WinKey USB Driver?

  • Jim Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2013
      Several years ago I built and happily used a WinKey USB, but it got set aside a few years later when I built the YCCC SO2R box. Now I want to use it in a multi-TX setup, and N1MM can't open it, so I'm guessing that the driver is not on that computer (I've changed a few times since using it). I've scoured my shack, and can't find the CD that came with the WinKey. Where can I find the driver? It's not listed on K1EL's site.

      73, Jim K9YC

    • Jay
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2013
        Doesn't it use the CDM20824.exe file?

        > Several years ago I built and happily used a WinKey USB, but it got set
        > aside a few years later when I built the YCCC SO2R box. Now I want to use
        > it in a multi-TX setup, and N1MM can't open it, so I'm guessing that the
        > driver is not on that computer (I've changed a few times since using it).
        > I've scoured my shack, and can't find the CD that came with the WinKey.
        > Where can I find the driver? It's not listed on K1EL's site.
        >

        > 73, Jim K9YC

      • Jay
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2013
          If that is right (it looks like an older version I have, my earlier
          reference)

          CDM20828_Setup.exe

          http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

          >> Several years ago I built and happily used a WinKey USB, but it got set
          >> aside a few years later when I built the YCCC SO2R box. Now I want to use
          >> it in a multi-TX setup, and N1MM can't open it, so I'm guessing that the
          >> driver is not on that computer (I've changed a few times since using it).
          >> I've scoured my shack, and can't find the CD that came with the WinKey.
          >> Where can I find the driver? It's not listed on K1EL's site.
          >>

          >> 73, Jim K9YC

        • iain macdonnell - N6ML
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2013
            I don't think you want the direct driver - N1MM Logger (and all other
            ham apps that I've seen) talk to the WinKeyer through a virtual COM
            port. You want the VCP driver...

            http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

            Windows generally finds the driver automatically, in my experience (if
            you allow it to search online). Maybe XP didn't in all cases - I don't
            remember.

            73,

            ~iain / N6ML

            On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Jay <PCB4U@...> wrote:

            > If that is right (it looks like an older version I have, my earlier
            > reference)
            >
            > CDM20828_Setup.exe
            >
            > http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

          • iain macdonnell - N6ML
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2013
              I guess they bundle the direct and VCP drivers in a single package for
              Windows, so you probably could get away with downloading from either
              page.

              Jim, before you go down that road, you might verify that you don't
              already have the driver. Right-click on "[My] Computer", and select
              "Manage". In the window that opens, click on "Device Manager" on the
              left, then expand "Ports" on the right. Do you see a "USB Serial Port"
              (or something similar)? If so, unplug the WinKeyer and see if it goes
              away. If you don't see it or don't even see a "Ports" section in the
              device tree, you probably need to install the driver. If you do see
              it, make a note of the COM port number assignment, and use that in the
              N1MM Logger config.

              73,

              ~iain / N6ML

              On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:28 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
              > I don't think you want the direct driver - N1MM Logger (and all other
              > ham apps that I've seen) talk to the WinKeyer through a virtual COM
              > port. You want the VCP driver...
              >
              > http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
              >
              > Windows generally finds the driver automatically, in my experience (if
              > you allow it to search online). Maybe XP didn't in all cases - I don't
              > remember.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > ~iain / N6ML
              >

              > On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Jay <PCB4U@...> wrote:
              >>

              >> If that is right (it looks like an older version I have, my earlier
              >> reference)
              >>
              >> CDM20828_Setup.exe
              >>
              >> http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

            • Jim Brown
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2013
                Thanks, Iain. That's exactly what I had done this weekend, but it didn't work. I just repeated it, and now it works. Perhaps when I did it before the sequence of plugging it in and starting N1MM may have been wrong. This is good emphasis to John's advice about USB ports. :)

                73, Jim K9YC