RE: [N1MM] N1MM failed

  • John Bednar
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
      Usually when you move the USB to COM converter to a different USB jack, the
      virtual COM port number will change. This will prevent the radio
      communications from functioning.

      Make sure that the Windows power down is disabled for all USB COM ports. If
      not, the radio will work for a short time and then it will stop.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
        I suggest trying your K3 with the K3 Utility, Tony - it will quickly
        test communications and notify you if there's a problem with the radio.
        I'm on my third U1 on the KIO3A board - they seem to be quite fragile.
        I've been advised that it is extremely important to ground your radio
        and computer to a single common point, to prevent different chassis
        potentials.

        arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

        On 11/1/2012 6:41 PM, Steve London wrote:
        > Every one of your symptoms indicates that N1MM Logger is not talking to the K3.
        >
        > Since N1MM has clearly not failed, as evidenced by 1000's of happy users, that
        > leaves the PC itself, or the K3 (since you have already swapped cables). I
        > presume you have gone into the device manager and verified that the virtual COM
        > port number has not changed.
        >
        > Next, make sure there are no hidden/phantom users of that COM port. See section
        > 10.4 of
        > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial%2C+Parallel+and+Sound+Card+Interfacing
        > . After you expose the hidden/phantom COM ports, make sure there is only ONE
        > entry for the virtual COM port you are using to communicate with the K3.
        >
        > Once you have eliminated that as a possibility, that only leaves the K3 itself.
        >
        > 73,
        > Steve, N2IC
        >

        > On 11/01/2012 04:18 PM, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
        >> Everyone, I've had a failure of N1MM here, at least that's what seems to be
        >> the case.
        >>
        >> After long, long periods of perfect behavior, and without provocation, Logger
        >> has quit on me! At first the failure was intermittent, but now it's
        >> continuous. Here are the symtoms:
        >>
        >> --the K3 is not following commands from N1MM. The CAT cable (original
        >> Elecraft) has been substituted for with an identical cable, with no change.
        >> Also, no change when the cable is plugged into another USB jack on the PC. I
        >> have not tried to force a new COM port number. Should I do that? If so,
        >> how?
        >>
        >> --N1MM does not follow the K3 frequency
        >>
        >> --When N1MM first comes up, the bandmap and entry screen show 0.0 as the
        >> frequency. The error message "Lost Communication with Radio 1" appears, and
        >> after hitting the RETRY button, the bandmap shows a frequency of 14200,0 but
        >> that's not where the K3 is, and there is no control.
        >>
        >> --The bandmap DOES fill with telnet spots. When I click on a telnet spot,
        >> the cursor on the bandmap goes to that frequency, but the K3 does not.
        >>
        >> --The "Reset Radios" setting in Configure has no effect. Neither does the
        >> RETRY button on the "Lost Communication with Radio 1" error screen.
        >>
        >> --I've recently updated to the most recent version of N1MM. Again, no luck.
        >>
        >> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks and 73, Tony, N2UN

      • ANTHONY JAPHA
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
          Thanks to all who have offered suggestions. I will attempt to try them all in the next day or two and will let the group know the results.

          Great support here.

          73,
          Tony, N2UN

        • John Bednar
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
            I added code for radios with voice DVK to send the DVK stop command to the
            active radio when Esc is pressed. I have the DVK stop commands for the K3,
            TS-590, FT450, FT950, FT2000, FT5000, and FT9000. Please send me the CAT
            commands for any other radios to be included.

            Experimental software is posted at the link below for testing.
            http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20

            If I make changes to this code, I will change the release note.