Re: [N1MM] N1MM failed

  • Steve London
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
      Every one of your symptoms indicates that N1MM Logger is not talking to the K3.

      Since N1MM has clearly not failed, as evidenced by 1000's of happy users, that
      leaves the PC itself, or the K3 (since you have already swapped cables). I
      presume you have gone into the device manager and verified that the virtual COM
      port number has not changed.

      Next, make sure there are no hidden/phantom users of that COM port. See section
      10.4 of
      http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial%2C+Parallel+and+Sound+Card+Interfacing
      . After you expose the hidden/phantom COM ports, make sure there is only ONE
      entry for the virtual COM port you are using to communicate with the K3.

      Once you have eliminated that as a possibility, that only leaves the K3 itself.

      73,
      Steve, N2IC

      On 11/01/2012 04:18 PM, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
      > Everyone, I've had a failure of N1MM here, at least that's what seems to be
      > the case.
      >
      > After long, long periods of perfect behavior, and without provocation, Logger
      > has quit on me! At first the failure was intermittent, but now it's
      > continuous. Here are the symtoms:
      >
      > --the K3 is not following commands from N1MM. The CAT cable (original
      > Elecraft) has been substituted for with an identical cable, with no change.
      > Also, no change when the cable is plugged into another USB jack on the PC. I
      > have not tried to force a new COM port number. Should I do that? If so,
      > how?
      >
      > --N1MM does not follow the K3 frequency
      >
      > --When N1MM first comes up, the bandmap and entry screen show 0.0 as the
      > frequency. The error message "Lost Communication with Radio 1" appears, and
      > after hitting the RETRY button, the bandmap shows a frequency of 14200,0 but
      > that's not where the K3 is, and there is no control.
      >
      > --The bandmap DOES fill with telnet spots. When I click on a telnet spot,
      > the cursor on the bandmap goes to that frequency, but the K3 does not.
      >
      > --The "Reset Radios" setting in Configure has no effect. Neither does the
      > RETRY button on the "Lost Communication with Radio 1" error screen.
      >
      > --I've recently updated to the most recent version of N1MM. Again, no luck.
      >
      > Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks and 73, Tony, N2UN

    • Carol Richards
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
        I sent it out to a guy who only deals with ICOM..Parts were replaced from the board where the CAT cable plugs in.

        Carol
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
          Usually when you move the USB to COM converter to a different USB jack, the
          virtual COM port number will change. This will prevent the radio
          communications from functioning.

          Make sure that the Windows power down is disabled for all USB COM ports. If
          not, the radio will work for a short time and then it will stop.

          Every one of your symptoms indicates that N1MM Logger is not talking to the
          K3.

          Since N1MM has clearly not failed, as evidenced by 1000's of happy users,
          that leaves the PC itself, or the K3 (since you have already swapped
          cables). I presume you have gone into the device manager and verified that
          the virtual COM port number has not changed.

          Next, make sure there are no hidden/phantom users of that COM port. See
          section
          10.4 of
          http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial%2C+Parallel+and+Sound+Car
          d+Interfacing
          . After you expose the hidden/phantom COM ports, make sure there is only ONE
          entry for the virtual COM port you are using to communicate with the K3.

          Once you have eliminated that as a possibility, that only leaves the K3
          itself.

          73,
          Steve, N2IC

          On 11/01/2012 04:18 PM, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
          > Everyone, I've had a failure of N1MM here, at least that's what seems
          > to be the case.
          >
          > After long, long periods of perfect behavior, and without provocation,
          > Logger has quit on me! At first the failure was intermittent, but now
          > it's continuous. Here are the symtoms:
          >
          > --the K3 is not following commands from N1MM. The CAT cable (original
          > Elecraft) has been substituted for with an identical cable, with no
          change.
          > Also, no change when the cable is plugged into another USB jack on the
          > PC. I have not tried to force a new COM port number. Should I do
          > that? If so, how?
          >
          > --N1MM does not follow the K3 frequency
          >
          > --When N1MM first comes up, the bandmap and entry screen show 0.0 as
          > the frequency. The error message "Lost Communication with Radio 1"
          > appears, and after hitting the RETRY button, the bandmap shows a
          > frequency of 14200,0 but that's not where the K3 is, and there is no
          control.

          > --The bandmap DOES fill with telnet spots. When I click on a telnet
          > spot, the cursor on the bandmap goes to that frequency, but the K3 does
          not.

          > --The "Reset Radios" setting in Configure has no effect. Neither does
          > the RETRY button on the "Lost Communication with Radio 1" error screen.
          >
          > --I've recently updated to the most recent version of N1MM. Again, no
          luck.

          > Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks and 73, Tony,
          > N2UN

        • Pete Smith N4ZR
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
            I suggest trying your K3 with the K3 Utility, Tony - it will quickly
            test communications and notify you if there's a problem with the radio.
            I'm on my third U1 on the KIO3A board - they seem to be quite fragile.
            I've been advised that it is extremely important to ground your radio
            and computer to a single common point, to prevent different chassis
            potentials.

            arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

            On 11/1/2012 6:41 PM, Steve London wrote:
            > Every one of your symptoms indicates that N1MM Logger is not talking to the K3.
            >
            > Since N1MM has clearly not failed, as evidenced by 1000's of happy users, that
            > leaves the PC itself, or the K3 (since you have already swapped cables). I
            > presume you have gone into the device manager and verified that the virtual COM
            > port number has not changed.
            >
            > Next, make sure there are no hidden/phantom users of that COM port. See section
            > 10.4 of
            > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial%2C+Parallel+and+Sound+Card+Interfacing
            > . After you expose the hidden/phantom COM ports, make sure there is only ONE
            > entry for the virtual COM port you are using to communicate with the K3.
            >
            > Once you have eliminated that as a possibility, that only leaves the K3 itself.
            >
            > 73,
            > Steve, N2IC
            >

            > On 11/01/2012 04:18 PM, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
            >> Everyone, I've had a failure of N1MM here, at least that's what seems to be
            >> the case.
            >>
            >> After long, long periods of perfect behavior, and without provocation, Logger
            >> has quit on me! At first the failure was intermittent, but now it's
            >> continuous. Here are the symtoms:
            >>
            >> --the K3 is not following commands from N1MM. The CAT cable (original
            >> Elecraft) has been substituted for with an identical cable, with no change.
            >> Also, no change when the cable is plugged into another USB jack on the PC. I
            >> have not tried to force a new COM port number. Should I do that? If so,
            >> how?
            >>
            >> --N1MM does not follow the K3 frequency
            >>
            >> --When N1MM first comes up, the bandmap and entry screen show 0.0 as the
            >> frequency. The error message "Lost Communication with Radio 1" appears, and
            >> after hitting the RETRY button, the bandmap shows a frequency of 14200,0 but
            >> that's not where the K3 is, and there is no control.
            >>
            >> --The bandmap DOES fill with telnet spots. When I click on a telnet spot,
            >> the cursor on the bandmap goes to that frequency, but the K3 does not.
            >>
            >> --The "Reset Radios" setting in Configure has no effect. Neither does the
            >> RETRY button on the "Lost Communication with Radio 1" error screen.
            >>
            >> --I've recently updated to the most recent version of N1MM. Again, no luck.
            >>
            >> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks and 73, Tony, N2UN

          • ANTHONY JAPHA
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
              Thanks to all who have offered suggestions. I will attempt to try them all in the next day or two and will let the group know the results.

              Great support here.

              73,
              Tony, N2UN

            • John Bednar
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                I added code for radios with voice DVK to send the DVK stop command to the
                active radio when Esc is pressed. I have the DVK stop commands for the K3,
                TS-590, FT450, FT950, FT2000, FT5000, and FT9000. Please send me the CAT
                commands for any other radios to be included.

                Experimental software is posted at the link below for testing.
                http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20

                If I make changes to this code, I will change the release note.