Re: Digital modes PTT with LPT1?

  • rich_ve3ki
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2012
      If you are using LPT1 for PTT in CW and SSB, I believe you can use it for PTT in digital modes also. You cannot use it for FSK keying, but you can use it for PTT.

      For PTT, you do not have to check a Digital check box and you do not have to configure a port in MMTTY. You can just let N1MM Logger control PTT the same way it does in other modes; the possibilities include COM ports, LPT ports, a Winkeyer, or radio command, and in AFSK, the possibilities also include VOX or an external VOX unit like the SignaLink.

      For keying FSK RTTY, things become more complicated, but if you are only talking about PTT, AFAIK there is no real difference between digital modes and other modes.

      73,
      Rich VE3KI

      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "lu7hz" <lu7hz@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've configured my keyer/PTT thru the home made SO2R controller to be made using LPT1.
      >
      > It seems that in order to use digital modes the PTT has to be made thru a COM port.
      >
      > Is there any way to configure in digital modes the PTT to be made by LPT1 as well?
      >
      > Thanks, Pedro LU7HZ

    • lu7hz
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
        Hi,

        I'm using FLDIGI.

        73 de Pedro LU7HZ

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg DeChant W8GCD" <gcdechant@...> wrote:

        > Hi Pedro!
        >

        > What are you using for your digital mode? MMTTY or FLDIDI?
        >

        > 73, Greg W8GCD ar

      • lu7hz
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
          TU I'll recheck then since it didn't work.

          73 de Pedro LU7HZ

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "rich_ve3ki" <ve3ki@...> wrote:

          > If you are using LPT1 for PTT in CW and SSB, I believe you can use it for PTT in digital modes also. You cannot use it for FSK keying, but you can use it for PTT.
          >
          > For PTT, you do not have to check a Digital check box and you do not have to configure a port in MMTTY. You can just let N1MM Logger control PTT the same way it does in other modes; the possibilities include COM ports, LPT ports, a Winkeyer, or radio command, and in AFSK, the possibilities also include VOX or an external VOX unit like the SignaLink.
          >
          > For keying FSK RTTY, things become more complicated, but if you are only talking about PTT, AFAIK there is no real difference between digital modes and other modes.
          >
          > 73,
          > Rich VE3KI
          >

          > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "lu7hz" <lu7hz@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I've configured my keyer/PTT thru the home made SO2R controller to be made using LPT1.
          > >
          > > It seems that in order to use digital modes the PTT has to be made thru a COM port.
          > >
          > > Is there any way to configure in digital modes the PTT to be made by LPT1 as well?
          > >
          > > Thanks, Pedro LU7HZ

        • rich_ve3ki
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
            Exactly what doesn't work? What radio are you using, and what mode is it in? In the Configurer, is there a check mark in the CW/Other box for LPT1? In the setup window for LPT1, is there a check in the DVK box? If there is, that will prevent PTT from working.

            Can you control PTT from LPT1 in the Logger in CW and SSB? If it doesn't work in CW or SSB, you need to fix that. If PTT from LPT1 works in CW or SSB, I am not aware of any reason that would stop it from working exactly the same way in digital modes including AFSK RTTY.

            Since you said you are using Fldigi, you cannot use FSK RTTY. The radio has to be in a mode that accepts audio input. SSB will work on any radio, or some radios have dedicated audio-based digital modes.

            In the Fldigi configuration, under the Rig tab, make sure you have XML-RPC selected (select the XML-RPC tab, check the box that says Use XML-RPC, and if the label on the Initialize button is red, click on the button). Now select the Hardware PTT tab and make sure none of the check boxes in that window are checked. None of the check boxes under RigCAT, Hamlib or MemMap should be checked either, only under XML-RPC.