Re: [N1MM] N1MM failed

  • Robert Chudek - K0RC
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
      All the symptoms you are experiencing are "correct" when the CAT cable
      between the computer and radio has been pulled.

      You already tried a different cable. Other things to check would be the
      baud rate set for the K3, both at the K3 and in N1MM Logger. The
      communication speed should be 'hard coded' to a value, do not use
      'auto-detect' if that is an option in the radio.

      Less likely problems would be failure of the COM port in the radio or
      USB port in the computer (from lightning possibly).

      What port have you set N1MM Logger to use for the K3?

      73 de Bob - K├śRC in MN

      On 11/1/2012 5:18 PM, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:

      > Everyone,
      > I've had a failure of N1MM here, at least that's what seems to be the
      > case.
      >
      > After long, long periods of perfect behavior, and without provocation,
      > Logger has quit on me! At first the failure was intermittent, but now
      > it's continuous. Here are the symtoms:
      >
      > --the K3 is not following commands from N1MM. The CAT cable (original
      > Elecraft) has been substituted for with an identical cable, with no
      > change. Also, no change when the cable is plugged into another USB
      > jack on the PC. I have not tried to force a new COM port number.
      > Should I do that? If so, how?
      >
      > --N1MM does not follow the K3 frequency
      >
      > --When N1MM first comes up, the bandmap and entry screen show 0.0 as
      > the frequency. The error message "Lost Communication with Radio 1"
      > appears, and after hitting the RETRY button, the bandmap shows a
      > frequency of 14200,0 but that's not where the K3 is, and there is no
      > control.
      >
      > --The bandmap DOES fill with telnet spots. When I click on a telnet
      > spot, the cursor on the bandmap goes to that frequency, but the K3
      > does not.
      >
      > --The "Reset Radios" setting in Configure has no effect. Neither does
      > the RETRY button on the "Lost Communication with Radio 1" error screen.
      >
      > --I've recently updated to the most recent version of N1MM. Again, no
      > luck.
      >
      > Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
      > Thanks and 73,
      > Tony, N2UN

    • Michael Adams
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
        Simplest possibility is that the new cable/adapter is getting a new COM
        port number.

        In Vista and Win 7, find your way to Device Manager, find the adapter,
        right-click, properties, advanced, and there should be an option to change
        the number.

        I suspect the process is similar in XP, but I'm not currently in a position
        to check.

        --
        Michael D. Adams (N1EN/0) | Minnetonka, Minnesota | mda@...

[...]

      • ANTHONY JAPHA
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
          Thanks Carol. What was done to fix it?
          Tony

        • Steve London
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
            Every one of your symptoms indicates that N1MM Logger is not talking to the K3.

            Since N1MM has clearly not failed, as evidenced by 1000's of happy users, that
            leaves the PC itself, or the K3 (since you have already swapped cables). I
            presume you have gone into the device manager and verified that the virtual COM
            port number has not changed.

            Next, make sure there are no hidden/phantom users of that COM port. See section
            10.4 of
            http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial%2C+Parallel+and+Sound+Card+Interfacing
            . After you expose the hidden/phantom COM ports, make sure there is only ONE
            entry for the virtual COM port you are using to communicate with the K3.

            Once you have eliminated that as a possibility, that only leaves the K3 itself.

            73,
            Steve, N2IC

            On 11/01/2012 04:18 PM, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
            > Everyone, I've had a failure of N1MM here, at least that's what seems to be
            > the case.
            >
            > After long, long periods of perfect behavior, and without provocation, Logger
            > has quit on me! At first the failure was intermittent, but now it's
            > continuous. Here are the symtoms:
            >
            > --the K3 is not following commands from N1MM. The CAT cable (original
            > Elecraft) has been substituted for with an identical cable, with no change.
            > Also, no change when the cable is plugged into another USB jack on the PC. I
            > have not tried to force a new COM port number. Should I do that? If so,
            > how?
            >
            > --N1MM does not follow the K3 frequency
            >
            > --When N1MM first comes up, the bandmap and entry screen show 0.0 as the
            > frequency. The error message "Lost Communication with Radio 1" appears, and
            > after hitting the RETRY button, the bandmap shows a frequency of 14200,0 but
            > that's not where the K3 is, and there is no control.
            >
            > --The bandmap DOES fill with telnet spots. When I click on a telnet spot,
            > the cursor on the bandmap goes to that frequency, but the K3 does not.
            >
            > --The "Reset Radios" setting in Configure has no effect. Neither does the
            > RETRY button on the "Lost Communication with Radio 1" error screen.
            >
            > --I've recently updated to the most recent version of N1MM. Again, no luck.
            >
            > Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks and 73, Tony, N2UN

          • Carol Richards
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
              I sent it out to a guy who only deals with ICOM..Parts were replaced from the board where the CAT cable plugs in.

              Carol
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                Usually when you move the USB to COM converter to a different USB jack, the
                virtual COM port number will change. This will prevent the radio
                communications from functioning.

                Make sure that the Windows power down is disabled for all USB COM ports. If
                not, the radio will work for a short time and then it will stop.

                Every one of your symptoms indicates that N1MM Logger is not talking to the
                K3.

                Since N1MM has clearly not failed, as evidenced by 1000's of happy users,
                that leaves the PC itself, or the K3 (since you have already swapped
                cables). I presume you have gone into the device manager and verified that
                the virtual COM port number has not changed.

                Next, make sure there are no hidden/phantom users of that COM port. See
                section
                10.4 of
                http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial%2C+Parallel+and+Sound+Car
                d+Interfacing
                . After you expose the hidden/phantom COM ports, make sure there is only ONE
                entry for the virtual COM port you are using to communicate with the K3.

                Once you have eliminated that as a possibility, that only leaves the K3
                itself.

                73,
                Steve, N2IC

                On 11/01/2012 04:18 PM, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
                > Everyone, I've had a failure of N1MM here, at least that's what seems
                > to be the case.
                >
                > After long, long periods of perfect behavior, and without provocation,
                > Logger has quit on me! At first the failure was intermittent, but now
                > it's continuous. Here are the symtoms:
                >
                > --the K3 is not following commands from N1MM. The CAT cable (original
                > Elecraft) has been substituted for with an identical cable, with no
                change.
                > Also, no change when the cable is plugged into another USB jack on the
                > PC. I have not tried to force a new COM port number. Should I do
                > that? If so, how?
                >
                > --N1MM does not follow the K3 frequency
                >
                > --When N1MM first comes up, the bandmap and entry screen show 0.0 as
                > the frequency. The error message "Lost Communication with Radio 1"
                > appears, and after hitting the RETRY button, the bandmap shows a
                > frequency of 14200,0 but that's not where the K3 is, and there is no
                control.

                > --The bandmap DOES fill with telnet spots. When I click on a telnet
                > spot, the cursor on the bandmap goes to that frequency, but the K3 does
                not.

                > --The "Reset Radios" setting in Configure has no effect. Neither does
                > the RETRY button on the "Lost Communication with Radio 1" error screen.
                >
                > --I've recently updated to the most recent version of N1MM. Again, no
                luck.

                > Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks and 73, Tony,
                > N2UN

              • Pete Smith N4ZR
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                  I suggest trying your K3 with the K3 Utility, Tony - it will quickly
                  test communications and notify you if there's a problem with the radio.
                  I'm on my third U1 on the KIO3A board - they seem to be quite fragile.
                  I've been advised that it is extremely important to ground your radio
                  and computer to a single common point, to prevent different chassis
                  potentials.

                  arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                    Thanks to all who have offered suggestions. I will attempt to try them all in the next day or two and will let the group know the results.

                    Great support here.

                    73,
                    Tony, N2UN

                  • John Bednar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                      I added code for radios with voice DVK to send the DVK stop command to the
                      active radio when Esc is pressed. I have the DVK stop commands for the K3,
                      TS-590, FT450, FT950, FT2000, FT5000, and FT9000. Please send me the CAT
                      commands for any other radios to be included.

                      Experimental software is posted at the link below for testing.
                      http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20

                      If I make changes to this code, I will change the release note.