Re: [N1MM] Re: Windows 7 Update for FTDI Chip

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2012
      FTDI have had a serious problem with sleep mode since the CDM 2600
      drivers were released. It's not a good idea to update their drivers
      from any source until *all* of the problems have been resolved.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 5/4/2012 11:31 AM, Bert - W0RSB wrote:
      > I learned a long time ago to NEVER take Microsoft "updates" for hardware drivers, and to only take them from the device manufacturer or vendor. Even then, I'm reluctant to take those unless they fix a problem I'm actually experiencing.
      >
      > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "n4bp1"<n4bp@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Yesterday I allowed Win7 (64 bit) to do the optional update it offered for the FTDI chip. Big mistake! Although my WinKeyer USB would still send from the function keys, it took several seconds to drop back to receive and then put up a message in N1MM, "WinKey not recognized". After messing around trying to reinstall the old driver, I finally did a system restore to change back to the old driver, problem solved.

    • Barry Merrill, W5GN
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2012
        That you experienced problems on both SEVEN and XP proves neither is at
        fault, and suggests strongly that you either have a serious
        motherboard-level hardware fault,
        or that you have some ancient and external hardware, which can cause driver
        issues that
        can inhibit startup when vendors of old hardware don't provide updated
        drivers,
        or perhaps, and most likely, is that you have an RFI problem.
        RFI can actually modify bits in real memory chips when you transmit, and,
        then, when
        that piece of memory is stored, when you log that contact or close that
        program, etc.,
        then very strange things can happen when you restart or reboot or reopen a
        program.

        I develop commercial software on multiple PCs with multiple levels of
        Windows,
        and have never had anything close to your negative experience with automatic
        updates for all Windows operating systems, on systems with commercial
        hardware
        (mainframe tape drives) and on systems with ham radio hardware (all now
        connected
        via USB or Ethernet or wireless, but COM1 and LPT1 were used in their
        heyday).

        73

        Barry, W5GN

        Herbert W. Barry Merrill, PhD