Noob question regarding station information entry

  • sly
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2013
      First time poster and brand new to this program as well as computer logging programs in general. I'll make it short.

      I am going to be operating out in a remote field location using our club's callsign for a contest. When filling out the Station Information page do I:
      1) I assume I put in the clubs call in the "Call" box and not my own?
      2) For the Name and Address box, is it asking for my name or the clubs name? Likewise for address do I put the clubs PO Box or do I put the physical address of the remote location?
      3) What is a Rover QTH?
      4) If I have already put in the club info above then do duplicate the info again in the "Club" box?

      Thanks and I'll probably have a few more along the way. This program looks very complicated and frankly quite intimidating, as least for now. I have been reading the 931 page pdf manual to answer most questions I have.

      n5gqb
    • rich_ve3ki
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
        1. The call sign would be the call sign used in the contest. The call sign that goes in the sent column in the Cabrillo file comes from this box. If you do contests under different call signs (a personal call sign you use most of the time vs. a club call sign that is only used in WPX, on Field Day, etc.), you would probably set up a separate database for each call sign.

        2. The name and address is where you put the mailing address that the plaques and certificates will be mailed to when you win the contest. If you are the person who is organizing the club's entry in the contest, it would probably be your name and address, unless your club has its own mailing address.

        3. The Rover QTH field is for Rover stations in VHF contests and state QSO parties. 99.9% of users (stations that don't move around during the contest) will just leave this blank.

        4. The Club box is where you would mention affiliation with one of the big regional contesting clubs that is competing in the ARRL or CQ club competition (FRC, NCCC, PVRC, SECC, SMC and so on). Scores from individual members of these clubs are aggregated for the club competition (see the contest rules for major ARRL or CQ contests). Your local club's name would not be mentioned here.

        73,
        Rich VE3KI

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "sly" <kapchinskipc@...> wrote:

        > First time poster and brand new to this program as well as computer logging programs in general. I'll make it short.
        >
        > I am going to be operating out in a remote field location using our club's callsign for a contest. When filling out the Station Information page do I:
        > 1) I assume I put in the clubs call in the "Call" box and not my own?
        > 2) For the Name and Address box, is it asking for my name or the clubs name? Likewise for address do I put the clubs PO Box or do I put the physical address of the remote location?
        > 3) What is a Rover QTH?
        > 4) If I have already put in the club info above then do duplicate the info again in the "Club" box?
        >
        > Thanks and I'll probably have a few more along the way. This program looks very complicated and frankly quite intimidating, as least for now. I have been reading the 931 page pdf manual to answer most questions I have.
        >
        > n5gqb

      • John Bednar
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
          The ARRL Section is important for many contests. It's used by many contests
          to control/vary the program operation.

          To a lesser extent the same is true for the zone and grid square. The Grid
          Square and Long/Lat interact. The Long/Lat is used to calculate the beam
          heading.