Update warning pop up!

  • n5yee2
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2012
      Pete, the message didn't come from the virus software. Norton gave a pop up that said it was ok, but the pop up of concern seems to be from Windows. Has anyone ever seen this?

      "this file is not normally downloaded and can harm your computer."

      Ray N5yee
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2012
        Ray,
        I have seen that message, usually when I am downloading a driver or the
        like from the internet at the direction of somoone or some sight to fix
        a specific problem. Everytime I have seen it, I had a reasonable
        feeling that what I was downloading was good and I never have had a
        problem when I have seen that message. Were you downloading something
        at some other person or site's direction when you saw that message?

        John / WA1JG

        On 5/3/2012 2:47 PM, n5yee2 wrote:

        > Pete, the message didn't come from the virus software. Norton gave a
        > pop up that said it was ok, but the pop up of concern seems to be from
        > Windows. Has anyone ever seen this?
        >
        > "this file is not normally downloaded and can harm your computer."
        >
        > Ray N5yee

      • Tommy Alderman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2012
          Ray,

          Yes, I see this just about every time I download an update with my Win 7 Pro
          64-bit system. In the almost 10 years of using N1MM, I have never seen or
          heard of malware or virus contained in N1MM. With over 6000 users, you can
          be sure it would be a LOUD subject if it were to happen. That I know of,
          this warning is only produced in Windows 7.

          73,
          Tom - W4BQF

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2012
            That's a new one on me, Ray - haven't seen it here.

            73, Pete N4ZR
            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
            arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

          • Bob@n2scj.net
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2012
              I’ve seen that before. I run multiple computers running W7/32 and 64. Not sure which computer complained. I figured that “this file is not normally downloaded...” meant that file what not on the whitelist. I knew what I was downloading/installing so I said, yeah, go do it. There was no problem.

              Bob

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
              The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net,/ blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,