Re: [N1MM] strange anomaly with N1MM

  • Pete Smith N4ZR
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
      Or even better, before renaming your .ini file, see if exiting with the
      X rather than the File menu entry works properly. Can you make it fail,
      too?

      73, Pete N4ZR
      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
      arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

      On 4/2/2012 6:26 AM, John Bednar wrote:
      > The next thing I would try is renaming the N1MM Logger.ini file, starting
      > the program, wait until everything initializes, then click on the red X in
      > the upper right corner of the Entry window. Does the program exit normally?
      >
      > John, K3CT

    • rich_ve3ki
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
        Hi Bill,

        Define "all" - I'm not sure they can all be found under the Power Management applet in Control Panel. In particular, check this one:

        Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > Generic USB Hub should open a dialog box with several tabs. Select Power Management, then make sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is *not* checked. If there is more than one Generic USB Hub entry in Device Manager, repeat for each one. If there are any "USB Root Hub" entries in Device Manager, repeat for each of them as well.

        I could be wrong about this, but I don't think these settings are the same as the "USB selective suspend" setting that you can find under Power Options, Advanced Power Settings. I believe that should probably be disabled as well.

        I know nothing about radios with internal USB devices, but it's conceivable that if you have one of those you may need to change a menu setting in the radio to prevent it from going to sleep.

        73,
        Rich VE3KI

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
          "...I do NOT have N1MM installed using the default Win7-32 bit C: install
          choices. All my ham programs are on D:/ When I did the original install I
          chose D:/ instead of accepting the default install choices..."

          If the OS is on C-drive will N1MM install and run correctly if you do this?
          Could this have anything to do with Bill's problem?

          Define "all" - I'm not sure they can all be found under the Power Management
          applet in Control Panel. In particular, check this one:

          Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > Generic USB Hub should
          open a dialog box with several tabs. Select Power Management, then make sure
          that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is *not*
          checked. If there is more than one Generic USB Hub entry in Device Manager,
          repeat for each one. If there are any "USB Root Hub" entries in Device
          Manager, repeat for each of them as well.

          I could be wrong about this, but I don't think these settings are the same
          as the "USB selective suspend" setting that you can find under Power
          Options, Advanced Power Settings. I believe that should probably be disabled
          as well.

          I know nothing about radios with internal USB devices, but it's conceivable
          that if you have one of those you may need to change a menu setting in the
          radio to prevent it from going to sleep.

          73,
          Rich VE3KI

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Bill <w9ol@...> wrote:

          > I have all 'timeout' or 'sleep' options disabled in my system.
          > I had thought of that and checked.
          >

          > On 4/1/12 8:52 PM, Steve London wrote:
          > >
          > > Perhaps a USB port being used by N1MM Logger has gone to sleep, or a
          > > radio
          > > connected through a USB port (with a virtual serial port) has gone to
          > > sleep.
          > > Either of these conditions can cause N1MM to hang when trying to exit.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Steve, N2IC
          > >
          > > On 04/01/2012 07:41 PM, Don Moman VE6JY wrote:
          > > > I must say I am noticing the same behaviour that Bill described. Maybe
          > > > twice all weekend. Win 7 64 and 12.3.0 - but think it also happened
          once
          > > > on one of the XP machines in our wpx m/m setup. Seemed to be more
          likely
          > > > to do it after long periods of inactivity.
          > > >
          > > > Don VE6JY

          > > works

          > > Win7-32 bit
          > > >>>

          > --
          >
          > backup C: A: | format C: | ...where's my copy of RESTORE!
          > ---------------------------
          > Ham Radio: Send your signal to INFINITY AND BEYOND!
          > W9OL-Bill H. in Chicagoland
          > webcams at http://w9ol-towercam.webhop.org:8080
          > My weatherpage at http://home.comcast.net/~w9ol/WX/HH.htm
        • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
            I run Windows 7/64 on a solid-state C drive and N1MM Logger on a physical
            spinning drive D. Works fine.

            -larry (K8UT)

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
              Just as another data point, my installation is on the "M:" drive. It
              shouldn't make any difference.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
                Larry, Bob:

                Thanks. I am considering doing something similar.

                Just as another data point, my installation is on the "M:" drive. It
                shouldn't make any difference.

                > I run Windows 7/64 on a solid-state C drive and N1MM Logger on a physical
                > spinning drive D. Works fine.
                >
                > -larry (K8UT)

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
                  Hey guys, don't loose sleep over this. It's not the a biggee. 5 mouse
                  clicks instead of 1.
                  I can live with it.

                  Only reason I asked ... was to see if there was a easy fix.
                  This is small stuff and I don't sweat the small problems (I usually have
                  big enough to take up my time.)

                  On 4/2/12 10:22 AM, Ted Bryant wrote:

                  > Larry, Bob:
                  >
                  > Thanks. I am considering doing something similar.
                  >
                  > 73, Ted W4NZ

                  Always draw your curves, then plot your reading.