Setting up for K3 for SO2V

  • patal7l
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
      Has anyone put together a DIY for setting up a K3 to operate N1MM's SO2V capability in a RTTY contest? When it got real slow late at night during CQ WW RTTY, I started fooling around with trying that and I couldn't figure it out.

      Perhaps trying it when I haven't been up for most of two days will help, but I couldn't really find anything in the help files that would lead me through all the settings I'd have to make.

      Most of what I did find searching between the occasional comebacks on 40 talked about running SO2V with the second receiver option in the K3. My budget hasn't allowed that luxury yet, so I'll be trying this with only one receiver installed.

      TNX es 73 de AL7L
    • rich_ve3ki
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
        First, and just to get this out of the way in case there are readers of this message who are not very familiar with the terminology, SO2V means using two VFOs on one radio, whereas SO2R means using two radios. SO2V is not at all the same as SO2R. In SO2R, you can be receiving on one radio on one band At the exact same time the other radio is transmitting on a different band.

        The main advantage of SO2R over traditional one-radio one-VFO operation (SO1V) is that you can be listening in one QSO while you are transmitting in a different QSO. Ideally, you could be doing two QSOs at once on different bands even though you never have more than one transmitted signal at a time, interleaving between the two and doubling your overall speed (at least when things are going very well). This is simply not possible with only one radio, even if it has two receivers.

        In SO2V, you are deaf whenever you are transmitting, so the key advantage of SO2V over SO1V is to be able to receive two signals in parallel. You don't conduct two QSOs at once, but you can at least determine whether there is someone worth working on either of two frequencies at once. That would seem to require two receivers, not just two VFOs.

        I am by no means all that proficient, but the main way I use SO2V is CQing on one frequency while S&Ping elsewhere in the same band. Again, more to get this out of the way than to describe SO2V, note that if it's a good run, people are coming back to you right away and you don't have time for SO2V. In fact, what you may need is LOGTHENPOP or LOGTHENGRAB to cope with multiple callers, and when you are doing this you don't need the distraction of a second receiver. Instead, you would leave the second receiver turned off while things are going this well.

        However, if things slow down, as they often do late at night or late in the contest, then while you are CQing on VFO A and find you have to send CQ several times before anyone shows up calling you back, you can turn your second receiver on and start using it to S&P up and down the band while you keep on CQing.

        After your transmitter stops at the end of the CQ message, in SO2V you have two receivers both active. One is on your transmit frequency, listening for someone calling you back. The other one is somewhere else on the band, looking for a station CQing that you can call.

        Suppose: (1) no-one answers your CQ (your first duty is always to answer someone who answers your CQ); and (2) you find someone on VFO B that you haven't worked yet, and they are calling CQ or just about at the end of a QSO. In that case, what you can do is switch to the VFO B entry window (with the mouse if you are mousing, e.g. in RTTY, or with the \ key if you are keyboarding) and have (or try to have) a QSO on the VFO B frequency. Once that QSO is completed (or as soon as the other guy comes back to someone else instead of you), you switch back to VFO A, hope that someone hasn't taken over your run frequency while you were away, and send a CQ again to repeat the whole process.

        You will probably want to turn autoCQ off while you are doing this. If you leave autoCQ on, invariably the transmitter fires up at exactly the wrong time, just before the other station sends his call sign, or when his QSO is ending and it's time to drop in your call sign on the VFO B frequency.

        You can also use SO2V to S&P with two receivers at once. Tune one up the band and the other down the band at the same time, and simply decide which one to use based on which one is where you hear a new station to work first. You can use the \ key to jump back and forth between the two entry windows.

        SO2V is more productive if you are in the Assisted class. You can use spots from the cluster or RBN to guide where you tune with VFO B, instead of just tuning up and down the band. This increases the odds of finding someone to work on VFO B versus just randomly tuning and screening out the ones you have previously worked.

        You can also use the cluster this way in SO1V with only one receiver, but with a significant disadvantage. Once you tune away from your run frequency after listening for someone calling you back, you then often have to wait some more listening on the second frequency until the caller is at the right point for you to call him. With two receivers, you can time your CQs on VFO A so that you don't have to waste time listening first on VFO A and then on VFO B; you can listen to both at the same time and line up the times so you either respond to a caller on VFO A if one is there, or else send your call to a CQer on VFO B.

        To set up for SO2V with a dual-receiver radio, you select the SO2V button in the Configurer, and in the Config menu you check the "Dual Rx always on" menu item. In RTTY, you can set up the two DI windows with two separate interfaces listening on different channels of the sound card. In CW/SSB, you will probably want to learn how to use the ` and Ctrl+Alt+D keys (see the documentation on Supported Radios for the K3).

        I don't know if this helps or not, and I am probably missing some important things, but this is how I use SO2V with my dual-receiver K3.

        73,
        Rich VE3KI

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "patal7l" <pmoore44@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone put together a DIY for setting up a K3 to operate N1MM's SO2V capability in a RTTY contest? When it got real slow late at night during CQ WW RTTY, I started fooling around with trying that and I couldn't figure it out.
        >
        > Perhaps trying it when I haven't been up for most of two days will help, but I couldn't really find anything in the help files that would lead me through all the settings I'd have to make.
        >
        > Most of what I did find searching between the occasional comebacks on 40 talked about running SO2V with the second receiver option in the K3. My budget hasn't allowed that luxury yet, so I'll be trying this with only one receiver installed.
        >
        > TNX es 73 de AL7L

      • John Bednar
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
          A single receiver K3 can only be used in SO1V or SO2R mode.