Re: IN, NEWE, 7QP QSO Parties

  • tgennett
    Message 1 of 24 , May 2, 2013
      I'm trying to figure out how, as a mobile station, I set up macros to handle the difference between operating on a county line and operating in a single county.

      If I enter COUNTYLINE in the callsign box and set my counties as jas,whte (INQP) then the {COUNTYLINE} macro correctly sends my exchange if I have my F2 macro set as "5NN {COUNTYLINE}" but if I then move off the county line what do I do? I can put the program into Rover mode by right clicking on the county name in the multiplier window but then the {countyline} macro in F2 does not send anything.

      If I change the f2 macro to 5NN {COUNTYLINE}{ROVERQTH} then it operates as desired if I am in rover mode but if I am in COUNTYLINE mode the message sent is "5NN JAS/WHTE JAS."

      Tim K9WX

      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, John Bednar <k3ct@...> wrote:

      > Here are some comments for this weekend.
      >
      > John, K3CT
      >

      > - If you are operating in-state for 7QP, use the 7QP selection.
      >
      > - If you are operating in-state for NEWE, use the NEWE selection.
      >
      > - If you are operating from IN, use the IN selection.
      >
      > - If you do not live in any of the above states, use the IN7QPNE selection.
      >
      > - Using version 13.04.05 with any of the above four selections you can log a county line station with one entry with the / character between the "full" county abbreviation for any QSO party. Example exchanges would be:
      > IDGOO/IDMIN
      > NLNCT/NHVCT
      > BRO/CAR
      >
      > - Shorthand county line exchange notation for the 7QP QSO Party is only supported if you are operating from a 7QP state (7QP selection).
      >
      > - The shorthand county line exchange notation for 7QP or NEWE QSO Parties is not supported by any other QSO Party selection. If you copy an county line exchange that uses abbreviations, change it to the full abbreviation before logging the QSO. You can use the arrow keys to move the cursor in the exchange box without erasing the text.
      >
      > - The NEWE short hand county abbreviations do not follow the 7QP model and some are identical to IN county abbreviations.
      >
      > - The county line logging feature adds additional QSO's separated by two seconds. After you log a county line station, the "same callsign" can not be logged again until the computer clock advances past the last logged QSO. If this is violated, an error message will be displayed and the QSO's that can not be logged will be added to the ErrorLog.txt file.
      >
      > - The official county line abbreviations are shown in the Multiplier, "Other" selector.

    • John Bednar
      Message 2 of 24 , May 2, 2013
        Tim,

        When you move off the county line, change the F2 macro, and enter COUNTYLINE then Return. That will switch the program to Rover/Mobile mode. You will also have to set the single county (RoverQTH).

        I should be able to improve the macro operation. Wish you guys would have tested your setups more than a week ago.

        John, K3CT

        Message 3 of 24 , May 3, 2013
          I just posted experimental code for this weekend with the changes listed
          below.
          http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20

          The code needs some testing but I expect that the 7QP shorthand and the NEWE
          three character abbreviations can now be entered as received for the 7QP,
          IN, NEWE, and IN7QPNE QSO Party selections. If a NEWE operator sends a NEWE
          three character abbreviation that is a IN QSO party county abbreviation, it
          will be counted as an IN QSO.

          John, K3CT

          TS-990: Improvements to the TS-990 radio control. Needs testing in SO1V,
          SO2V, and SO2R modes. (Tnx SP9MZH)(coded by K3CT)
          Macros: Allow {ROVERQTH} and {COUNTYLINE} macros in the function key name
          and function key message. Ignore the macro if the program is not in the
          rover or county line mode. (K9DUR)(coded by K3CT)
          County Line: For IN, 7QP, NEWE, and IN7QPNE accept the 7QP shorthand and
          the NEWE abbreviations in received county line exchanges. The NEWE county
          three character abbreviations that are identical to the IN QSO party county
          abbreviations will be counted as IN QP QSO's. Hopefully none of the NEWE
          operators will use these three character abbreviations. (coded by K3CT)
          County Line: Changed the QSO note for the county line contacts to the
          exchange entered by the user. The leading number is for developers. (coded
          by K3CT)

          - If you are operating in-state for 7QP, use the 7QP selection.

          - If you are operating in-state for NEWE, use the NEWE selection.

          - If you are operating from IN, use the IN selection.

          - If you do not live in any of the above states, use the IN7QPNE selection.

          - With any of the above contest selections you can log a county line station
          with one entry with the / character between the "full" county abbreviation
          for any QSO party. Example exchanges would be:
          IDGOO/IDMIN
          NLNCT/NHVCT
          BRO/CAR

          - The NEWE short hand county abbreviations do not follow the 7QP model and
          some are identical to IN county abbreviations.

          - The county line logging feature adds additional QSO's separated by two
          seconds. After you log a county line station, the "same callsign" can not be
          logged again until the computer clock advances past the last logged QSO. If
          this is violated, an error message will be displayed and the QSO's that can
          not be logged will be added to the ErrorLog.txt file.

          - The official county line abbreviations are shown in the Multiplier,
          "Other" selector.
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 24 , May 3, 2013
            John,

            Is the experimental version the one that is noted as K7EAR ONLY?

            Greg

            On 5/3/2013 6:23 AM, John Bednar wrote:

            > I just posted experimental code for this weekend with the changes listed
            > below.
            > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
            >
            > The code needs some testing but I expect that the 7QP shorthand and
            > the NEWE
            > three character abbreviations can now be entered as received for the 7QP,
            > IN, NEWE, and IN7QPNE QSO Party selections. If a NEWE operator sends a
            > NEWE
            > three character abbreviation that is a IN QSO party county
            > abbreviation, it
            > will be counted as an IN QSO.
            >
            > John, K3CT
            >
            > TS-990: Improvements to the TS-990 radio control. Needs testing in SO1V,
            > SO2V, and SO2R modes. (Tnx SP9MZH)(coded by K3CT)
            > Macros: Allow {ROVERQTH} and {COUNTYLINE} macros in the function key name
            > and function key message. Ignore the macro if the program is not in the
            > rover or county line mode. (K9DUR)(coded by K3CT)
            > County Line: For IN, 7QP, NEWE, and IN7QPNE accept the 7QP shorthand and
            > the NEWE abbreviations in received county line exchanges. The NEWE county
            > three character abbreviations that are identical to the IN QSO party
            > county
            > abbreviations will be counted as IN QP QSO's. Hopefully none of the NEWE
            > operators will use these three character abbreviations. (coded by K3CT)
            > County Line: Changed the QSO note for the county line contacts to the
            > exchange entered by the user. The leading number is for developers. (coded
            > by K3CT)
            >

            > - If you are operating in-state for 7QP, use the 7QP selection.
            >
            > - If you are operating in-state for NEWE, use the NEWE selection.
            >
            > - If you are operating from IN, use the IN selection.
            >
            > - If you do not live in any of the above states, use the IN7QPNE
            > selection.
            >
            > - With any of the above contest selections you can log a county line
            > station
            > with one entry with the / character between the "full" county abbreviation
            > for any QSO party. Example exchanges would be:
            > IDGOO/IDMIN
            > NLNCT/NHVCT
            > BRO/CAR
            >
            > - The NEWE short hand county abbreviations do not follow the 7QP model and
            > some are identical to IN county abbreviations.
            >
            > - The county line logging feature adds additional QSO's separated by two
            > seconds. After you log a county line station, the "same callsign" can
            > not be
            > logged again until the computer clock advances past the last logged
            > QSO. If
            > this is violated, an error message will be displayed and the QSO's
            > that can
            > not be logged will be added to the ErrorLog.txt file.
            >
            > - The official county line abbreviations are shown in the Multiplier,
            > "Other" selector.

          • Greg
            Message 5 of 24 , May 3, 2013
              John. With the 7QP experimental version I am getting a winsock error
              when I close the program. It says to install the fix on the
              experimental page. Does the fix get installed in the N1MM folder or a
              different folder? I installed it in the MM folder and still get the error.

              Thanks

            • John Bednar
              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2013
                Greg,

                No. The K7EAR version is for K7EAR only. Anyone else that uses this version will have problems.

                John, K3CT

              • John Bednar
                Message 7 of 24 , May 4, 2013
                  Greg,

                  I have never run that installer. My guess would be that it automatically
                  installs the file into the correct directory and registers it.

                  If you can determine what software changed the winsock file, let us know.
                  Some users end up with the wrong version installed and I believe it may be
                  due to some other installer.

> [...]

                  > - With any of the above contest selections you can log a county line
                  > station with one entry with the / character between the "full" county
                  > abbreviation for any QSO party. Example exchanges would be:
                  > IDGOO/IDMIN
                  > NLNCT/NHVCT
                  > BRO/CAR
                  >
                  > - The NEWE short hand county abbreviations do not follow the 7QP model
                  > and some are identical to IN county abbreviations.
                  >
                  > - The county line logging feature adds additional QSO's separated by
                  > two seconds. After you log a county line station, the "same callsign"
                  > can not be logged again until the computer clock advances past the
                  > last logged QSO. If this is violated, an error message will be
                  > displayed and the QSO's that can not be logged will be added to the
                  > ErrorLog.txt file.
                  >
                  > - The official county line abbreviations are shown in the Multiplier,

                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 4, 2013
                    Now I am all screwed up......I should have lived by my rule and do no
                    updates the day before a contest. :)

                    I run the winsock fix and it want to install it in the system32 folder.
                    But I get an error saying I need admin permissions but my account (only
                    one on the machine) is an admin account. If I go to that folder to
                    change permissions from read only it says I can't.

                    On 5/4/2013 3:46 AM, John Bednar wrote:

                    > Greg,
                    >
                    > I have never run that installer. My guess would be that it automatically
                    > installs the file into the correct directory and registers it.
                    >
                    > If you can determine what software changed the winsock file, let us know.
                    > Some users end up with the wrong version installed and I believe it may be
                    > due to some other installer.
                    >
                    > John, K3CT

                  • Rod Greene
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 4, 2013
                      I loaded this version but its not allowing me to log INQP with the county info appended. So I have to only log the IN section to make it work

                    • John Bednar
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 4, 2013
                        Rod,

                        Working fine here.

                        What state you operating from?

                        What QSO party did you select?

                        Give me an example of what you are trying to log.

                        I loaded this version but its not allowing me to log INQP with the county
                        info appended. So I have to only log the IN section to make it work

                      • VE9AA Mike
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 4, 2013
                          John,

                          Been dabbling in all 3 QSO parties this weekend and have to say, I really love the new features. WOW, this makes it nice and easy logging 3 parties at once.

                          Have snagged 4 or 5 county line guys.....ahhh, sooo, easy.

                          THANK YOU THANK YOU !

                          Mike VE9AA "NB"

                          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@...> wrote:

                          > Rod,
                          >
                          > Working fine here.
                          >
                          > What state you operating from?
                          >
                          > What QSO party did you select?
                          >
                          > Give me an example of what you are trying to log.
                          >
                          > John, K3CT

                        • Jim Brown
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 5, 2013
                            A "feature" that is a train wreck is that if you make any mistake in entering a 3-county QSO, all are ignored, and the last county for that mobile is saved. And the mobile is working someone else. Another bug -- when I tried to correct the counties (which I'm typing as I copy), I get an error when I try to save it saying something is wrong in the comment field. And I haven't tried to use the comment field.

                            What it SHOULD do by default is at least save what you type so that you have a chance at fixing it. Another thing I'm seeing -- if the station sends something like ORDOU/CRO/COO and I enter that, it rejects the entries and I have to start over (and I've forgotten them by now).

                            So -- it's nice if you don't make a typing mistake, but awful if you do.

                            73, Jim K9YC

                          • John Bednar
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 5, 2013
                              Jim,

                              Are you using a FORCE macro in your TU message or did you FORCE the QSO when
                              the message box appeared?

                              The initial county line versions would not log any QSO if the first exchange
                              wasn't valid. If the user FORCED the QSO, all exchange errors should be
                              saved in the ErrorLog.txt file.

                              The experimental version that I posted will log all VALID QSO exchanges and
                              flag the operator if any exchange is wrong. If one or more QSO's were
                              logged, the QSO note (comment field) contains the operators complete
                              ORIGINAL exchange. The ErrorLog.txt should always have information when a
                              QSO wasn't logged due to a typing error.

                              In testing your report, I learned that the QSO note field contained repeated
                              information. This has been corrected. I also added code to prevent the user
                              from using a FORCE macro.

                              If you were using the experimental version, full edit the QSO that was
                              logged and look for the original exchange.

                              I just updated the experimental version with this FORCE macro and eliminated
                              the repeated QSO note. Test the error handling with this version. If there
                              is an issue, send me the QSO party, exchange to test, and your observation.

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 5, 2013
                                Hi John,

                                I think I discovered my problem. Here's what was happening, but first to answer your questions:

                                I was operating from home in ID, so that was my location information.
                                I selected 7QP from the QSO Parties drop-down list.

                                When I first had an answer from an IN station to my CQ he gave me a report of 599 INCAR. So that is what I tried to log. However when I entered that information (INCAR) it wouldn't log. So I finally forced it to log with the Log button. Then it logged but showed an ERROR and didn't score it, etc. I figured I would go back after the contest and make any needed corrections.

                                The next problem was when another IN station answered (I'm still Running). This time the answering station was on a county line and sent me multiple counties. So I entered INTIPP/MARI/PER (these county names are just an example). The logger would not do anything to my attempts to log. Wouldn't even log with the force log button on the entry window. So I deleted all the county information and just tried to log this station with just an "IN" for the section and no county info at all. It wouldn't even work then. So I finally had to delete everything for that entry and paper log it.

                                A little later, an IN station answered and gave me just the county information without the IN. So I entered just the County abbreviation and everything worked correctly and it automatically entered the "IN" for the section. All was finally well !!!!! Now I understand the Flash Screen that says "Counties logged from the IN and NEWE QSO parties will be automatically mapped to the correct state...... However entering MARMA works fine for NEWE. So it would seem that when an IN station sends "INCAR" you should be able to enter that and have it work correctly.

                                I had read the documentation closely (even printed it off) and studied it before the contest for this type of entry, but it didn't register with me that I only needed to enter the County info for those IN contacts. While the NEWE and 7QP need the section information fully entered. Of course just entering "IN" for the section information without any county information works fine too.

                                So maybe that syntax could be explained a little more with some examples in the documentation.

                                Thanks so much for such a great program. I really appreciate all the work the team does to make N1MM such a fine logger.

                                73, Rod/w7zrc

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 5, 2013
                                  Hi John,

                                  I don't think I used a forced save (CTRL-ALT-ENTER?), but I might have. It was in the heat of battle, and I was trying to remember the exchange (three counties, so 15 characters that make no sense, no not easy to remember) long enough to get it logged. :)

                                  My real message is that the routine needs to be more graceful when it rejects the exchange -- sort of "save what I entered, even if it's wrong,"  so that I have a chance of recovering it. I got the error message when I tried to start all over entering the QSO, and somehow, my original error seems to have ended up in the county field by default. So even though I hadn't typed it wrong the second time, it was there, and was again rejected.

                                  73, Jim K9YC

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 6, 2013
                                    Rod,

                                    You were expecting to log invalid county abbreviations.

                                    I know the INQP website also lists the MARAC abbreviations but in 2011 the MARAC QSO party has been moved to July. I didn't work a single station that sent the six character MARAC abbreviation. For these reasons, there is no need to support the MARAC abbreviation list. "INCAR" is not a INQP or MARAC abbreviation.

                                    I worked stations from 7QP that placed their state before AND after the county, stations from New England that placed their state in the beginning, and some that sent the county name (RUSH).

                                    The best thing we can do when participants do not send the abbreviations posted in the rules is drag out the QSO until you can log the contact.

                                    I think I discovered my problem. Here's what was happening, but first to answer your questions:

                                    I was operating from home in ID, so that was my location information.
                                    I selected 7QP from the QSO Parties drop-down list.

                                    When I first had an answer from an IN station to my CQ he gave me a report of 599 INCAR. So that is what I tried to log. However when I entered that information (INCAR) it wouldn't log. So I finally forced it to log with the Log button. Then it logged but showed an ERROR and didn't score it, etc. I figured I would go back after the contest and make any needed corrections.

                                    The next problem was when another IN station answered (I'm still Running). This time the answering station was on a county line and sent me multiple counties. So I entered INTIPP/MARI/PER (these county names are just an example). The logger would not do anything to my attempts to log. Wouldn't even log with the force log button on the entry window. So I deleted all the county information and just tried to log this station with just an "IN" for the section and no county info at all. It wouldn't even work then. So I finally had to delete everything for that entry and paper log it.

                                    A little later, an IN station answered and gave me just the county information without the IN. So I entered just the County abbreviation and everything worked correctly and it automatically entered the "IN" for the section. All was finally well !!!!! Now I understand the Flash Screen that says "Counties logged from the IN and NEWE QSO parties will be automatically mapped to the correct state...... However entering MARMA works fine for NEWE. So it would seem that when an IN station sends "INCAR" you should be able to enter that and have it work correctly.

                                    I had read the documentation closely (even printed it off) and studied it before the contest for this type of entry, but it didn't register with me that I only needed to enter the County info for those IN contacts. While the NEWE and 7QP need the section information fully entered. Of course just entering "IN" for the section information without any county information works fine too.

                                    So maybe that syntax could be explained a little more with some examples in the documentation.

                                    Thanks so much for such a great program. I really appreciate all the work the team does to make N1MM such a fine logger.

                                    73, Rod/w7zrc

                                    >________________________________

                                  • John Bednar
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 6, 2013
                                      Jim,

                                      There is no need to remember anything. The software version posted Thursday
                                      places the user exchange in the QSO note.

                                      I don't believe that logging an invalid QSO expecting that the user will
                                      correct it later is correct.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 6, 2013
                                        Ron

                                        I admit that I didn't do a big study of the IN QP pre contest and I had all the problems you describe with INcontacts SO post contest they just became IN in my log and I won't forward my log to them to act as and entry or check log/

                                        Rex K7QQ

                                        I think I discovered my problem. Here's what was happening, but first to answer your questions:

                                        I was operating from home in ID, so that was my location information.
                                        I selected 7QP from the QSO Parties drop-down list.

                                        When I first had an answer from an IN station to my CQ he gave me a report of 599 INCAR. So that is what I tried to log. However when I entered that information (INCAR) it wouldn't log. So I finally forced it to log with the Log button. Then it logged but showed an ERROR and didn't score it, etc. I figured I would go back after the contest and make any needed corrections.

                                        The next problem was when another IN station answered (I'm still Running). This time the answering station was on a county line and sent me multiple counties. So I entered INTIPP/MARI/PER (these county names are just an example). The logger would not do anything to my attempts to log. Wouldn't even log with the force log button on the entry window. So I deleted all the county information and just tried to log this station with just an "IN" for the section and no county info at all. It wouldn't even work then. So I finally had to delete everything for that entry and paper log it.

                                        A little later, an IN station answered and gave me just the county information without the IN. So I entered just the County abbreviation and everything worked correctly and it automatically entered the "IN" for the section. All was finally well !!!!! Now I understand the Flash Screen that says "Counties logged from the IN and NEWE QSO parties will be automatically mapped to the correct state...... However entering MARMA works fine for NEWE. So it would seem that when an IN station sends "INCAR" you should be able to enter that and have it work correctly.

                                        I had read the documentation closely (even printed it off) and studied it before the contest for this type of entry, but it didn't register with me that I only needed to enter the County info for those IN contacts. While the NEWE and 7QP need the section information fully entered. Of course just entering "IN" for the section information without any county information works fine too.

                                        So maybe that syntax could be explained a little more with some examples in the documentation.

                                        Thanks so much for such a great program. I really appreciate all the work the team does to make N1MM such a fine logger.

                                        73, Rod/w7zrc

                                        >________________________________

                                      • Scott Stembaugh
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 6, 2013
                                          Just as a point - I worked from IN and was sending "IN TIPP" most of the
                                          time, and no one complained. I worked a number of 7qp and neqp stations
                                          and I am sure a fair number were using N1MM. Now I did have issues when a
                                          7qp station would send county line as AZGHM/GLE, it would not take the 2nd
                                          county until I corrected to AZGHM/AZGLE but I assumed that was working as
                                          expected.

                                          The county line logging feature, even with a few gotchas, was long wanted
                                          and much appreciated!

                                          73,
                                          --scott N9LJX

                                          ------
                                          Scott Stembaugh - N9LJX
                                          radio.n9ljx@...

                                        • Rod Greene
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 6, 2013
                                            John,

                                            Thanks again. However - I don't understand what you mean by "You were expecting to log invalid county abbreviations." All I wanted to do was log what the station sent, which was the "INCAR". If I logged "CAR" all was good. But if I tried to log the "IN" part it wouldn't work. As I look back over your notes, I can see that is the intended way to log the IN participants (using the County info only). I just didn't pick up on that. I expected the Section info would be needed for IN just as it is for the other QPs. No big problem, just I didn't understand.

                                            I didn't work any MARAC either. I did work lots of county line stations and the logger worked very well. No other problems of any kind for me. I worked 782 Q's all on CW. Terrific fun! Thanks again for making a great logging system.

                                            73, Rod/w7zrc

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 6, 2013
                                              Scott,

                                              The users either corrected your exchange or didn't log your QSO. If the INQP sponsor adjudicates the logs, you may end up with a higher error rate.

                                              It appears that you decided not to install the software update announced on Thursday with the added functionality for logging the 7QP shortcut and NEWE three letter abbreviations. The county line logging emails sent well in advance of the contest mentioned the need to add the state abbreviations for the program version that you decided to use. The non-7QP contest users that installed the experimental version didn't have any logging errors or bugs.

                                              John, K3CT

                                            • John Bednar
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 6, 2013
                                                Rod,

                                                Look at the INQP website abbreviation list, you won't find INCAR listed as a valid abbreviation.
                                                http://www.hdxcc.org/inqp/counties.html

                                                I'm sure that the three sponsors do not rescore to all possible invalid county abbreviations. For this reason alone, it's an advantage that our software encourages the user to log valid exchanges. I know that the sponsors appreciate the consistency in county abbreviation logging.

                                                In the other QSO party contests there would be no hope of computing an accurate score if our software allowed users to enter invalid abbreviations.

                                                John, K3CT

                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 6, 2013
                                                  The Indiana guys had me confused. A lot of them were sending INxxx
                                                  so I was trying to put that in the log, having forgotten what your announcement said earlier in the week....just to log the 3-letter abbr. It's hard to remember when the guy is sending INCAR, to just log CAR,. hi !