Re: [N1MM] Switch to, Retry, Cancel

  • N1MM
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2013
      It sounds like you are using port sharing with the program, which is not
      supported. Is that correct?

      Tom - N1MM

    • Philip
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 2, 2013
        Is port sharing what I am doing with VSP Manager? or com0com?
        Do you recommend a serial cable in and out of the same computer?
        Phil

      • N1MM
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2, 2013
          Yes, it is port sharing. I recommend that you do not do port sharing,
          or if you must, that you verify problems you are having with N1MM Logger
          occur when port sharing is not used.

          Tom - N1MM

          On 4/2/2013 10:24 AM, Philip wrote:
          > Is port sharing what I am doing with VSP Manager? or com0com?
          > Do you recommend a serial cable in and out of the same computer?
          > Phil
          >
          > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM <tfwagner@...> wrote:
          >> It sounds like you are using port sharing with the program, which is not
          >> supported. Is that correct?
          >>
          >> Tom - N1MM
          >>
          >> On 4/2/2013 8:24 AM, Philip wrote:
          >>> It occurs when I run only the following:
          >>> DDUTIL
          >>> PowerSDR
          >>> N1MM with Rotor
          >>>
          >>> USB devices are plentiful:
          >>> SO2Rxlat
          >>> Edgeport/8
          >>> Winkey
          >>> FlexControl
          >>> Iogear video adapter
          >>>
          >>> VSP Manager
          >>> Two sound cards (1+internal)
          >>> FireWire for Flex5000
          >>>
          >>> At times I will run Chrome, Thunderbird and DXLAB, but have tested without these additional apps running.
          >>>
          >>> Phil K3TUF

        • Philip
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2013
            Ok, that's one of the things I will do to test. Since I have the edgeport/8 I have com ports to patch through.
            You understand the value when both applications are on the same machine. Perhaps a network port could be used?

          • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2013
              Phil,

              The developer of DDUTIL, Dave K5FR, and I had many email exchanges back when
              we were developing serial port programs; programs that demonstrated rare and
              unexplainable failures (up to and including the dreaded BSOD) when operating
              on Windows 64 bits. I attributed the problem to Microsoft's Visual Studio
              serial library and compiler, a combination that was known for serial port
              issues.

              Although the N1MM Logger Dev Team won't be reacting to your results, I would
              be interested to hear (as I think would K5FR) if you have better luck with a
              literal, rather than virtual, port between your FlexRadio and the logging
              program. Microsoft's recently released Visual Studio 2012 claims to have an
              improved serial port library. Perhaps there is some hope for you if Steve
              were able to produce a fresh compile of DDUTIL.

              -larry (K8UT)
              Is port sharing what I am doing with VSP Manager? or com0com?
              Do you recommend a serial cable in and out of the same computer?
              Phil

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM <tfwagner@...> wrote:

              > It sounds like you are using port sharing with the program, which is not
              > supported. Is that correct?
              >
              > Tom - N1MM
              >
              > On 4/2/2013 8:24 AM, Philip wrote:
              > > It occurs when I run only the following:
              > > DDUTIL
              > > PowerSDR
              > > N1MM with Rotor
              > >
              > > USB devices are plentiful:
              > > SO2Rxlat
              > > Edgeport/8
              > > Winkey
              > > FlexControl
              > > Iogear video adapter
              > >
              > > VSP Manager
              > > Two sound cards (1+internal)
              > > FireWire for Flex5000
              > >
              > > At times I will run Chrome, Thunderbird and DXLAB, but have tested
              > > without these additional apps running.
              > >
              > > Phil K3TUF
              > >
              > > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@> wrote:
              > >> Phil,
              > >>
              > >> I realize that you are running other programs at the same time on your
              > >> computer. If you only run the N1MM Logger software on your computer,
              > >> does it
              > >> occur?
              > >>
              > >> John, K3CT

            • Pete Smith N4ZR
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2013
                For whatever it is worth, I have never used port sharing with MM, and I
                have had this error VERY occasionally for years - probably on the order
                of once a contest. I've gotten very good at going into Task Manager and
                killing both processes, then re-starting

                73, Pete N4ZR
                Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                http://reversebeacon.net,
                blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                For spots, please go to your favorite
                ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2013
                  I might live with that if it was my experience, but even if I suspect the event is imminent when it starts to slow down, I can never kill the program successfully and always need to pull the plug to get a restart of the operating system.
                  73,
                  Phil K3TUF

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Phil, have you been killing both processes - N1MM Logger.exe and CW
                    IF.exe? I don't think I have ever had to do a cold reboot.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 3, 2013
                      I have not. That is a good catch, thanks Pete. Now I have better hope for the next time it occurs, because with the OS on SSD, my reboot time is only 15 seconds.
                      Now the elimination process begins with all that I have to try out.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 3, 2013
                        I am working with Steve now, thanks for the idea.
                        73,
                        Phil K3TUF

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 3, 2013
                          I sure hope you can find it, Phil - this thing has been around like forever.