                  Juke

                  The logging program will not accept an incorrect entry. You might bring up the multipliers for the party and check what is correct.

                  Open the Log then under Window select Multipliers. From out of state Log it shows

                  The seventeen Nevada counties are: Carson City, Churchill, Clark, Douglas, Elko, Esmeralda,
                  Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Lyon, Mineral, Nye, Pershing, Storey, Washoe, White Pine

                  Try HELP menu and look up rules for This contest or WA7BNM

                  Rex k7qq

                  The only one I see on their website as 4 letters (and it could be an error) is Storey County. They are showing it as Stor.

                  I don't think it would matter anyhow. I am sure they will figure the logs out.

                  Luke, KK7XX

                  --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@...> wrote:

                  > Luke,
                  >
                  > Log Type = QSO Party
                  > State for Log Type = NV
                  >
                  > Looks like they are all three letter abbreviations.
                  >
                  > We were not notified of any changes for 2013.
                  >
                  > John, K3CT
                  >

                  > CAR
                  > CHU
                  > CLA
                  > DOU
                  > ELK
                  > ESM
                  > EUR
                  > HUM
                  > LAN
                  > LIN
                  > LYO
                  > MIN
                  > NYE
                  > PER
                  > STO
                  > WAS
                  > WHI

                • John Bednar
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 10, 2013
                    Luke,

                    I emailed the sponsor. Our software matched the rules for years and we
                    weren't notified of a change.

                    You will have to log STO. The abbreviations are shown in the Multiplier
                    window, Other selector.

                    Place your email address in the Soapbox and it will be printed.
                    The Cabrillo 2.0 Specification does not contain a field for email. That is
                    why it's not printed.
                    http://www.kkn.net/~trey/Cabrillo_v2/spec.html

                    The only one I see on their website as 4 letters (and it could be an error)
                    is Storey County. They are showing it as Stor.

                    I don't think it would matter anyhow. I am sure they will figure the logs
                    out.

                    Luke, KK7XX

                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@...> wrote:

                    > Luke,
                    >
                    > Log Type = QSO Party
                    > State for Log Type = NV
                    >
                    > Looks like they are all three letter abbreviations.
                    >
                    > We were not notified of any changes for 2013.
                    >
                    > John, K3CT
                    >

                    > CAR
                    > CHU
                    > CLA
                    > DOU
                    > ELK
                    > ESM
                    > EUR
                    > HUM
                    > LAN
                    > LIN
                    > LYO
                    > MIN
                    > NYE
                    > PER
                    > STO
                    > WAS
                    > WHI

                  • kk7xx
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 10, 2013
                      Hello John,

                      That's perfect. You guys answered all of my questions including the one about the email. I think I'm all set for this weekend.

                      I really appreciate it.

                      73,

                    • John Bednar
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 10, 2013
                        Luke,

                        I received a reply from the sponsor. Their website contained an error at two places. If it's not corrected, it will be soon. Our program code contains the correct abbreviations.

                        Thanks for pointing this out. Good luck.

                        John, K3CT

                      • kk7xx
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 10, 2013
                          Hello John,

                          You guys are the best and thanks for working with me on this.

                          I am sure you will see more questions from me in the future as I learn more and more about N1MM Logger.

                          Very 73,

                        • kk7xx
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 10, 2013
                            Wow, I am impressed. The website has been corrected. They are fast.

                            Being from Vegas and now living in the Bay Area, I hope to work a few counties with my humble antenna system.

                            It should be a lot of fun.

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                              am I missing something ?-- logging show one point for ssb contact / rules say 2 points...

                            • N2CU
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                I don't think you're missing anything. I'm also getting 1 point for CW and 1 for Phone. Should be 3 and 2, but that's irrelevant since the sponsor will compute the real score.

                                Now if some NV stations would get on the air...

                                73,
                                Tom N2CU <><

                                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Doug Garman <k7evi@...> wrote:

                                > am I missing something ?-- logging show one point for ssb contact / rules say 2 points...

                              • KU7Y
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                  > Now if some NV stations would get on the air...

                                  I've been CQing since the start.... just took a little breakfast break but
                                  am now back on 14049.

                                  Hope to work everyone with my mighty 5w and vertical... Hehehehehe

                                  OK, back in my hole,

                                  Ron, KU7Y
                                  SOWP 5545M
                                  Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
                                  Silver Springs, NV
                                  ku7y@...
                                  http://www.hatpinsandmore.com
                                  KX3 #0062
                                  DM09ji
                                • N2CU
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                    Ron,

                                    Thanks for the 2 QSOs (want to try SSB?). I have worked one other NV station so far!

                                    73,
                                    Tom N2CU <><

                                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, KU7Y <ku7y.cw@...> wrote:

                                    > > Now if some NV stations would get on the air...
                                    >
                                    > I've been CQing since the start.... just took a little breakfast break but
                                    > am now back on 14049.
                                    >
                                    > Hope to work everyone with my mighty 5w and vertical... Hehehehehe
                                    >
                                    > OK, back in my hole,
                                    >
                                    > Ron, KU7Y
                                    > SOWP 5545M
                                    > Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
                                    > Silver Springs, NV
                                    > ku7y@...
                                    > http://www.hatpinsandmore.com
                                    > KX3 #0062
                                    > DM09ji

                                  • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                      /"OK, back in my hole,"/

                                      By any chance, can we convince you NOT to take your antenna with you? :-)

                                      73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                                      On 5/11/2013 1:30 PM, KU7Y wrote:

                                      > > Now if some NV stations would get on the air...
                                      >
                                      > I've been CQing since the start.... just took a little breakfast break
                                      > but
                                      > am now back on 14049.
                                      >
                                      > Hope to work everyone with my mighty 5w and vertical... Hehehehehe
                                      >
                                      > OK, back in my hole,
                                      >
                                      > Ron, KU7Y
                                      > SOWP 5545M
                                      > Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
                                      > Silver Springs, NV
                                      > ku7y@... <mailto:ku7y%40qsl.net>
                                      > http://www.hatpinsandmore.com
                                      > KX3 #0062
                                      > DM09ji

                                    • KU7Y
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                        Sorry Tom,

                                        No SSB here.

                                        Thanks for the 2 Qs. Hope to see 10m open later......

                                        OK, back in my hole,

                                        Ron, KU7Y
                                        SOWP 5545M
                                        Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
                                        Silver Springs, NV
                                        ku7y@...
                                        http://www.hatpinsandmore.com
                                        KX3 #0062
                                        DM09ji
                                      • k3ct
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                          No. Looks like the sponsor changed the rules and we weren't notified.

                                          John, K3CT

                                          am I missing something ?-- logging show one point for ssb contact / rules say 2 points...

                                        • Steven Stepansky
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                            I'm in the process of setting N1MM up on 2 new machines, one a windows Vista and the other a Windows 7. Did a full install of N1MM and then the latest version on both machines, no issues at all. As I went to configure the com ports, I ran into a problem where I cannot start the COM port tied to the radio control line. When I drill down on the COM port, I get the error of "cannot start port". Have the latest drivers installed. However, the Prolific driver won't work on the COM port for radio control. Makes no sense.
                                            This should be a no brainer as I've installed N1MM many many times and have configured it on various radios. This is my personal radio, PC's Rigblaster Pro and 756 Pro III. All worked great about a month ago on my old machine but for whatever reason, I can't get it going on these two new machines.
                                            To recap:
                                            Insttallng N1MM on a Windows Vista and Windows 7 machine. No issues at all
                                            Can't configure the COM port that controls the radio on either machine. Keep getting 8015 error on both machines. Seems like the driver won't take on this port.
                                            Rebooting each machine does cause the Rigblaster Pro to beep at me like it always does so it appears there is good connectivity between the PC and Rigblaster.
                                            Swapping cables didn't fix it. TheCOM port error follows the port configured for radio control.
                                            Swapping Rigblaster Pros didn't fix it.
                                            I'm a bit stumped and clearly missing something. Any help is appreciated.
                                            Thanks,
                                            Steve
                                            KC3WX

                                          • Joe Subich, W4TV
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                              > However, the Prolific driver won't work on the COM port for radio
                                              > control. Makes no sense.

                                              Many of Prolific's drivers are defective when used with software
                                              written in VB6 or other programming environments that use the
                                              Microsoft Communications Toolbox. There are two options: 1) find
                                              a newer driver for your operating system that works correctly with
                                              the Microsoft Communications Toolbox or 2) replace the USB to serial
                                              converter with one that uses either FTDI or Silicon Labs (as used in
                                              the Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu transceivers with an internal USB port)
                                              chip sets and drivers.

                                              73,

                                              ... Joe, W4TV

                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 11, 2013
                                                Steve,

                                                Prolific chipset devices are known to have problems when used with Vista or
                                                Windows 7.

                                                Look on the N1MM website:
                                                N1MM Logger Documentation > Digging Deeper > Interfacing > USB
                                                Interface Devices > 1. User Evaluation of USB to Serial I/O Interface
                                                Devices for use with N1MM Logger

                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 12, 2013
                                                  Below problem has been resolved.
                                                  Turns out, and I knew this but forgot, Prolific chip sets do not play nice with Vista and Windows 7. I did get it working with an older version of Vista but it's FUBAR with a newer version of Vista and 7. FTDI chip set works with Vista and 7. All is well now.
                                                  Thanks Joe!
                                                  Steve
                                                  KC3WX