New Function key editor experimental version available

  • N1MM
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2012
      Ver D is available. Getting pretty stable. Worth a try. Be careful to
      read the message if you import.

      Has import, context-sensitive color, replacement for set SSB wav file
      function that was missing.

      Download from:
      http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20

      Screenshot:
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png

      73,
      Tom

    • Robert Chudek - K0RC
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 29, 2012
        I haven't had the chance to thoroughly test the new feature, but this
        new Function Key Macro Edit feature looks AWESOME!

        I believe the color coding of the RUN vs. S&P statements will help
        reduce the confusion for new users.

        Also (personally) having the IMPORT and EXPORT buttons on the window
        will be much more efficient when I am preparing Function Key Files for
        other users. For me, there was an obscure problem that has been
        eliminated with this new method.

        (There were times I was navigating the menu to export a modified MC file
        and the "pointer focus" would be grabbed and I ended up clicking on one
        of the 10 previous contests that were exposed by the FILE menu dialog.
        So not only the file wasn't saved, a different contest was loaded too!)

        My thanks goes out to all the N1MM Logger programming team for their
        continued push to improve the software!

        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        On 6/29/2012 10:02 AM, N1MM wrote:

        > Ver D is available. Getting pretty stable. Worth a try. Be careful to
        > read the message if you import.
        >
        > Has import, context-sensitive color, replacement for set SSB wav file
        > function that was missing.
        >
        > Download from:
        > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
        >
        > Screenshot:
        > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png
        >
        > 73,
        > Tom

      • Ken K3IU
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 29, 2012
          Looks good, Tom.

          Only issue I see is that when the one right clicks on the
          Function Key buttons to bring up the editor, the frame of
          the editor window shows and then all of the icons on the
          desktop flash off/on rapidly for 2-5 seconds before the
          editor screen stabilizes. This is on an XP Pro SP3 Dell
          machine. I downloaded the new version to my older laptop,
          Toshiba Satellite, same OS, and I see the same thing there
          but the video stabilized much quicker. So I don't think it
          is something specific to my main machine.

          Thanks...
          73,
          Ken Wagner K3iU
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          On 6/29/2012 11:02 AM, N1MM wrote:

          > Ver D is available. Getting pretty stable. Worth a try. Be
          > careful to
          > read the message if you import.
          >
          > Has import, context-sensitive color, replacement for set
          > SSB wav file
          > function that was missing.
          >
          > Download from:
          > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
          >
          > Screenshot:
          > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png
          >
          > 73,
          > Tom

        • N1MM
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
            I hope this version answers most of the objections to the new editor.
            It will still require users to understand a bit more about how function
            key files are handled than the old way.

            Old way:
            There were three sets of function keys (cw, ssb, digi) stored in
            each database (.mdb file).
            The editor allowed you to change those keys in the database directly.
            Import and export would move files from/to these sets.
            You had the option to set an associated file for each contest type
            for each mode (cw, ssb, digi). An associated file would be loaded when
            the contest was loaded.

            New way:
            Function key files are stored in .mc files.
            All contests now use associated files. Blank associated file names
            have been changed to CW/SSB/Digi Default Messages.mc
            Now when you edit function keys, you are editing the files, not the
            database. Once you save the file, the new definitions will be used by
            the program.
            *** Import serves a second function now. *** When you import a
            function key file, you are given the option to change the associated
            file that is loaded when that type of contest is loaded.

            Recommendation:
            Put your everyday function key definitions in CW/SSB/Digi Default
            Messages.mc
            Develop new definitions for contests like SS, Sprint, 'tests with
            no RST in the exchange, or any specialized requirements, and save them
            in named function key files. Then import them while logging in the
            appropriate contest and associate with that contest type.

            Note:
            When you create a new contest database (.mdb) it copies the
            associated files for each contest type to the new database, even though
            it strips out all the contacts and individual contest instances. The
            work you do to develop associations between contests and function keys
            is preserved.

            Typical use case:
            You are setting up for FD. Your default message file sends RST
            then {exch}.
            1. While in FD contest, open the editor while in cw and export the
            function keys to CW No RST.mc.
            2. Import CW No RST.mc and answer "Yes" to the prompt about
            changing the associated file.
            3. Remove the RST from the appropriate function keys.
            4. Save the function key file & exit.
            5. Test and begin contesting.
            6. If you operate another contest where the CW No RST.mc file
            would be appropriate, import No RST.mc while editing the CW keys for
            that contest. Answer "Yes" to the associated file prompt.

            73,
            Tom - N1MM

            On 6/29/2012 1:29 PM, Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
            > I haven't had the chance to thoroughly test the new feature, but this
            > new Function Key Macro Edit feature looks AWESOME!
            >
            > I believe the color coding of the RUN vs. S&P statements will help
            > reduce the confusion for new users.
            >
            > Also (personally) having the IMPORT and EXPORT buttons on the window
            > will be much more efficient when I am preparing Function Key Files for
            > other users. For me, there was an obscure problem that has been
            > eliminated with this new method.
            >
            > (There were times I was navigating the menu to export a modified MC file
            > and the "pointer focus" would be grabbed and I ended up clicking on one
            > of the 10 previous contests that were exposed by the FILE menu dialog.
            > So not only the file wasn't saved, a different contest was loaded too!)
            >
            > My thanks goes out to all the N1MM Logger programming team for their
            > continued push to improve the software!
            >
            > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

            > On 6/29/2012 10:02 AM, N1MM wrote:
            >> Ver D is available. Getting pretty stable. Worth a try. Be careful to
            >> read the message if you import.
            >>
            >> Has import, context-sensitive color, replacement for set SSB wav file
            >> function that was missing.
            >>
            >> Download from:
            >> http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
            >>
            >> Screenshot:
            >> http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png
            >>
            >> 73,
            >> Tom

          • Ken K3IU
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
              Further info... when I go back to 12.06.03, the editor
              window pops up with no dithering of the video.
              73, Ken K3IU
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              On 6/29/2012 4:47 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:

              > Looks good, Tom.
              >
              > Only issue I see is that when the one right clicks on the
              > Function Key buttons to bring up the editor, the frame of
              > the editor window shows and then all of the icons on the
              > desktop flash off/on rapidly for 2-5 seconds before the
              > editor screen stabilizes. This is on an XP Pro SP3 Dell
              > machine. I downloaded the new version to my older laptop,
              > Toshiba Satellite, same OS, and I see the same thing there
              > but the video stabilized much quicker. So I don't think it
              > is something specific to my main machine.
              >
              > Thanks...
              > 73,
              > Ken Wagner K3iU
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              >
              > On 6/29/2012 11:02 AM, N1MM wrote:
              > >
              > > Ver D is available. Getting pretty stable. Worth a try. Be
              > > careful to
              > > read the message if you import.
              > >
              > > Has import, context-sensitive color, replacement for set
              > > SSB wav file
              > > function that was missing.
              > >
              > > Download from:
              > >
              > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
              > >
              > > Screenshot:
              > >
              > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png
              > >
              > > 73,
              > > Tom

            • Pete Smith N4ZR
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
                It may be OS-specific, because on my Win 7 premium machine there is no
                dithering - just a small delay while the editor screen fills.

                73, Pete N4ZR
                The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
                arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

                On 6/30/2012 10:18 AM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                > Further info... when I go back to 12.06.03, the editor
                > window pops up with no dithering of the video.
                > 73, Ken K3IU
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > On 6/29/2012 4:47 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                >> Looks good, Tom.
                >>
                >> Only issue I see is that when the one right clicks on the
                >> Function Key buttons to bring up the editor, the frame of
                >> the editor window shows and then all of the icons on the
                >> desktop flash off/on rapidly for 2-5 seconds before the
                >> editor screen stabilizes. This is on an XP Pro SP3 Dell
                >> machine. I downloaded the new version to my older laptop,
                >> Toshiba Satellite, same OS, and I see the same thing there
                >> but the video stabilized much quicker. So I don't think it
                >> is something specific to my main machine.
                >>
                >> Thanks...
                >> 73,
                >> Ken Wagner K3iU
                >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                >>
                >> On 6/29/2012 11:02 AM, N1MM wrote:
                >>> Ver D is available. Getting pretty stable. Worth a try. Be
                >>> careful to
                >>> read the message if you import.
                >>>
                >>> Has import, context-sensitive color, replacement for set
                >>> SSB wav file
                >>> function that was missing.
                >>>
                >>> Download from:
                >>>
                >> http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
                >>> Screenshot:
                >>>
                >> http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png
                >>> 73,
                >>> Tom

              • Ken Wagner K3IU
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
                  I'll take my new laptop with Win7 x64 on
                  it down, load N1MM and give it a try...
                  unless I screw up the installation into
                  Win7 :-))
                  Ken K3iU
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  On 6/30/2012 10:41 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR
                  wrote:

                  > It may be OS-specific, because on my
                  > Win 7 premium machine there is no
                  > dithering - just a small delay while
                  > the editor screen fills.
                  >
                  > 73, Pete N4ZR
                  > The World Contest Station Database, at
                  > www.conteststations.com
                  > The Reverse Beacon Network at
                  > http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
                  > reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                  > spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net,
                  > port 7000 and
                  > arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                  >
                  > On 6/30/2012 10:18 AM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                  > > Further info... when I go back to
                  > 12.06.03, the editor
                  > > window pops up with no dithering of
                  > the video.
                  > > 73, Ken K3IU
                  > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  > > On 6/29/2012 4:47 PM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                  > >> Looks good, Tom.
                  > >>
                  > >> Only issue I see is that when the
                  > one right clicks on the
                  > >> Function Key buttons to bring up
                  > the editor, the frame of
                  > >> the editor window shows and then
                  > all of the icons on the
                  > >> desktop flash off/on rapidly for
                  > 2-5 seconds before the
                  > >> editor screen stabilizes. This is
                  > on an XP Pro SP3 Dell
                  > >> machine. I downloaded the new
                  > version to my older laptop,
                  > >> Toshiba Satellite, same OS, and I
                  > see the same thing there
                  > >> but the video stabilized much
                  > quicker. So I don't think it
                  > >> is something specific to my main
                  > machine.
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks...
                  > >> 73,
                  > >> Ken Wagner K3iU
                  > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  > stable. Worth a try. Be

                  > color, replacement for set

                  > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
                  > >>>

                  > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png

                  > have been removed]
                  > >>>

                  > >> [Non-text portions of this message
                  > have been removed]
                  > >>

                  > > [Non-text portions of this message
                  > have been removed]

                  > [Non-text portions of this message
                  > have been removed]

                • Ken Wagner K3IU
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
                    Running 12.6.4 on the laptop with Win7
                    Prem x64, 2.4 gig i5 processor and 8
                    gig memory, the editor window pops up in
                    the blink of an eye. No dithering of the
                    video.
                    73, Ken K3IU
                    On 6/30/2012 10:51 AM, Ken Wagner K3IU
                    wrote:

                    > I'll take my new laptop with Win7 x64 on
                    > it down, load N1MM and give it a try...
                    > unless I screw up the installation into
                    > Win7 :-))
                    > Ken K3iU
                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > On 6/30/2012 10:41 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It may be OS-specific, because on my
                    > > Win 7 premium machine there is no
                    > > dithering - just a small delay while
                    > > the editor screen fills.
                    > >
                    > > 73, Pete N4ZR
                    > > The World Contest Station Database, at
                    > > www.conteststations.com
                    > > The Reverse Beacon Network at
                    > > http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
                    > > reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                    > > spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net,
                    > > port 7000 and
                    > > arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                    > >
                    > > On 6/30/2012 10:18 AM, Ken K3IU wrote:
                    > > > Further info... when I go back to
                    > > 12.06.03, the editor
                    > > > window pops up with no dithering of
                    > > the video.
                    > > > 73, Ken K3IU
                    > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    > > one right clicks on the
                    > > the editor, the frame of
                    > > all of the icons on the
                    > > 2-5 seconds before the
                    > > on an XP Pro SP3 Dell
                    > > version to my older laptop,
                    > > see the same thing there
                    > > quicker. So I don't think it
                    > > machine.

                    > > stable. Worth a try. Be

                    > > color, replacement for set

                    > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
                    > > >>>

                    > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png

                    > > have been removed]

                    > > have been removed]
                    > > >>

                    > > > [Non-text portions of this message
                    > > have been removed]

                    > <mailto:N1MMLogger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > >
                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > > >

                    > > [Non-text portions of this message
                    > > have been removed]
                    > >

                    > [Non-text portions of this message
                    > have been removed]

                  • N1MM
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
                      I put version E out there with an attempt at a fix for the XP issue. I
                      don't have any XP machines, so I can't test. Other than some in-progress
                      fixes for FD, there is nothing else new in it, so if you don't have
                      icons dancing while the new editor window opens, don't bother to
                      download it.

                      See: http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20

                      I would appreciate a report yay or nay.

                      73,
                      Tom - N1MM

                    • Rex Maner
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
                        Tom

                        Running XP Pro, SP3 2.8 GHz, 1.93 GB Ram ,
                        NO issues with new Macro editor,( OF--t ) just has to learn all over again how to do them.

                        Quack

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
                          No change, Tom.
                          Icons still dancing until the editor window stabilizes with
                          12.6.4.
                          73,
                          Ken K3iU
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          On 6/30/2012 12:17 PM, N1MM wrote:

                          > I put version E out there with an attempt at a fix for the
                          > XP issue. I
                          > don't have any XP machines, so I can't test. Other than
                          > some in-progress
                          > fixes for FD, there is nothing else new in it, so if you
                          > don't have
                          > icons dancing while the new editor window opens, don't
                          > bother to
                          > download it.
                          >
                          > See:
                          > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
                          >
                          > I would appreciate a report yay or nay.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Tom - N1MM
                          >
                          > On 6/30/2012 11:22 AM, Ken Wagner K3IU wrote:
                          > > Running 12.6.4 on the laptop with Win7
                          > > Prem x64, 2.4 gig i5 processor and 8
                          > > gig memory, the editor window pops up in
                          > > the blink of an eye. No dithering of the
                          > > video.
                          > > 73, Ken K3IU
                          > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          > > On 6/30/2012 10:51 AM, Ken Wagner K3IU
                          > > wrote:
                          > >> I'll take my new laptop with Win7 x64 on
                          > >> it down, load N1MM and give it a try...
                          > >> unless I screw up the installation into
                          > >> Win7 :-))
                          > >> Ken K3iU
                          > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                          > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
                          > >>>>>>

                          > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sIrtT3x4RBcw78SbVFTsFlyUi3d2E2zO3DJ0Iv7TdXF4wCWHM_NG-JAEeYPu0pCwsWeDBca4rDL4b8VYWqeE/Function%20Key%20Editor.png

                          > >> [Non-text portions of this message
                          > >> have been removed]

                        • James Douglass
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 8, 2012
                            Used it this weekend on DL DX RTTY Contest. Worked flawlessly here.
                            Jim ACØE
                            Kansas
                            On 6/30/2012 7:49 AM, N1MM wrote:

> [...]
                            > > will be much more efficient when I am preparing Function Key Files for
                            > > other users. For me, there was an obscure problem that has been
                            > > eliminated with this new method.
                            > >
                            > > (There were times I was navigating the menu to export a modified MC file
                            > > and the "pointer focus" would be grabbed and I ended up clicking on one
                            > > of the 10 previous contests that were exposed by the FILE menu dialog.
                            > > So not only the file wasn't saved, a different contest was loaded too!)
                            > >
                            > > My thanks goes out to all the N1MM Logger programming team for their
                            > > continued push to improve the software!
                            > >
                            > > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                            > > On 6/29/2012 10:02 AM, N1MM wrote:
                            > >> Ver D is available. Getting pretty stable. Worth a try. Be careful to
                            > >> read the message if you import.
                            > >>
                            > >> Has import, context-sensitive color, replacement for set SSB wav file

                          • pfizenmayer
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 2, 2012
                              Tom - For some reason when I tried to update to 12.7.5 - I kept getting an
                              error message it could not find the full installer file - so I downloaded
                              the new version and put it in the N1MM folder and then it installed OK .

                              BUT I get the dancing ICONS -- Dell Laptop Latitude E5510 WXPPRO3 Intel i3
                              2.26g 3g ram.

                              I assume the file referenced below is part of 12.7.5 ? If not I will try it
                              .

                              Hank K7HP

                              >I put version E out there with an attempt at a fix for the XP issue. I
                              > don't have any XP machines, so I can't test. Other than some in-progress
                              > fixes for FD, there is nothing else new in it, so if you don't have
                              > icons dancing while the new editor window opens, don't bother to
                              > download it.
                              >
                              > See: http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=20
                              >
                              > I would appreciate a report yay or nay.
                              >
                              > 73,
                              > Tom - N1MM

                            • Pete Smith N4ZR
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                                Hank, that fix didn't work so it was never implemented. No current
                                plans to pursue this further since it is so minor.

                                73, Pete N4ZR
                                The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com