RE: [N1MM] Windows 7 Update for FTDI Chip

  • Karl Oyster
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2012
      I have had problems with nearly every Window update since I started using
      Windows 7. I have, on numerous occasions, had to do a system restore to get
      rid of them.

      Clearly, there is a problem somewhere in the system that this is routinely
      the case. I made the decision, rightly or wrongly, to avoid updates like
      the plague, by totally stopping ANY Microsoft up or any other 'automatic
      update' to my software. I've had no problems with the computer whatever for
      about 6-8 months. Then, somehow, about a month ago, another update loaded
      itself and it created so many problems that I had to reformat the hard drive
      and start from scratch. I also have had this problem with updates on
      Windows XP. I'm not a computer tech in even the most elementary way, but I
      do learn from experience.

      Your mileage may vary if you choose my route, so I'm not even recommending
      it, simply commenting on what works for me.

      73,

      Karl, K1KO

      Virginia Beach, VA

      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2012
        I learned a long time ago to NEVER take Microsoft "updates" for hardware drivers, and to only take them from the device manufacturer or vendor. Even then, I'm reluctant to take those unless they fix a problem I'm actually experiencing.

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "n4bp1" <n4bp@...> wrote:

        > Yesterday I allowed Win7 (64 bit) to do the optional update it offered for the FTDI chip. Big mistake! Although my WinKeyer USB would still send from the function keys, it took several seconds to drop back to receive and then put up a message in N1MM, "WinKey not recognized". After messing around trying to reinstall the old driver, I finally did a system restore to change back to the old driver, problem solved.

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2012
          FTDI have had a serious problem with sleep mode since the CDM 2600
          drivers were released. It's not a good idea to update their drivers
          from any source until *all* of the problems have been resolved.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 5/4/2012 11:31 AM, Bert - W0RSB wrote:
          > I learned a long time ago to NEVER take Microsoft "updates" for hardware drivers, and to only take them from the device manufacturer or vendor. Even then, I'm reluctant to take those unless they fix a problem I'm actually experiencing.
          >
          > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "n4bp1"<n4bp@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Yesterday I allowed Win7 (64 bit) to do the optional update it offered for the FTDI chip. Big mistake! Although my WinKeyer USB would still send from the function keys, it took several seconds to drop back to receive and then put up a message in N1MM, "WinKey not recognized". After messing around trying to reinstall the old driver, I finally did a system restore to change back to the old driver, problem solved.

        • Barry Merrill, W5GN
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2012
            That you experienced problems on both SEVEN and XP proves neither is at
            fault, and suggests strongly that you either have a serious
            motherboard-level hardware fault,
            or that you have some ancient and external hardware, which can cause driver
            issues that
            can inhibit startup when vendors of old hardware don't provide updated
            drivers,
            or perhaps, and most likely, is that you have an RFI problem.
            RFI can actually modify bits in real memory chips when you transmit, and,
            then, when
            that piece of memory is stored, when you log that contact or close that
            program, etc.,
            then very strange things can happen when you restart or reboot or reopen a
            program.

            I develop commercial software on multiple PCs with multiple levels of
            Windows,
            and have never had anything close to your negative experience with automatic
            updates for all Windows operating systems, on systems with commercial
            hardware
            (mainframe tape drives) and on systems with ham radio hardware (all now
            connected
            via USB or Ethernet or wireless, but COM1 and LPT1 were used in their
            heyday).

            73

            Barry, W5GN

            Herbert W. Barry Merrill, PhD