Off-line manual

  • Jim Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2012
      I want to be able to refer to the manual on my computer without
      involving the internet. I used Tools > Download latest Logger pdf
      manual and the 7.3 MB N1MMLogger.pdf duly showed up in my N1MM folder.

      When I do Help > N1MM Logger Manual (User Installed etc) the manual
      shows up in my Foxit pdf reader.

      When I click on, say, 1 Getting Started the document tries connecting to
      the Internet. If I set the browser to off-line I don't get Getting
      Started, I get an error message about being off-line.

      I seem to remember that one used to have to tell N1MM that the manual
      was there but I can't remember how or find anything in the documentation
      to tell me how.

      What am I doing wrong?

      73, Jim VE7FO
    • k7evi
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2012
        I am not using the same PDF reader, but on mine, in the left sidebar I can select the icon that shows the hot-links - inside the offline document. Those do jump to the correct areas. As you noticed, the ones in the PDF do try to go online.

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Jim Smith <jimsmith@...> wrote:

        > I want to be able to refer to the manual on my computer without
        > involving the internet. I used Tools > Download latest Logger pdf
        > manual and the 7.3 MB N1MMLogger.pdf duly showed up in my N1MM folder.
        >
        > When I do Help > N1MM Logger Manual (User Installed etc) the manual
        > shows up in my Foxit pdf reader.
        >
        > When I click on, say, 1 Getting Started the document tries connecting to
        > the Internet. If I set the browser to off-line I don't get Getting
        > Started, I get an error message about being off-line.
        >
        > I seem to remember that one used to have to tell N1MM that the manual
        > was there but I can't remember how or find anything in the documentation
        > to tell me how.
        >
        > What am I doing wrong?
        >
        > 73, Jim VE7FO

      • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
          Jim,

          You're not doing anything wrong.

          Links within the document are URLs that point to pages on the website, and
          there is no method by which we can automatically change those links
          (thousands of them) from an external link to an internal anchor when we
          render the PDF files. This issue has been with us forever... nothing new.

          However, relatively new (last couple of years) is an explorer-like
          navigation panel on the left-side of the display that you can expand to help
          with navigation through the off-line documentation. I am unfamiliar with the
          Foxit PDF reader, but it works in Adobe's Acrobat.

          Other than that, you must resort to >Find in your reader to locate specific
          passages.

          ( If you're feeling adventurous, it might be possible to use the website's
          >Documents >Print Current Documentation, >Save As a large disk-based HTML
          file, then global Search&Replace to change all URLs to C:\FOO file
          references. Lemme know if you manage to get it working )

          -larry (K8UT)