Speaking of databases - A newbie question.

  • radio_ng2d
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
      Should I create a new database for each contest or just keep adding to the original database?

      - Bill
    • VE6LB
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
        No. I normally create a new DB for each year and a new entry in the DB for each contest.

        73, Gerry VE6LB

        Should I create a new database for each contest or just keep adding to the original database?

        - Bill

      • Pete Smith N4ZR
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
          Take a quick look at
          <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Video+-+Databases+%26+Logs>

          arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

          On 11/2/2012 8:56 AM, radio_ng2d wrote:
          > Should I create a new database for each contest or just keep adding to the original database?
          >
          > - Bill

        • radio_ng2d
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
            Cool!

            Thank you,
            Bill

            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...> wrote:

            > Take a quick look at
            > <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Video+-+Databases+%26+Logs>
            >
            > 73, Pete N4ZR
            > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
            > spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 and
            > arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
            >
            > On 11/2/2012 8:56 AM, radio_ng2d wrote:
            > > Should I create a new database for each contest or just keep adding to the original database?
            > >
            > > - Bill

          • Rex Maner
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
              When you start a new contest, you automatically start a new database when you set up for that contest.

              GL CU in SS

              Rex

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                That is incorrect.

                I store all my logs in a single database. There are currently about
                50,000 QSOs in my ham.mdb. Some contests (like WAE) put a larger load
                on the db engine than others. I usually have a pretty powerful computer
                so I don't feel the need to separate logs into different databases.

                You should periodically copy & compact your database and start using the
                new one. All db engines create garbage that needs to be cleaned up
                periodically. Just before a major effort would be a good time to do that.

                Always make backups of your contest databases. It saves a lot of tears
                later on.

                73,
                Tom - N1MM
                On 11/2/2012 10:34 AM, Rex Maner wrote:
                > When you start a new contest, you automatically start a new database when you set up for that contest.
                >
                > GL CU in SS
                >
                > Rex

              • Terry G. Glagowski
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                  You can do EITHER. One database per contest, or one per year, or one PERIOD.

                  The tradeoff is.

                  The larger the database, the less efficient the database engine becomes
                  while accessing it.

                  The more databases you have, the more effort you have in managing them,
                  making backups, and finding the data later (use good naming conventions).

                  If you are a small frye contester making few dozen contacts in each contest,
                  maybe a single database is a good idea, or one per year.

                  If you are a super station, one database per contest or one per year may be
                  a better idea.

                  Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR
                  HAM: W1TR / USAF MARS: AFA1DI
                  25 Hnath Road, Ashford, CT 06278
                  (508) 864-0041 (Terry's cell)
                  (860) 429-9444 (Landline)
                  (EMail) W1TR@... or W1TR@...
                  (Web) http://www.Glagowski.org/Radio

                  I store all my logs in a single database. There are currently about
                  50,000 QSOs in my ham.mdb. Some contests (like WAE) put a larger load
                  on the db engine than others. I usually have a pretty powerful computer
                  so I don't feel the need to separate logs into different databases.

                  You should periodically copy & compact your database and start using the
                  new one. All db engines create garbage that needs to be cleaned up
                  periodically. Just before a major effort would be a good time to do that.

                  Always make backups of your contest databases. It saves a lot of tears
                  later on.

                  73,
                  Tom - N1MM
                  On 11/2/2012 10:34 AM, Rex Maner wrote:
                  > When you start a new contest, you automatically start a new database when
                  you set up for that contest.

                  > GL CU in SS
                  >
                  > Rex

                • Pete Smith N4ZR
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                    This is incorrect.

                    arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

                    On 11/2/2012 10:34 AM, Rex Maner wrote:
                    > When you start a new contest, you automatically start a new database when you set up for that contest.
                    >
                    > GL CU in SS
                    >
                    > Rex

                  • Dave Hachadorian
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                      In my early months of using N1MM, I had a database get corrupted,
                      and lost the files for several contests.

                      Ever since then, I start a new database for each contest. For SS
                      this weekend, the database name is 2012 SS CW.

                      I don’t see any downside to doing it this way.

                      Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
                      Yuma, Arizona

                      .