Problem with install on Win7 computer

  • phil_n6omm
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2012
      Hello all,
      I am new to this forum, I am N6OMM, Phil_in_CA.

      I installed the latest base software for N1MM Logger on my Win7 computer, then installed the latest update on top of the base. All seemed to go ok with no errors, but when I try to run the program I get a dialog box that says,

      "Would you like to send an error report?"

      Also, the title of the dialog is, "EntryWindow (Program_Initialize) - 2000 - Application-defined or object-define..."

      If I click on OK, I get, "Can't find default for emailAddress"
      in a dialog box titled, "Element missing in INI file.

      If I click OK, I get, "Please enter your email address:"
      in a dialog box titled, "Email Problem Report"

      If I click Cancel, I get, "Run-time error '91':
      Object variable or With block variable not set"
      in a "!" dialog box titled, "N1MM Logger"

      When I click OK, the program quits.....

      I have tried twice, once with just programs closed and once with "startup items" shut down (via msconfig). No help.

      Any suggestions, comments, flames? I did search the archives, but nothing came up that made any sense to what I am experiencing.

      I am preparing for the CQP this coming weekend...

      73s,
      Phil
    • John Bednar
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
        Phil,

        Your virus software could be damaging the download or preventing the install
        to complete correctly.
        Investigate and resolve if necessary.

        If you have RealTek audio, make sure that RealRek Digital Audio (Optical) is
        not the Windows Default sound device.

        Follow these steps:
        Rename the \N1MM Logger directory if it exists.
        Download the Base Install to your disk.
        If you did not download and store the Base Installer file on your hard disk,
        go backwards one step.
        Run the Base Installer from your hard disk, install into the installer's
        default directory (\N1MM Logger).
        Reboot.
        Download the latest update to your disk.
        If you did not download and store the Base Installer file on your hard disk,
        go backwards one step.
        Run the latest update from your hard disk.
        Start the program for the first time and answer the Station Information
        questions.
        Does the program start and did the Station Information window appear on
        first startup?

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
          Phil

          I'm the farthest from an EX-pert you will find, I've read that the first thing with Win 7 is to NOT use c:\Program files to install, just install in C:\ , this seems to be one of the major problems.

          Good Luck and Enjoy the Software.
          Works good when Fat fingers are careful and

          It has a Money back guarentee.

          Rex K7QQ

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
            Thanks, John.

            I reinstalled to "C:/N1MM Logger" and everything seems to be fine.

            This is not optimal for me because I am using an SSD that is only 120GB
            for my C: drive with Windows, only, there. I suspect that over time the
            N1MM Logger folder will become large enough to cause me to rethink this
            installation. It will work for the CA QSO Party this weekend, however.

            I would rather install it to another drive that is a "spinner" rather
            than the SSD. Recommendations on how best to do that, given that my
            earlier attempts to install to a drive other than "C:/" failed?

            Thanks,
            Phil
          • N1MM
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
              I have a db from a multi op station that is 65 megabytes. It has
              288,000 QSOs in it.

              Size is not a reason to move it from the SSD. It is not going to eat up
              your drive.

              There is no reason why one cannot load the program on a drive other than
              C. The advice we give is to not load it into your program files
              directory. I have it loaded on D on my laptop.

              You have it working now. There is no critical need to change it
              immediately.

              73,
              Tom N1MM

              On 10/1/2012 12:57 PM, Phillip Potter wrote:
              > Thanks, John.
              >
              > I reinstalled to "C:/N1MM Logger" and everything seems to be fine.
              >
              > This is not optimal for me because I am using an SSD that is only 120GB
              > for my C: drive with Windows, only, there. I suspect that over time the
              > N1MM Logger folder will become large enough to cause me to rethink this
              > installation. It will work for the CA QSO Party this weekend, however.
              >
              > I would rather install it to another drive that is a "spinner" rather
              > than the SSD. Recommendations on how best to do that, given that my
              > earlier attempts to install to a drive other than "C:/" failed?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Phil

            • Phillip Potter
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
                Thanks, Tom. I will leave it as is for now and experiment moving it
                later, probably when I connect it to my rig.

                Phil
                N6OMM
              • Greg DeChant (W8GCD)
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
                  Hi Phil!

                  If you using a desktop or laptop computer you can always add a USB Hard
                  Drive to your computer, move your log files or anything else you want to
                  store there, to that drive and reset the default log file location in your
                  N1MM program to that location.

                  73,

                  de Greg, W8GCD ar

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2012
                    Hi Phil.
                    I have no experience with SSD and may be I am writing too much ...

                    But I have some experience in traveling installations. I mean that I prepare any installation for any RTTY contest that we will do at ours clubstation here at home. Then I simply copy the whole subdirectory of that time on any computer I would use there.
                    That's, just having care to make common installation paths.
                    I made my installation at home like:
                    c:\radio\iw1ayd
                    I copy the whole package from there, ~\iw1ayd over any computer in c:\radio and it work. Rebuilding the whole path I have had at home c:\radio\iw1ayd.
                    Before you must install the N1MM software in any PC you need to run with. The path could be whatever you like. Than you will run it on the right patch, as in my case c:\radio\iw1ayd.

                    In your case, if you don't feel comfortable with the SSD drive ... hope that yours OS copy have all the provisions made for it ... you could install it on a different drive, having care to replicate the same drive letter on each other PC where you will use it.

                    For example. Having C: as you main drive in two computers and D: as a secondary USB drive for both you could fresh install N1MM on D:\radio\urcall and make all the personalization you need. Then move the same USB driver to use it on the SSD furnished PC. Just having care that the place from where you run N1MM is the same of the installation of that package.
                    By this you could move yours USB disk in between two computer or more launching anyway at anytime the same N1MM installed copy. Exactly as I do when I copy the same dir on different PC.

                    All the files you and N1MM will made will reside well inside that path from where you launched it. Then it will be yours care to move older files elsewhere, to store or delete it. By example again. We run several RTTY contest. With somewhat different radios and somewhat different things like the MMTTY logs for each contest run.
                    First of all you have to put MMTTY subdiretory inside a DISK:\radio\iw1ayd\mmtty-0. Like the MMTTY could seem a part of N1MM. This will run the N1MM copy if the MMTTY engine together inside the N1MM installation directory container, moving it as you move the main N1MM directory
                    Then you should have one or more subdirectories for the macro sets, one for the input window and the other for the DI window.
                    Also a subdirectory for the DBs will help a lot.
                    With this minimal set of subdirectory you will be able, by the artist intentions - myself -, to clean up each files that is not anymore needed for the next contest and to put in waht will be the running copy newest files.
                    In that case, two PC that share a single N1MM installation trough a USB disk, you could even run the same N1MM copy on the two for setup and post contest purposes, i.e. statics. Just have care of the differences of the screens resolution. Use the lowest of the two.

                    That's just my example, have a look at iw1ayd.blogspot.com for a pictorial example of the whole subdirectories set.

                    I don't know if you will feel more comfortable with those ideas, my guess is that having such as construction it could be more easy to clean up unwanted files for the live copy of N1MM. But nothing come from nothing. Each time you search a file, .mc, .txt or whatever you have to drive N1MM to get it in the proper subdirectory as it know nothing of yours file organization. It would look for a plain unique place where to get file. But this, IMHO, would make much more complicated to clean up - moving to other store points - unneeded files. Even worse if you do something of wrong you must repair this single installation you have.

                    BTW here a simple installation of N1MM for RTTY worked on drive D:
                    Take care as sometimes USB activities may screw up access times to data, no particular experience with this and N1MM here. But general cases of double access to USB drives tell this.

                    73 de iw1ayd Salvo