A wish

  • radio_ng2d
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
      Being a new N1MM user, I would like to say how great it is. Not only is the application itself fantastic, the the Yahoo Group support, being so friendly and supportive, is outstanding as well. As a retired programmer myself, I know what it takes to write good code and the effort required to maintain it. Having said that, I have a wish. (I can't help myself).

      My wish has to do with transferring the log to other programs. I use Ham Radio Deluxe for my everyday logs, so when the contest was over I set about transferring the contest contacts to HRD. I exported the data to an ADIF file, but then I found the file was missing some important details. I had to edit the file to add them before importing it. In particular I added two fields, the state and a comment. It was no easy task but I got the job done with the help of a good editor. I filled in the state field only for United State and Canadian contacts. For the comment field I simply put the contest name followed by a dash and the exchange, e.g. "NYQP - DUT", or "NYQP - DX", or whatever. It would ease matters if N1MM were to include these two fields in the ADIF file.

      I am somewhat hesitant to open what might be a can of worms; I can think of other fields that I or others might want to add as well, but I think my suggestion should be sufficient for most users.

      Thanks,
      - Bill, NG2D
    • Brian Alsop
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
        Hi Bill,

        N1MM has an export to "generic" file option. It's .txt file appears to
        include the entire exchange including state and comment.
        Here are the top two lines of such a file.

        > Date Time Freq Mode MyCall Rst Nr Zn Call RST Zn M1 M2 M3 Pts R Comment
        > 20120929 0111 14079.38 RTTY K3KO 599 001 5 VE7CF 599 3 VE 3 BC 2

        73 de Brian/K3KO

        On 10/30/2012 12:38, radio_ng2d wrote:
        > Being a new N1MM user, I would like to say how great it is. Not only is
        > the application itself fantastic, the the Yahoo Group support, being so
        > friendly and supportive, is outstanding as well. As a retired programmer
        > myself, I know what it takes to write good code and the effort required
        > to maintain it. Having said that, I have a wish. (I can't help myself).
        >
        > My wish has to do with transferring the log to other programs. I use Ham
        > Radio Deluxe for my everyday logs, so when the contest was over I set
        > about transferring the contest contacts to HRD. I exported the data to
        > an ADIF file, but then I found the file was missing some important
        > details. I had to edit the file to add them before importing it. In
        > particular I added two fields, the state and a comment. It was no easy
        > task but I got the job done with the help of a good editor. I filled in
        > the state field only for United State and Canadian contacts. For the
        > comment field I simply put the contest name followed by a dash and the
        > exchange, e.g. "NYQP - DUT", or "NYQP - DX", or whatever. It would ease
        > matters if N1MM were to include these two fields in the ADIF file.
        >
        > I am somewhat hesitant to open what might be a can of worms; I can think
        > of other fields that I or others might want to add as well, but I think
        > my suggestion should be sufficient for most users.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > - Bill, NG2D
        >

        > No virus found in this message.

        -----
        No virus found in this message.
      • John Bednar
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
          Bill,

          What contest? I'm sure that the ADIF export includes all exchange fields.

          John, K3CT

          On 10/30/12, radio_ng2d wrote:

[...]

        • Tom Haavisto
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
            What I do is export the log as an ADIF file, then change the "<CONTEST_ID"
            tag to "<COMMENT".

            There is no state info for the CQWW, but it does get exported in the ADIF
            file for contests that support it.

            Tom - VE3CX

            On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM, radio_ng2d <bills_eyepiece@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Being a new N1MM user, I would like to say how great it is. Not only is
            > the application itself fantastic, the the Yahoo Group support, being so
            > friendly and supportive, is outstanding as well. As a retired programmer
            > myself, I know what it takes to write good code and the effort required to
            > maintain it. Having said that, I have a wish. (I can't help myself).
            >
            > My wish has to do with transferring the log to other programs. I use Ham
            > Radio Deluxe for my everyday logs, so when the contest was over I set about
            > transferring the contest contacts to HRD. I exported the data to an ADIF
            > file, but then I found the file was missing some important details. I had
            > to edit the file to add them before importing it. In particular I added two
            > fields, the state and a comment. It was no easy task but I got the job done
            > with the help of a good editor. I filled in the state field only for United
            > State and Canadian contacts. For the comment field I simply put the contest
            > name followed by a dash and the exchange, e.g. "NYQP - DUT", or "NYQP -
            > DX", or whatever. It would ease matters if N1MM were to include these two
            > fields in the ADIF file.
            >
            > I am somewhat hesitant to open what might be a can of worms; I can think
            > of other fields that I or others might want to add as well, but I think my
            > suggestion should be sufficient for most users.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > - Bill, NG2D

          • radio_ng2d
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
              I participated in the NY QSO Party contest.

              And yes, the information is there in the ADIF file but the field names are not recognized by HRD. For example the exchange for Florida is

              <APP_N1MM_EXCHANGE1:2>FL

              I had to change it to

              <comment:9>NYQP - FL

              for HRD to pick it up.

              - Bill

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, John Bednar <k3ct@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > What contest? I'm sure that the ADIF export includes all exchange fields.
              >
              > John, K3CT
              >

              > On 10/30/12, radio_ng2d wrote:
              >
              > Being a new N1MM user, I would like to say how great it is. Not only is the application itself fantastic, the the Yahoo Group support, being so friendly and supportive, is outstanding as well. As a retired programmer myself, I know what it takes to write good code and the effort required to maintain it. Having said that, I have a wish. (I can't help myself).
              >
              > My wish has to do with transferring the log to other programs. I use Ham Radio Deluxe for my everyday logs, so when the contest was over I set about transferring the contest contacts to HRD. I exported the data to an ADIF file, but then I found the file was missing some important details. I had to edit the file to add them before importing it. In particular I added two fields, the state and a comment. It was no easy task but I got the job done with the help of a good editor. I filled in the state field only for United State and Canadian contacts. For the comment field I simply put the contest name followed by a dash and the exchange, e.g. "NYQP - DUT", or "NYQP - DX", or whatever. It would ease matters if N1MM were to include these two fields in the ADIF file.
              >
              > I am somewhat hesitant to open what might be a can of worms; I can think of other fields that I or others might want to add as well, but I think my suggestion should be sufficient for most users.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > - Bill, NG2D

            • rich_ve3ki
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
                Putting state information in a COMMENT field is non-standard ADIF. Few logging programs are 100% ADIF-compliant for every single piece of information they import or export, and it is impossible for an exporting program to anticipate all of the possible variations that might be encountered. It is not unusual to have to do some editing, but the details of that editing may vary depending on which program you want to import the information into.

                According to the ADIF spec, the other station's state, when it is known, should be labelled with STATE. N1MM Logger does export the STATE field in contests like NAQP where the state is a standard part of the exchange. In a contest like CQWW the Logger does not know what the other station's state is, so it cannot export it. In a contest like the NYQP, where the received exchange may be any one of several things (e.g. a state or a county abbreviation or DX), the Logger exports the received exchange in APP_N1MM_EXCHANGE1.

                What I would do in this specific case is edit <APP_N1MM_EXCHANGE1:2>DX to nothing, since this particular exchange carries no actual information; then edit <APP_N1MM_EXCHANGE1:2> to <STATE:2> to convert the remaining state and province codes to the correct ADIF field; and finally use AD1C's ADIF County Conversion program to deal with the remainder (which will presumably be NY counties). I am assuming here that HRD accepts the ADIF standard STATE and CNTY fields; if not, you may have to adopt a different editing strategy.

                73,
                Rich VE3KI

                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "radio_ng2d" <bills_eyepiece@...> wrote:

                > I participated in the NY QSO Party contest.
                >
                > And yes, the information is there in the ADIF file but the field names are not recognized by HRD. For example the exchange for Florida is
                >
                > <APP_N1MM_EXCHANGE1:2>FL
                >
                > I had to change it to
                >
                > <comment:9>NYQP - FL
                >
                > for HRD to pick it up.
                >
                > - Bill
                >
                > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, John Bednar <k3ct@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Bill,
                > >
                > > What contest? I'm sure that the ADIF export includes all exchange fields.
                > >
                > > John, K3CT
                > >

                > > On 10/30/12, radio_ng2d wrote:
                > >
                > > Being a new N1MM user, I would like to say how great it is. Not only is the application itself fantastic, the the Yahoo Group support, being so friendly and supportive, is outstanding as well. As a retired programmer myself, I know what it takes to write good code and the effort required to maintain it. Having said that, I have a wish. (I can't help myself).
                > >
                > > My wish has to do with transferring the log to other programs. I use Ham Radio Deluxe for my everyday logs, so when the contest was over I set about transferring the contest contacts to HRD. I exported the data to an ADIF file, but then I found the file was missing some important details. I had to edit the file to add them before importing it. In particular I added two fields, the state and a comment. It was no easy task but I got the job done with the help of a good editor. I filled in the state field only for United State and Canadian contacts. For the comment field I simply put the contest name followed by a dash and the exchange, e.g. "NYQP - DUT", or "NYQP - DX", or whatever. It would ease matters if N1MM were to include these two fields in the ADIF file.
                > >
                > > I am somewhat hesitant to open what might be a can of worms; I can think of other fields that I or others might want to add as well, but I think my suggestion should be sufficient for most users.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > - Bill, NG2D

              • Terry G. Glagowski
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 31, 2012
                  Bill,

                  I understand your problem and I have created an MS ACCESS VBA application
                  that will do that.

                  It's a work in progress and will interoperate between N1MM, HRD5, and DXLAB,
                  with some special functions for MARS, and will print QSLs.

                  It's not exactly a shrink wrap software product but if I can be of help let
                  me know.

                  73, Terry / W1TR

                  Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR
                  HAM: W1TR / USAF MARS: AFA1DI
                  25 Hnath Road, Ashford, CT 06278
                  (508) 864-0041 (Terry's cell)
                  (860) 429-9444 (Landline)
                  (EMail) W1TR@... or W1TR@...
                  (Web) http://www.Glagowski.org/Radio

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2012
                    I want to thank all youse guys (I was born in Brooklyn) who responded very much.

                    Having been a first time N1MM user and this being my first contest, I didn't realize just how many exchange formats were used by different contests and how difficult it would be to accomodate all of them. As I said in my original post, I did manage to edit the file, but it took quite a bit of work to make it the way I wanted it. I was thinking my wish would be simple to add.

                    No such luck.

                    Well thank's again for the suggestions and help.

                    Take care,
                    - Bill

                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "radio_ng2d" <bills_eyepiece@...> wrote:

                    > Being a new N1MM user, I would like to say how great it is. Not only is the application itself fantastic, the the Yahoo Group support, being so friendly and supportive, is outstanding as well. As a retired programmer myself, I know what it takes to write good code and the effort required to maintain it. Having said that, I have a wish. (I can't help myself).
                    >
                    > My wish has to do with transferring the log to other programs. I use Ham Radio Deluxe for my everyday logs, so when the contest was over I set about transferring the contest contacts to HRD. I exported the data to an ADIF file, but then I found the file was missing some important details. I had to edit the file to add them before importing it. In particular I added two fields, the state and a comment. It was no easy task but I got the job done with the help of a good editor. I filled in the state field only for United State and Canadian contacts. For the comment field I simply put the contest name followed by a dash and the exchange, e.g. "NYQP - DUT", or "NYQP - DX", or whatever. It would ease matters if N1MM were to include these two fields in the ADIF file.
                    >
                    > I am somewhat hesitant to open what might be a can of worms; I can think of other fields that I or others might want to add as well, but I think my suggestion should be sufficient for most users.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > - Bill, NG2D

                  • Terry G. Glagowski
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2012
                      Bill,

                      The N1MM logger uses Microsoft ACCESS as the underlying database.

                      If you have a Microsoft Office version that includes ACCESS, you can export
                      the tables inside the database into CSV text files, or EXCEL files and work
                      with them there.

                      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                      "radio_ng2d" <bills_eyepiece@...> wrote:

                      > Being a new N1MM user, I would like to say how great it is. Not only is
                      the application itself fantastic, the the Yahoo Group support, being so
                      friendly and supportive, is outstanding as well. As a retired programmer
                      myself, I know what it takes to write good code and the effort required to
                      maintain it. Having said that, I have a wish. (I can't help myself).

                      > My wish has to do with transferring the log to other programs. I use Ham
                      Radio Deluxe for my everyday logs, so when the contest was over I set about
                      transferring the contest contacts to HRD. I exported the data to an ADIF
                      file, but then I found the file was missing some important details. I had to
                      edit the file to add them before importing it. In particular I added two
                      fields, the state and a comment. It was no easy task but I got the job done
                      with the help of a good editor. I filled in the state field only for United
                      State and Canadian contacts. For the comment field I simply put the contest
                      name followed by a dash and the exchange, e.g. "NYQP - DUT", or "NYQP - DX",
                      or whatever. It would ease matters if N1MM were to include these two fields
                      in the ADIF file.

                      > I am somewhat hesitant to open what might be a can of worms; I can think
                      of other fields that I or others might want to add as well, but I think my
                      suggestion should be sufficient for most users.

                      > Thanks,
                      > - Bill, NG2D

                    • Pete Smith N4ZR
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2012
                        But please, if you do that, back up the database file first. There are
                        fairly complicated cross connections between various tables in the
                        database, and if you start doing open-heart surgery and don't have a
                        backup we really can't be responsible. Also, one database can contain
                        the QSOs from many different contests, so mistakes can have fairly
                        disastrous consequences unless you have made a backup so you have a do-over.

                        arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

                      • radio_ng2d
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2012
                          I don't have MS Access available on my computer and if I did it is unlikely I would attempt to mess with the database. I'm retired, I put databases behind me. It could be fun though. Hey don't get me started, I'd rather be operating!

                          A good editor is all I really need to make the changes to the ADIF file. I use EditPlus, a powerful text editor. It blows away notepad, but that really doesn't take more than a puff.

                          I must add how much I appreciate the friendly and helpful advice offered by the N1MM community, which is in stark contrast to the uncivilized treatment I received by the support group for another product. Youse guys are really awesome!

                          Thanks again,
                          - Bill

                          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...> wrote:

                          > But please, if you do that, back up the database file first. There are
                          > fairly complicated cross connections between various tables in the
                          > database, and if you start doing open-heart surgery and don't have a
                          > backup we really can't be responsible. Also, one database can contain
                          > the QSOs from many different contests, so mistakes can have fairly
                          > disastrous consequences unless you have made a backup so you have a do-over.
                          >
                          > 73, Pete N4ZR
                          > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                          > spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 and
                          > arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                          >
                          > On 10/31/2012 8:04 PM, Terry G. Glagowski wrote:
                          > > Bill,
                          > >
                          > > The N1MM logger uses Microsoft ACCESS as the underlying database.
                          > >
                          > > If you have a Microsoft Office version that includes ACCESS, you can export
                          > > the tables inside the database into CSV text files, or EXCEL files and work
                          > > with them there.
                          > >

                          > > Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR
                          > > HAM: W1TR / USAF MARS: AFA1DI
                          > > 25 Hnath Road, Ashford, CT 06278
                          > > (508) 864-0041 (Terry's cell)
                          > > (860) 429-9444 (Landline)
                          > > (EMail) W1TR@... or W1TR@...
                          > > (Web) http://www.Glagowski.org/Radio

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2012
                            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "radio_ng2d" <bills_eyepiece@...> wrote:

                            < regarding the need to edit ADIF output from N1MM to add e.g. state and other information >

                            > Thanks,
                            > - Bill, NG2D

                            I use DXKeeper from the DXLab Suites for my general logger. DXK has an option that allows a QRZ lookup (as long as you have a subscription to QRZ) that fills in details such as address, state, grid square, and the like as you are importing the ADIF output from N1MM.

                            Perhaps HRD has a similar facility?

                            73,
                            John KK1X
                          • radio_ng2d
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 2, 2012
                              John,

                              That's a good question. I don't see any reference to it in the program, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. It would be nice if it does. I don't have a subscritpion to QRZ.com, although I have been meaning to get one. Perhaps someone else knows the answer.

                              - Bill