Re: [N1MM] Windows 7 Update for FTDI Chip

  • N1MM
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2012
      Works fine here.

      73,
      Tom - N1MM

      On 5/4/2012 8:34 AM, n4bp1 wrote:
      > Yesterday I allowed Win7 (64 bit) to do the optional update it offered for the FTDI chip. Big mistake! Although my WinKeyer USB would still send from the function keys, it took several seconds to drop back to receive and then put up a message in N1MM, "WinKey not recognized". After messing around trying to reinstall the old driver, I finally did a system restore to change back to the old driver, problem solved.

    • Karl Oyster
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2012
        I have had problems with nearly every Window update since I started using
        Windows 7. I have, on numerous occasions, had to do a system restore to get
        rid of them.

        Clearly, there is a problem somewhere in the system that this is routinely
        the case. I made the decision, rightly or wrongly, to avoid updates like
        the plague, by totally stopping ANY Microsoft up or any other 'automatic
        update' to my software. I've had no problems with the computer whatever for
        about 6-8 months. Then, somehow, about a month ago, another update loaded
        itself and it created so many problems that I had to reformat the hard drive
        and start from scratch. I also have had this problem with updates on
        Windows XP. I'm not a computer tech in even the most elementary way, but I
        do learn from experience.

        Your mileage may vary if you choose my route, so I'm not even recommending
        it, simply commenting on what works for me.

        73,

        Karl, K1KO

        Virginia Beach, VA

        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2012
          I learned a long time ago to NEVER take Microsoft "updates" for hardware drivers, and to only take them from the device manufacturer or vendor. Even then, I'm reluctant to take those unless they fix a problem I'm actually experiencing.

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "n4bp1" <n4bp@...> wrote:

          > Yesterday I allowed Win7 (64 bit) to do the optional update it offered for the FTDI chip. Big mistake! Although my WinKeyer USB would still send from the function keys, it took several seconds to drop back to receive and then put up a message in N1MM, "WinKey not recognized". After messing around trying to reinstall the old driver, I finally did a system restore to change back to the old driver, problem solved.

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2012
            FTDI have had a serious problem with sleep mode since the CDM 2600
            drivers were released. It's not a good idea to update their drivers
            from any source until *all* of the problems have been resolved.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 5/4/2012 11:31 AM, Bert - W0RSB wrote:
            > I learned a long time ago to NEVER take Microsoft "updates" for hardware drivers, and to only take them from the device manufacturer or vendor. Even then, I'm reluctant to take those unless they fix a problem I'm actually experiencing.
            >
            > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "n4bp1"<n4bp@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Yesterday I allowed Win7 (64 bit) to do the optional update it offered for the FTDI chip. Big mistake! Although my WinKeyer USB would still send from the function keys, it took several seconds to drop back to receive and then put up a message in N1MM, "WinKey not recognized". After messing around trying to reinstall the old driver, I finally did a system restore to change back to the old driver, problem solved.

          • Barry Merrill, W5GN
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2012
              That you experienced problems on both SEVEN and XP proves neither is at
              fault, and suggests strongly that you either have a serious
              motherboard-level hardware fault,
              or that you have some ancient and external hardware, which can cause driver
              issues that
              can inhibit startup when vendors of old hardware don't provide updated
              drivers,
              or perhaps, and most likely, is that you have an RFI problem.
              RFI can actually modify bits in real memory chips when you transmit, and,
              then, when
              that piece of memory is stored, when you log that contact or close that
              program, etc.,
              then very strange things can happen when you restart or reboot or reopen a
              program.

              I develop commercial software on multiple PCs with multiple levels of
              Windows,
              and have never had anything close to your negative experience with automatic
              updates for all Windows operating systems, on systems with commercial
              hardware
              (mainframe tape drives) and on systems with ham radio hardware (all now
              connected
              via USB or Ethernet or wireless, but COM1 and LPT1 were used in their
              heyday).

              73

              Barry, W5GN

              Herbert W. Barry Merrill, PhD