Preview new feature - randomized spot offsets.

  • N1MM
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
      Tomorrow's build will have the following feature:

      * /Added Telnet Window option to "Add small random offsets to incoming
      CW spots". This will add or subtract 30 or 60 Hz randomly to
      incoming cw spots to help spread out pileups for the running
      stations that you call. THE DEFAULT IS ON. You can turn it off
      permanently by toggling the option. (Coded by N1MM)/

      The purpose of this feature is to mitigate the zero beat pileups that
      increased use of the spotting network has caused on cw. It used to be
      that you had to be spotted by a human to be affected by this. Now that
      RBN is in place, anyone with a decent signal within the passbands of the
      RBN stations will get spotted. This has made anyone running experience
      this problem much of the time.

      If you already know not to call directly on the spot frequency, then
      turn this feature off. It is expected that a lot of unsophisticated ops
      will never turn it off, and with a large number of them using N1MM
      Logger, the pileups will be spread out as this change rolls out.

      73,
      Tom - N1MM

    • Pete Smith N4ZR
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
        I don't expect to use this myself, but the rationale in the last
        paragraph has convinced me that it makes sense to default it to on.
        People wind up calling on the 0.1 KHz interval because the cluster
        network rounds to them, and our VFOs now are almost too accurate. Almost
        without consciously doing it, I find myself tweaking CQers into my
        something approximating zero beat. Funniest thing - about 45 percent
        need to go up in frequency, 45 percent down, and 10 percent get left
        alone. So in the case of the 10 percent, I suppose I should consciously
        take them out of zero beat. Oh well...

        73, Pete N4ZR
        Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
        http://reversebeacon.net,
        blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
        For spots, please go to your favorite
        ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

        On 4/8/2013 7:33 AM, N1MM wrote:
        > Tomorrow's build will have the following feature:
        >
        > * /Added Telnet Window option to "Add small random offsets to incoming
        > CW spots". This will add or subtract 30 or 60 Hz randomly to
        > incoming cw spots to help spread out pileups for the running
        > stations that you call. THE DEFAULT IS ON. You can turn it off
        > permanently by toggling the option. (Coded by N1MM)/
        >
        > The purpose of this feature is to mitigate the zero beat pileups that
        > increased use of the spotting network has caused on cw. It used to be
        > that you had to be spotted by a human to be affected by this. Now that
        > RBN is in place, anyone with a decent signal within the passbands of the
        > RBN stations will get spotted. This has made anyone running experience
        > this problem much of the time.
        >
        > If you already know not to call directly on the spot frequency, then
        > turn this feature off. It is expected that a lot of unsophisticated ops
        > will never turn it off, and with a large number of them using N1MM
        > Logger, the pileups will be spread out as this change rolls out.
        >
        > 73,
        > Tom - N1MM

      • N1MM
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
          Note that the change will leave no cw spots on their original
          frequency. Post rollout, those running should see (frequencies relative
          to the original spot frequency):

          -100 Hz Wintest users with the similar feature on
          -60 Hz N1MM users with the feature on
          -30 Hz N1MM users
          0 Hz N1MM users with the feature off, 1/3 of Wintest users with the
          similar feature on. There will be no N1MM users with the feature on that
          are dead zero beat.
          +30 Hz N1MM users
          +60 Hz N1MM users
          +100 Hz Wintest users

          Scattered througout will be those who have XIT on or have tuned after
          clicking, unassisted ops, those with imprecise VFOs, etc.

          A preview of the change can be downloaded at:
          http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20

          73,
          Tom - N1MM

          On 4/8/2013 9:15 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
          > I don't expect to use this myself, but the rationale in the last
          > paragraph has convinced me that it makes sense to default it to on.
          > People wind up calling on the 0.1 KHz interval because the cluster
          > network rounds to them, and our VFOs now are almost too accurate. Almost
          > without consciously doing it, I find myself tweaking CQers into my
          > something approximating zero beat. Funniest thing - about 45 percent
          > need to go up in frequency, 45 percent down, and 10 percent get left
          > alone. So in the case of the 10 percent, I suppose I should consciously
          > take them out of zero beat. Oh well...
          >
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
          > Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
          > http://reversebeacon.net,
          > blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
          > For spots, please go to your favorite
          > ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
          >
          > On 4/8/2013 7:33 AM, N1MM wrote:
          >> Tomorrow's build will have the following feature:
          >>
          >> * /Added Telnet Window option to "Add small random offsets to incoming
          >> CW spots". This will add or subtract 30 or 60 Hz randomly to
          >> incoming cw spots to help spread out pileups for the running
          >> stations that you call. THE DEFAULT IS ON. You can turn it off
          >> permanently by toggling the option. (Coded by N1MM)/
          >>
          >> The purpose of this feature is to mitigate the zero beat pileups that
          >> increased use of the spotting network has caused on cw. It used to be
          >> that you had to be spotted by a human to be affected by this. Now that
          >> RBN is in place, anyone with a decent signal within the passbands of the
          >> RBN stations will get spotted. This has made anyone running experience
          >> this problem much of the time.
          >>
          >> If you already know not to call directly on the spot frequency, then
          >> turn this feature off. It is expected that a lot of unsophisticated ops
          >> will never turn it off, and with a large number of them using N1MM
          >> Logger, the pileups will be spread out as this change rolls out.
          >>
          >> 73,
          >> Tom - N1MM

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
            Just curious,
            With this feature, will a spot end up after a hour, say a big rare
            station has been on the same freq for a hour, from the time it was
            initially poted, and is spotted +60 away from real freq, someone clicks
            on it and works him and this is spotted, next guy comes along and clicks
            on that spot where he sees it displayed, it could be 120 away from the
            actual freq now could it not be? after ten spottings the next spot
            could be 600 away from actual operating freq Yes?

            Joe WB9SBD
            Sig
            The Original Rolling Ball Clock
            Idle Tyme
            Idle-Tyme.com
            http://www.idle-tyme.com

          • N1MM
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
              Only if:
              1. The spotting stations don't retune their radios to move the station
              into their passband to a comfortable tone.
              2. RBN stops spotting the station
              3. No one else spots the station correctly.

              73,
              Tom - N1MM

            • vasiliy_k3it
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                It's not likely the error will drift in one direction away from the station. there should be more stations closer to the RX frequency than away from it (something like a "bell curve" centered around the actual freq). Don't think anybody will spot 600hz away - that is 10x the max shift n1mm adds to the spot.

                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Joe <nss@...> wrote:

                > Just curious,
                > With this feature, will a spot end up after a hour, say a big rare
                > station has been on the same freq for a hour, from the time it was
                > initially poted, and is spotted +60 away from real freq, someone clicks
                > on it and works him and this is spotted, next guy comes along and clicks
                > on that spot where he sees it displayed, it could be 120 away from the
                > actual freq now could it not be? after ten spottings the next spot
                > could be 600 away from actual operating freq Yes?
                >
                > Joe WB9SBD
                > Sig
                > The Original Rolling Ball Clock
                > Idle Tyme
                > Idle-Tyme.com
                > http://www.idle-tyme.com
                > On 4/8/2013 8:35 AM, N1MM wrote:
                > > Note that the change will leave no cw spots on their original
                > > frequency. Post rollout, those running should see (frequencies relative
                > > to the original spot frequency):
                > >
                > > -100 Hz Wintest users with the similar feature on
                > > -60 Hz N1MM users with the feature on
                > > -30 Hz N1MM users
                > > 0 Hz N1MM users with the feature off, 1/3 of Wintest users with the
                > > similar feature on. There will be no N1MM users with the feature on that
                > > are dead zero beat.
                > > +30 Hz N1MM users
                > > +60 Hz N1MM users
                > > +100 Hz Wintest users
                > >
                > > Scattered througout will be those who have XIT on or have tuned after
                > > clicking, unassisted ops, those with imprecise VFOs, etc.
                > >
                > > A preview of the change can be downloaded at:
                > > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
                > >
                > > 73,
                > > Tom - N1MM
                > >

                > > On 4/8/2013 9:15 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
                > >> I don't expect to use this myself, but the rationale in the last
                > >> paragraph has convinced me that it makes sense to default it to on.
                > >> People wind up calling on the 0.1 KHz interval because the cluster
                > >> network rounds to them, and our VFOs now are almost too accurate. Almost
                > >> without consciously doing it, I find myself tweaking CQers into my
                > >> something approximating zero beat. Funniest thing - about 45 percent
                > >> need to go up in frequency, 45 percent down, and 10 percent get left
                > >> alone. So in the case of the 10 percent, I suppose I should consciously
                > >> take them out of zero beat. Oh well...
                > >>
                > >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                > >> Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                > >> http://reversebeacon.net,
                > >> blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                > >> For spots, please go to your favorite
                > >> ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

              • KU7Y
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                  Running QRP with poor antennas most of the time, I spend a lot of time
                  waiting to be heard.

                  Over the years I've learned to move the VFO a bit each time I call. After 4
                  or 5 calls I just leave and look for the next station.

                  But quite often I'll get through on the 3rd or 4th call.

                  I also don't use the (A) mode as a rule, so the band map just keeps track of
                  those stations I need to call again. I LOVE that feature!

                  OK, back in my hole,

                  Ron, KU7Y
                  SOWP 5545M
                  Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
                  Silver Springs, NV
                  ku7y@...
                  http://www.hatpinsandmore.com
                  KX3 #0062
                  DM09ji
                • KE1B
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                    We have successfully used N1MM for Field Day for many years, with no problems. We typically operate as either 3A or 4A, plus a GOTA station, a VHF/UHF station, and a Satellite station.

                    This year, I wanted to extend our computer-based logging to the Satellite station. In past years, this station kept a paper log, which we manually integrated into the FD submission after the event. We make a significant number of satellite QSOs (50 to 100: our club had the #1 Satellite submission last year), and the manual process is a bit tedious.

                    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to record the Satellite identifier (AO-27, SO-50, VO-52, etc.) in the log. I guess we could try to reverse-engineer it afterwards from the logged TX/RX bands and operating mode, but that gets us back to manual labor. (And that's assuming that N1MM separately logs the TX and RX frequencies in Field Day.)

                    Has anyone else dealt with this issue, or are satellite Q's just considered almost insignificant for Field Day?

                    Rich
                    FD coordinator for K6MMM (Monkey-Monkey-Monkey)
                  • James C. Hall, MD
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                      Well, Rich, from one FD coordinator to another, satellite Q's are just
                      considered almost insignificant. Here in NW TN, (where it's hotter than hell
                      on FD) we are a small club and run 3A. We try to get a packet contact
                      digipeating through the ISS - - and that's it ! Satellite Q's beyond the one
                      for 100 bonus points are just another Q.

                      We used to put up full-blown Oscar ground stations back when there were a
                      wider selection of 'birds'. And we have NO HEO 'birds' at all since AO-40
                      went down (sniff sniff). Given that the LEO's still functioning present a
                      limited footprint with a limited time on station, it's a LOT of work to put
                      up a satellite station. I'd be interested in your antenna setup for this.
                      Presently we just put up a Cushcraft 'stick' and be done with it. It also
                      doubles as our Winlink antenna for sending messages.

                      73, Jamie

                      WB4YDL

[...]

                      dangerous content by <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner, and is
                      believed to be clean.

                    • Pete Smith N4ZR
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                        What's the (A) mode?

                        On 4/8/2013 11:00 AM, KU7Y wrote:
                        > Running QRP with poor antennas most of the time, I spend a lot of time
                        > waiting to be heard.
                        >
                        > Over the years I've learned to move the VFO a bit each time I call. After 4
                        > or 5 calls I just leave and look for the next station.
                        >
                        > But quite often I'll get through on the 3rd or 4th call.
                        >
                        > I also don't use the (A) mode as a rule, so the band map just keeps track of
                        > those stations I need to call again. I LOVE that feature!
                        >
                        > OK, back in my hole,
                        >
                        > Ron, KU7Y
                        > SOWP 5545M
                        > Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
                        > Silver Springs, NV
                        > ku7y@...
                        > http://www.hatpinsandmore.com
                        > KX3 #0062
                        > DM09ji

                      • KU7Y
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                          Hi Pete,

                          > What's the (A) mode?

                          Assisted mode.

                          I was just pointing out that all I have in the band map is what I put there,
                          so it's not very crowded and I can really hear each station that is shown
                          there.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 23, 2013
                            On Apr 8, 2013, at 4:33 AM, N1MM wrote:

                            > Tomorrow's build will have the following feature:
                            >
                            > * /Added Telnet Window option to "Add small random offsets to incoming
                            > CW spots". This will add or subtract 30 or 60 Hz randomly to
                            > incoming cw spots to help spread out pileups for the running
                            > stations that you call. THE DEFAULT IS ON. You can turn it off
                            > permanently by toggling the option. (Coded by N1MM)/

                            Where is the toggle switch for this option, i.e., what window/tab?

                            Rich KE1B
                          • KE1B
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 23, 2013
                              On Apr 23, 2013, at 10:58 AM, John Bednar wrote:

                              > Release note for version 13.4.2.
                              > John, K3CT

                              Yes, I know that it is in 13.4.2. I am running 13.4.4 and looking for the switch. Where is it? Which window and/or tab?

                              Rich KE1B
                            • Ken Wagner K3IU
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 23, 2013
                                Right click in the Telnet window
                                73,
                                Ken K3iU
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                On 4/23/2013 2:08 PM, KE1B wrote:

                                > On Apr 23, 2013, at 10:58 AM, John
                                > Bednar wrote:
                                >

                                > > Release note for version 13.4.2.
                                > > John, K3CT
                                > >

                                > Yes, I know that it is in 13.4.2. I am
                                > running 13.4.4 and looking for the
                                > switch. Where is it? Which window
                                > and/or tab?
                                >
                                > Rich KE1B

                              • Axel Schernikau, DL6KVA
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 23, 2013
                                  right click in the telnet / packet window.

                                  Axel, DL6KVA

                                  Am 23.04.2013 18:08, schrieb KE1B:
                                  > On Apr 23, 2013, at 10:58 AM, John Bednar wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Release note for version 13.4.2.
                                  >> John, K3CT
                                  >>
                                  > Yes, I know that it is in 13.4.2. I am running 13.4.4 and looking for the switch. Where is it? Which window and/or tab?
                                  >
                                  > Rich KE1B

                                • KE1B
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 23, 2013
                                    On Apr 23, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Ken Wagner K3IU wrote:

                                    > Right click in the Telnet window
                                    > 73,
                                    > Ken K3iU
                                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                    Thanks. With the exception of N1MM, I do everything else on the Mac/OS X. We don't have or need a "right click" for anything, so I never even think of that. ;^) (In fact, my early Mac mouses don't have a left or right click; there is only one button.)

                                    Rich KE1B
                                  • KE1B
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 1, 2013
                                      I'm trying to use the Clublog gateway. I have edited the N1MM Logger.ini file to include the External Broadcast parameters as specified in the ReadMe file, and have the proper login/password info in the Gateway configuration. Every QSO is rejected as "ADIF File Error". Looking at the error log, *all* of the QSO parameters are set to zero: Band, Mode, Time, etc.

                                      Any insight? It appears that the Gateway app is not getting the QSO information from N1MM.

                                      Rich KE1B

                                      (I'd like to use this on next week's DXpedition to Anguilla, if possible.)
                                    • Rick Ellison
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 1, 2013
                                        Rich..
                                        Send me the log file so I can see what it says.

                                        Also on the gateway Click Info then debug then debug on..
                                        Try to log a couple of qso's. After doing so Turn debug off and there will
                                        be a file called DebugLog.txt in the directory where the gateway resides.
                                        Send me that file also..

                                        73 Rick N2AMG

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 9, 2014
                                          I am having the same problem - error (QSO parameters are set to zero) with the N1MM Clublog Gateway... Any solution?

                                          73 Robert, S57AW
                                        • Pete Smith N4ZR