Skip to search.

N1MM Problems

  • jim.w0em
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2013
      Hi folks,

      After using N1MM for several years and decided to try another program, I've decided to bring N1MM up-to-date and use it in the future. I've encountered two problems that I cannot resolve short of uninstalling and reinstalling N1MM. The two problems seem to be interrelated but I cannot determine exactly how. I've spent several hours without a resolution including reading the help files. I'm setting up to run SO2R.

      1 The right instance of MMTTY will change the PTT/FSK port from com 3 to com 4 after transmitting 2-3 times. After changing the port back I've shut down and restarted N1MM without helping.

      2. When switching focus from one radio to the other and hitting a function key there is a message displayed about cannot play a wave file and to make a correction in the Configurer. (FSK is the selected mode in N1MM and radios.) Then the monitor screen grays out and windows puts up a message about the program has a problem and must be shut down.

      I would sure like to hear from any one who can offer constructive help. I don't like the idea of reinstalling N1MM but that is the only thing I can see at this point.

      73

      Jim, W0EM
    • rich_ve3ki
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2013
        Jim,

        I doubt whether reinstalling will do anything useful. These look like setup issues that will not be changed by reinstalling.

        1. You need to run from two separate copies of MMTTY.exe, located in two different program folders. Each copy needs to have its own separate MMTTY.ini file. The Digital check box in the N1MM Logger Configurer should be checked for both FSK ports, and the Radio Nr and Dig Wnd Nr for each FSK serial port needs to be set appropriately (e.g. set COM3 for Radio 1 and Dig Wnd Nr 1, and set COM4 for Radio 2 and Dig Wnd Nr 2).

        Also, it's a good idea not to shut N1MM Logger down with both MMTTY windows still open. Apparently there is a glitch somewhere in MMTTY that can cause the com port settings to get mixed up when two copies of MMTTY shut down simultaneously, even though the two copies are separate. If you shut the DI windows down manually one after the other before shutting down the Logger, the two copies of MMTTY should each remember their own com port and sound card settings.

        2. If you get a message about a wave file, that suggests either that the Entry window that currently has focus thinks you are in SSB mode, or that you have an SSB message file loaded.

        When you hover the mouse over a function key button, you should see a tool tip that displays the contents of that function key message. The contents of RTTY messages should start with {TX} and end with {RX}; if the contents look like the name of a wav file, that's an SSB message. Either the Logger is configured to log contacts in SSB mode, regardless of what mode the radio is actually in, or else your function key message files have got mixed up somehow and you have an SSB message file selected.

        The setup for all of this gets tangled up with the Mode Control settings in the Configurer, as well as the contest type and mode category in the Contest Setup window.

        Make sure you are in an RTTY contest, or a contest that allows RTTY as one of the modes. In the Mode Category box in the contest setup make sure that the category selected is RTTY, DIGITAL, or MIXED+DIG (not just plain MIXED). Under the Associated Files tab in the contest setup window, make sure that the Digital Function Key Filename points to a file that contains digital messages. You can use the Sample Function Keys button to download sample message files from the N1MM Logger website.

        In the Configurer under Mode Control check out the "Mode recorded in log" on the left side. Some of the possible choices can result in the Logger staying in SSB or CW mode even when the DI window is open (for example, "Follow band plan" when you haven't set up any digital sub bands, or when the transceiver frequency is not inside one of the digital sub bands that has been set up). If you are using FSK and the Logger is communicating with the radios, things are relatively simple and the best choice is probably the default ("Use radio mode"). On the right side of the window, if you are using FSK in both radios the "Mode sent to radio" beside RTTY should be set to RTTY for both radios.

        Now with both Entry windows open but neither DI window open, typing RTTY into the callsign box and pressing Enter should put that Entry window into RTTY mode, and the corresponding DI window and MMTTY window should open up. You will need to do this separately for both Entry windows. Once both copies of MMTTY are open, you should be able to set the PTT & FSK port in the MMTTY Setup window for each copy of MMTTY separately. Hovering the mouse over a function key button in the Entry window should display a digital mode message ({TX}...{RX}).

        73,
        Rich VE3KI

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "jim.w0em" <jim.w0em@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > After using N1MM for several years and decided to try another program, I've decided to bring N1MM up-to-date and use it in the future. I've encountered two problems that I cannot resolve short of uninstalling and reinstalling N1MM. The two problems seem to be interrelated but I cannot determine exactly how. I've spent several hours without a resolution including reading the help files. I'm setting up to run SO2R.
        >
        > 1 The right instance of MMTTY will change the PTT/FSK port from com 3 to com 4 after transmitting 2-3 times. After changing the port back I've shut down and restarted N1MM without helping.
        >
        > 2. When switching focus from one radio to the other and hitting a function key there is a message displayed about cannot play a wave file and to make a correction in the Configurer. (FSK is the selected mode in N1MM and radios.) Then the monitor screen grays out and windows puts up a message about the program has a problem and must be shut down.
        >
        > I would sure like to hear from any one who can offer constructive help. I don't like the idea of reinstalling N1MM but that is the only thing I can see at this point.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Jim, W0EM

      • jim.w0em
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2013
          Rich,

          Thank you for your very comprehensive reply. Perhaps you should be writing help files for the program.

          I was aware of and had checked most of the things you had mentioned. Without going into a long explanation the problems are resolved. Here is the short explanation. As I am running SO2R I had set the SO2R $5 choice in the Configurer audio tab. After reading the fine print about that being for monitoring and realizing I monitor using ear buds plugged into a Dunstar combiner box I set the choice to one sound card (first/top choice) and now all is well. (But I do use two sound cards; one for each radio.)

          It's amazing the first choice I had made would cause such a problem and be so difficult to resolve. Now I will try to tackle 2Tone.

          Again thank you for the help.

          73,

          Jim, W0EM