RE: [N1MM] Problem with cw keying

  • John Bednar
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 23 3:01 AM
      Art,

      Since you are sending CW with WinKey I would first suspect RF.

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 23 4:30 AM
        Art,

        When this happens will Winkey still work in standalone mode if you shut down
        N1MM? Make sure Windows is not powering down the usb port that Winkey is
        using.

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 23 4:58 AM
          Thanks Ted and John for the response. Definitely not an RF problem. Nothing has changed. I have the problem with 50 watts or 1500 watts. The Winkey works fine as a stand alone keyer AFTER the issue with not transmitting all of the characters in CW.

          Today on startup, of the computer and N1MM, I could not transmit at all. I did test Winkey as a standalone keyer after that, and it operated normally.

          I am wondering if the Piexx interface has failed? Has anyone reported any issues with that?

          Other than keying, N1MM working fine. Winkey works fine as a stand alone keyer. Piexx seems to be the only other piece of the puzzle.

          Your thoughts?

          73,

          Art KZ5D

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 23 5:03 AM
            Which are you using? Winkey or Piexx? They have nothing to do with
            each other.

            Tom - N1MM

          • Art KZ5D
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 23 5:58 AM
              Hi Tom,

              Using Winkey on Com 8 and Piexx on Com 7.

              I am using the Piexx device to connect to DX Doubler box for CW to both rigs. the DX Doubler output keying is through a 25 pin cable.

              When this was all set up over a year ago, this was the advice of Steve, N2IC.

              Is there a way to key a K-3 directly from a USB port? If so, then I could be almost certain that the Piexx device is at fault.

              73,

              Art

              Which are you using? Winkey or Piexx? They have nothing to do with
              each other.

              Tom - N1MM
              On 4/23/2013 7:58 AM, Art KZ5D wrote:
              > Thanks Ted and John for the response. Definitely not an RF problem. Nothing has changed. I have the problem with 50 watts or 1500 watts. The Winkey works fine as a stand alone keyer AFTER the issue with not transmitting all of the characters in CW.
              >

              > Today on startup, of the computer and N1MM, I could not transmit at all. I did test Winkey as a standalone keyer after that, and it operated normally.
              >

              > I am wondering if the Piexx interface has failed? Has anyone reported any issues with that?
              >

              > Other than keying, N1MM working fine. Winkey works fine as a stand alone keyer. Piexx seems to be the only other piece of the puzzle.
              >

              > Your thoughts?
              >

              > 73,
              >

              > Art KZ5D

            • N1MM
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 23 7:33 AM
                No, you need a usb to serial adapter and a serial port cw interface.

                73,
                Tom - N1MM

              • Pete Smith N4ZR
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23 7:33 AM
                  Art, you should be using the key and PTT ports on the back of the
                  Winkeyer USB to key your radios and control PTT. The Piexx is really
                  only needed for audio switching on the DXD. I suggest you check the
                  levels on the relevant pins on the LPT jack on the Piexx SO2RXLAT. Also
                  make very sure that the Winkeyer is the *only* CW port that you have
                  selected. Nothing will screw you up faster than selecting more than one
                  CW port.

                  73, Pete N4ZR
                  Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                  http://reversebeacon.net,
                  blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                  For spots, please go to your favorite
                  ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 23 8:28 AM
                    Art,

                    Is the Piexx controlling the DXD ok? If it so, plug the keying output of the Winkey into the KEY IN jack on the DXD. It will direct the Winkey-generated cw to the correct radio.

                    No, you need a usb to serial adapter and a serial port cw interface.

                    73,
                    Tom - N1MM

                    On 4/23/2013 8:58 AM, Art KZ5D wrote:
                    > Hi Tom,
                    >

                    > Using Winkey on Com 8 and Piexx on Com 7.
                    >

                    > I am using the Piexx device to connect to DX Doubler box for CW to both rigs. the DX Doubler output keying is through a 25 pin cable.
                    >

                    > When this was all set up over a year ago, this was the advice of Steve, N2IC.
                    >

                    > Is there a way to key a K-3 directly from a USB port? If so, then I could be almost certain that the Piexx device is at fault.
                    >

                    > 73,
                    >

                    > Art

                  • Art KZ5D
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 23 8:34 AM
                      Ted,

                      I'm not sure I understand your question about the Piexx controlling the DXD. Through N1MM, I am reading radio frequencies, band changing, doing all the usual stuff except sending CW. So I assume that connection from computer through Piexx to DXD is OK?

                      If I plug the winkey into the DXD, will that also be the path for using the F key messages? I'm unable to send these at this time and assumed that would have to go through the Piexx.

                      If I plug the winkey directly into the DXD, then do I Uncheck Winkey box on the com port 8 that I have been using?

                      Thanks for the input.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 23 8:40 AM
                        You are right, Pete. But I believe selecting Winkey on a com port will
                        disable LPT keying. I think I tested this once when playing around with
                        Winkey and the DX Doubler.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 23 9:12 AM
                          Art,

                          The Piexx translator board is for DX Doubler control only. With the Piexx properly configured on a usb port and connected to the DXD with a 25-pin cable, you can control DXD switching from N1MM just as though it were connected to a "real" LPT port on your computer. Does the DXD correctly switch your audio and PTT lines between radios as directed by N1MM?

                          Ok, now the Winkey is completely independent of the DXD. If Winkey is working properly do not change its configuration in N1MM. In the N1MM Configurer, the CW/Other box should be checked on the port used for Winkey (your com 8). Click the Set button for com 8 and make sure the Winkey box is checked.

                          The easiest way to use the Winkey with the DXD is to just simply plug its output into the KEY IN jack on the back of the DXD as you would with any external keyer for manual cw. But this way ALL cw, paddle-sent and N1MM-generated, will be handled by the Winkey but switched to the correct radio via the DXD.

                          As for the F-keys, N1MM sends whatever is programmed in the F-key messages to the Winkey via the Winkey's own com port. Winkey does the rest. I believe once you solve the issue of sending CW, the F-keys will start working.

                          Is the Piexx controlling the DXD ok? If it so, plug the keying output of the Winkey into the KEY IN jack on the DXD. It will direct the Winkey-generated cw to the correct radio.

                          No, you need a usb to serial adapter and a serial port cw interface.

                          73,
                          Tom - N1MM

                          On 4/23/2013 8:58 AM, Art KZ5D wrote:
                          > Hi Tom,
                          >

                          > Using Winkey on Com 8 and Piexx on Com 7.
                          >

                          > I am using the Piexx device to connect to DX Doubler box for CW to both rigs. the DX Doubler output keying is through a 25 pin cable.
                          >

                          > When this was all set up over a year ago, this was the advice of Steve, N2IC.
                          >

                          > Is there a way to key a K-3 directly from a USB port? If so, then I could be almost certain that the Piexx device is at fault.
                          >

                          > 73,
                          >

                          > Art

                        • Art KZ5D
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 23 10:42 AM
                            Jorge,

                            Thank you for sending your diagrams. The problem has been solved by following your configuration of the DXD to the K-3. I had never used the PTT cables between DXD and K-3. In the past it worked OK. But by adding that cable, the problem with erratic CW keying was resolved. Once more, the N1MM gang did a marvelous job.

                            Thanks to Ted, W4NZ, who explained the specific function of the Winkey vs. the Piexx, as well as all of the other helpful suggestions.

                            And kudos to John, K3CT, who has always been a wonderful resource.

                            Of course, Tom, N1MM's input got me focused on the way the Piexx and Winkey operate separately.

                            Thanks again for a fine program and the willingness to lend a hand when we users get in a bind.

                            73,

                            Art KZ5D

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 23 10:44 AM
                              Pete, N4ZR, also deserves a pat on the back for recognizing what was apparently my problem. Forgot to add him into the last post.

                              73,

                              Art

                              Art, you should be using the key and PTT ports on the back of the
                              Winkeyer USB to key your radios and control PTT. The Piexx is really
                              only needed for audio switching on the DXD. I suggest you check the
                              levels on the relevant pins on the LPT jack on the Piexx SO2RXLAT. Also
                              make very sure that the Winkeyer is the *only* CW port that you have
                              selected. Nothing will screw you up faster than selecting more than one
                              CW port.

                              73, Pete N4ZR
                              Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                              http://reversebeacon.net,
                              blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                              For spots, please go to your favorite
                              ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                              On 4/23/2013 8:58 AM, Art KZ5D wrote:
                              > Hi Tom,
                              >

                              > Using Winkey on Com 8 and Piexx on Com 7.
                              >

                              > I am using the Piexx device to connect to DX Doubler box for CW to both rigs. the DX Doubler output keying is through a 25 pin cable.
                              >

                              > When this was all set up over a year ago, this was the advice of Steve, N2IC.
                              >

                              > Is there a way to key a K-3 directly from a USB port? If so, then I could be almost certain that the Piexx device is at fault.
                              >

                              > 73,
                              >

                              > Art

                            • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 23 10:51 AM
                                Nice to know that Art!

                                All this guys were very helpful with me last year to have it running, also Steve N2IC

                                73,

                                Jorge

                                CX6VM/CW5W

                                Is the Piexx controlling the DXD ok? If it so, plug the keying output of the Winkey into the KEY IN jack on the DXD. It will direct the Winkey-generated cw to the correct radio.

                                No, you need a usb to serial adapter and a serial port cw interface.

                                73,
                                Tom - N1MM

                                On 4/23/2013 8:58 AM, Art KZ5D wrote:
                                > Hi Tom,
                                >

                                > Using Winkey on Com 8 and Piexx on Com 7.
                                >

                                > I am using the Piexx device to connect to DX Doubler box for CW to both rigs. the DX Doubler output keying is through a 25 pin cable.
                                >

                                > When this was all set up over a year ago, this was the advice of Steve, N2IC.
                                >

                                > Is there a way to key a K-3 directly from a USB port? If so, then I could be almost certain that the Piexx device is at fault.
                                >

                                > 73,
                                >

                                > Art

                              • Pete Smith N4ZR
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 23 1:47 PM
                                  Actually, the two key jacks and 2 PTT jacks on the back of the Winkey do
                                  an equally good job of following MM's instructions, even on SSB (when
                                  only PTT is needed).

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 23 2:52 PM
                                    Indeed they do. However in my setup I use the Top Ten Devices manufactured
                                    cables between the radios and the DXD. Because of this there is no easy way
                                    to access and re-route the DXD-controlled PTT leads. And I haven't found a
                                    way to disable PTT in software while maintaining control of the DXD. So for
                                    now I'm pretty well limited to letting the Winkey handle all CW chores while
                                    the DXD still controls PTT and audio switching.