PTT on Radio 2 invoked in SO1V mode

  • Michael D. Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
      Question: Is there a reason why the logger should invoke PTT on Radio 2
      when operating in SO1V mode?

      My configuration:

      Radio 1: K3 via Navigator interface

      Com5 (CW/Other) DTR=CW, RTS=Off, RadioNr=1

      Com7 (Elecraft K3) DTR=Off, RTS=Off, RadioNr=1, checkboxes
      unchecked

      Radio 2: IC7000 via Navigator interface

      Com6 (CW/Other) DTR=CW, RTS=PTT, RadioNr=2

      Com8 (IC-7000), DTR=Off, RTS=Off, checkboxes unchecked,
      RadioNr=2 (but shows 1 in SO1V mode)

      The Navigators' winkeyers are unused/not reported to the configurer.

      When I set the logger to SO1V mode and send CW to the K3, the PTT is invoked
      on the 7000. If the 7000 is in AM or FM mode, a carrier is transmitted; if
      the7000 is in RTTY mode, an undiddled tone is sent.

      This does not occur when:

      * the logger is set to SO2R operation;

      * when RTS on COM5 is set to PTT; or

      * when RTS on COM6 is set to Off.

      Keeping the 7000 powered off is also an effective workaround. :)

      In SO1V mode it may be behaving as if the logger is tripping the first PTT
      it sees, without testing to see which radio the PTT is associated with.

      (Yes, I know that two Navigators is neither a supported SO2R setup, nor a
      particularly effective one. I'd think the weirdness I'm seeing is
      independent of the PC<>radio interface, given the behavior observed.)

      Given the availability of workarounds this is probably just an annoyance.
      However, after accidentally bringing up a local repeater I was monitoring on
      the 7000 when I called CQ on the K3. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

      --
      Michael D. Adams (N1EN)
      Poquonock, Connecticut | <mailto:mda@...> mda@...

    • John Bednar
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2013
        Michael,

        The program code is expecting only one radio defined in SO1V and SO2V mode.

        This is the reason why there is only one RadioNr option in the dropdown
        menu. RadioNr = "2" does not exist in SO1V or SO2V mode.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2013
          Michael, I don’t know if I have a related problem, but on every version (newer than) 13.03.03 in S02R, radio 2 PTT keys radio 1 and I can’t key radio 2 FSK. This only occurs in digital modes.

          Using 2 K3’s with 4 com ports (2 for CAT control and 2 for dedicated FSK keying) No problem as I am just staying with ver. 13.3.3 or earlier. You might go back to that ver. and see what happens

          73, Jim – W5AP

        • Michael Adams
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2013
            In case anyone in the future is searching through the archives with this
            issue, I thought I'd close the loop with a discovery.

            In this weekend's contests (ARIDX, 7QP, INQP, NEWE), I continued to have
            the PTT-on-radio-2 with N1MM in SO1V mode issue. I never did downgrade,
            because of impending versioning concerns ahead of Field Day.

            Late Saturday, the problem became particularly annoying (radio 2 being
            keyed when sending on radio 1, even in SO2R mode).

            Frustrated, before I started back on the air Sunday morning, I deleted the
            .ini file, and reconfigured the logger from scratch.

            Knock wood, the headache seems to have gone away.

            While I won't discount the possibility of user-error.... "nuke from orbit
            and start fresh" seems to have been an effective resolution.

            --
            *Michael D. Adams* (N1EN)
            Poquonock, Connecticut | mda@...