Re: [N1MM] Mults number?

  • Ken K3IU
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
      This is explained here... (Long URL)
      http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Available+Mults+and+Qs+Window&structure=N1MM+Logger+Digging+Deeper
      73,
      Ken K3IU
      On 3/2/2013 11:07 AM, W2IRT wrote:

      > Nope, that's not what's happening. I have all available Qs
      > and Mults showing in the band. I've worked down most of
      > the mults and only 4 red ones are spotted on my bandmap.
      > In the header, under mults, it shows 29. Even if I tell it
      > to show all modes (not just SSB), including CW spots,
      > there were only 8 or 9 red spots in total. Where is the
      > "29" mults coming from?
      >
      > Does this mean there are 29 different workable entities
      > showing on the band, regardless if they are red or grey?
      > If this is the case, how can I make that header show only
      > the number of unworked mults on a band?
      >
      > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ted Bryant" wrote:
      > >
      > > If I'm understanding what you are seeing, N1MM is
      > showing that there are 4
      > > multipliers on 20M that you have not worked out of the
      > 29 total multipliers
      > > shown. In the Mults column it should display something
      > like "4/29" without
      > > the quotes, of course.
      > >
      > > 73, Ted W4NZ

    • W2IRT
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
        Ken, I read that page and it wasn't entirely clear. Specifically:
        >>The top part of this window indicates the number of multipliers (left column) and potential contacts (right column) available on each band.

        The right column doesn't bother me, it's the left column that's the problem. I hunt mults rabidly and when a new one pops up I'm generally on it like white on rice, hoping to beat the crowd. If it's showing potential mults and not actual new mults it's problematic. How can I (or *can* I) change it to only show something I actually NEED on a band?

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
          The way it is working here is the numbers on the left side
          represent the number of different mults for each band.There
          may be more callsigns listed below in red as mults than the
          number in the left column, because there may be more than
          one call sign for any given mult. When you work one of the
          mults that is represented by several red callsigns in the
          list, that callsign is removed and any other calls of the
          same mult entity is changed from red to blue and the number
          of mults is decreased. What is shown in this window is
          goverened by what settings you have selected when you right
          click in that window.

          Good luck in the contest.

          73, Ken K3IU

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
            Also, you might look at the instructional video here
            (another long URL)...
            http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Video+-+Available+Mults+and+Qs+Window#Video_Available_Mults_and_Qs_Window

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
              Ken, my problem is the exact opposite. There are more mults shown in the header than there are in the window itself. It said there were 29 but, after I'd already worked the vast majority of them down, there were only 4 calls that were actual available mults (all Caribbean stuff I hadn't turned the beam away from Europe to call).

              The numbers are not that dramatic at the moment, and on some bands they're correct, but for example, there are 2 available mult calls showing in the header on 15 for me right now but no red callsigns down below.

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                Guess I can't help you, then. It might have something to do
                with your packet spot time out setting and how often your
                computer is refreshing things.

                Good Luck!
                73, Ken K3IU
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                  I didn't mention it before, but if you want *just mults* to
                  appear in the bottom pane listing, then make sure that you
                  don't have "Show Qs Mults" shecked in the right click menu.
                  73, Ken K3IU
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  On 3/2/2013 2:13 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:

                  > Guess I can't help you, then. It might have something to do
                  > with your packet spot time out setting and how often your
                  > computer is refreshing things.
                  >
                  > Good Luck!
                  > 73, Ken K3IU
                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  > On 3/2/2013 2:09 PM, W2IRT wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ken, my problem is the exact opposite. There are more
                  > > mults shown in the header than there are in the window
                  > > itself. It said there were 29 but, after I'd already
                  > > worked the vast majority of them down, there were only 4
                  > > calls that were actual available mults (all Caribbean
                  > > stuff I hadn't turned the beam away from Europe to call).
                  > >
                  > > The numbers are not that dramatic at the moment, and on
                  > > some bands they're correct, but for example, there are 2
                  > > available mult calls showing in the header on 15 for me
                  > > right now but no red callsigns down below.
                  > >
                  > > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > , Ken K3IU wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The way it is working here is the numbers on the left side
                  > > > represent the number of different mults for each
                  > band.There
                  > > > may be more callsigns listed below in red as mults
                  > than the
                  > > > number in the left column, because there may be more than
                  > > > one call sign for any given mult. When you work one of the
                  > > > mults that is represented by several red callsigns in the
                  > > > list, that callsign is removed and any other calls of the
                  > > > same mult entity is changed from red to blue and the
                  > number
                  > > > of mults is decreased. What is shown in this window is
                  > > > goverened by what settings you have selected when you
                  > right
                  > > > click in that window.
                  > > >
                  > > > Good luck in the contest.
                  > > >
                  > > > 73, Ken K3IU
                  > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  > > hoping
                  > > not
                  > *can* I)
                  > > band?

                  > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                  > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Available+Mults+and+Qs+Window&structure=N1MM+Logger+Digging+Deeper

                  > > most of
                  > > bandmap.
                  > spots,
                  > > is the

                  > > entities
                  > > grey?
                  > > show only

                  > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                  > > of the
                  > > something

                • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                    The problem could also be that the SSB band segments (in "Change Band
                    Plan") are extended down into the RTTY or CW portion of the band. In
                    this case, deselecting RTTY or CW will NOT suppress those spots because
                    the band plan is now expanded into the non-SSB portion of the band.

                    73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                    On 3/2/2013 1:23 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:

                    > I didn't mention it before, but if you want *just mults* to
                    > appear in the bottom pane listing, then make sure that you
                    > don't have "Show Qs Mults" shecked in the right click menu.
                    > 73, Ken K3IU
                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > On 3/2/2013 2:13 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Guess I can't help you, then. It might have something to do
                    > > with your packet spot time out setting and how often your
                    > > computer is refreshing things.
                    > >
                    > > Good Luck!
                    > > 73, Ken K3IU
                    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > > On 3/2/2013 2:09 PM, W2IRT wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Ken, my problem is the exact opposite. There are more
                    > > > mults shown in the header than there are in the window
                    > > > itself. It said there were 29 but, after I'd already
                    > > > worked the vast majority of them down, there were only 4
                    > > > calls that were actual available mults (all Caribbean
                    > > > stuff I hadn't turned the beam away from Europe to call).
                    > > >
                    > > > The numbers are not that dramatic at the moment, and on
                    > > > some bands they're correct, but for example, there are 2
                    > > > available mult calls showing in the header on 15 for me
                    > > > right now but no red callsigns down below.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                    > > band.There
                    > > than the
                    > > number
                    > > right

                    > > > hoping
                    > > > not
                    > > *can* I)
                    > > > band?

                    > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                    > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Available+Mults+and+Qs+Window&structure=N1MM+Logger+Digging+Deeper

                    > > > most of
                    > > > bandmap.
                    > > spots,
                    > > > is the

                    > > > entities
                    > > > grey?
                    > > > show only

                    > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                    > > > of the
                    > > > something

                  • W2IRT
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                      This is the first thing I thought of, actually. If you check my original post, you'll see that I stated that I selected all spots in the band ("All Modes"), so, in theory, I should see every spot in the band, including CW and digital.

                      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...> wrote:

                      > The problem could also be that the SSB band segments (in "Change Band
                      > Plan") are extended down into the RTTY or CW portion of the band. In
                      > this case, deselecting RTTY or CW will NOT suppress those spots because
                      > the band plan is now expanded into the non-SSB portion of the band.
                      >
                      > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                      > On 3/2/2013 1:23 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I didn't mention it before, but if you want *just mults* to
                      > > appear in the bottom pane listing, then make sure that you
                      > > don't have "Show Qs Mults" shecked in the right click menu.
                      > > 73, Ken K3IU
                      > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      > > On 3/2/2013 2:13 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Guess I can't help you, then. It might have something to do
                      > > > with your packet spot time out setting and how often your
                      > > > computer is refreshing things.
                      > > >
                      > > > Good Luck!
                      > > > 73, Ken K3IU
                      > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      > > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                      > > > band.There
                      > > > than the
                      > > > number
                      > > > right

                      > > > *can* I)

                      > > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                      > > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Available+Mults+and+Qs+Window&structure=N1MM+Logger+Digging+Deeper

                      > > > spots,

                      > > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                    • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                        It doesn't make sense to me. At this point a reboot of the computer
                        might be in order.

                        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                        On 3/2/2013 2:30 PM, W2IRT wrote:

                        > This is the first thing I thought of, actually. If you check my
                        > original post, you'll see that I stated that I selected all spots in
                        > the band ("All Modes"), so, in theory, I should see every spot in the
                        > band, including CW and digital.
                        >
                        > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The problem could also be that the SSB band segments (in "Change Band
                        > > Plan") are extended down into the RTTY or CW portion of the band. In
                        > > this case, deselecting RTTY or CW will NOT suppress those spots because
                        > > the band plan is now expanded into the non-SSB portion of the band.
                        > >
                        > > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                        > > On 3/2/2013 1:23 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I didn't mention it before, but if you want *just mults* to
                        > > > appear in the bottom pane listing, then make sure that you
                        > > > don't have "Show Qs Mults" shecked in the right click menu.
                        > > > 73, Ken K3IU
                        > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                        > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                        > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                        > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Available+Mults+and+Qs+Window&structure=N1MM+Logger+Digging+Deeper

                        > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                      • Pete Smith N4ZR
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                          There's definitely something wrong with the Mult counts in the Available
                          window.

                          On 15 M, with Contest Mode Category *or* SSB spots checked, I'm showing
                          9 mults available. However, there are only 8 Red calls on the bandmap
                          and in the Available Window. If I switch to All Modes, then I see 9 red
                          calls, one of which is on CW. A similar thing is happening on 20, where
                          no red calls show in either place, but the Available window reports 1
                          mult available to work. If I switch to All Modes, then I can see the
                          Red CW spot.

                          It seems pretty obvious to me that the Available window is counting
                          mults on both CW and SSB modes regardless of the mode of the contest
                          (ARRL DX SSB) or the selection checked on the right-click menu.

                          73, Pete N4ZR
                          Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                          http://reversebeacon.net,
                          blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                          For spots, please go to your favorite
                          ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                        • Peter Chamalian
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 3, 2013
                            You aren't missing anything. The code is calculating the total number of
                            mults possible, not only the ones on the mode for the contest. I reported
                            this after ARRL CW.

                            Pete, W1RM

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 3, 2013
                              It's an out-and-out bug. Mults that can't be worked in the present
                              contest are just plain irrelevant.

                              On 3/3/2013 7:18 AM, Peter Chamalian wrote:
                              > You aren't missing anything. The code is calculating the total number of
                              > mults possible, not only the ones on the mode for the contest. I reported
                              > this after ARRL CW.
                              >

                              > Pete, W1RM

                            • k3ct
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 3, 2013
                                Keep in mind that the mode for most spots is determined by frequency.  Makes me wonder if there will be more user issues if this is changed.

                                John, K3CT

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 3, 2013
                                  John, I don't understand why there should be a debate about this. Most
                                  contests are one mode or the other, and there is no user benefit in
                                  counting unworkable mults. I always use radio mode on the Mode Control
                                  tab, so I don't think that tab should be imposing any band plans
                                  anywhere in the program, should it? In any case, all the CW spots are at
                                  least 100 KHz below the start of the phone band on 15, and 80 KHz on 20.

                                  I do not believe it has been this way since the beginning of time - most
                                  likely a bug introduced in some Available window changes.

                                  Just now it was showing me 19 mults on 20, of whom 17 were CW stations.

                                  On 3/3/2013 8:03 AM, k3ct wrote:
                                  > Keep in mind that the mode for most spots is determined by frequency. Makes me wonder if there will be more user issues if this is changed.
                                  >
                                  > John, K3CT

                                • Dennis
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 3, 2013
                                    Personally, I would rather use a filter on my Telnet spots so that the
                                    CW spots never hit my computer. That way, they'll never show in the
                                    program or as part of the mult count on a band.

                                    Dennis W1UE

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 4, 2013
                                      I did a bit of poking around with this issue during the
                                      contest and discovered that the band plan settings were
                                      causing a problem in the spots. I had the context (right
                                      click) menu for Avail Mults & Qs set to "Contest Mode
                                      Category." Even though I had the SSB Band Plan set to the
                                      limits of the "legal" frequencies, e.g., 7125 - 7300, if the
                                      CW Band Plan were set to show, say, 7000 - 7150, the bandmap
                                      and and Available Mults & Qs windows would NOT show any
                                      Spots below 7150. It seems that the CW Band Plan trumped the
                                      SSB band plan even though this was a SSB contest. When I
                                      adjusted the CW Band Plan to 7000 - 7125, the SSB spots
                                      between 7125 and 7150 would appear and the mult numbers
                                      seemed to be correct.

                                      I wish I had written all of this down yesterday, but I had
                                      other things going on. I am pretty sure that at least this
                                      was happening.

                                      73,
                                      Ken K3iU