Band Buttons in Available Mults and Qs window

  • w3sz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2012
      Hi All,

      I used N1MM in the ARRL VHF contest this weekend and have a couple of questions:

      1. I operate all bands from 50 MHz thru 24 GHz. The band buttons on the "Available Mults and Qs window" as configured only go up to 5GHz. How do I get N1MM to show the 10 and 24 GHz bands also?

      2. When I use the band buttons to switch bands my software application stops communicating with N1MM after variable numbers of band-button-bandchanges. This does not happen when I enter the frequency by typing in the Entry Window. So I am assuming that something is different in terms of how N1MM communicates with 'the radio' when the band button is clicked, as opposed to how it communicates when the frequency is typed into the Entry Window. I wrote my application to trap for FA, FB, IF, FR, and FT. Can someone tell me what the band button is sending/expecting? Or I can ask for the source and find out that way if a quick answer is not forthcoming, so I can fix my application.

      Thanks in advance,

      Roger Rehr
      W3SZ
      http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz
    • John Bednar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2012
        1. Use the Band Up/Band Down keystroke Ctrl+PgUp/Dn or enter the frequency
        in the EntryWindow in KHz and press Enter.

        2. The program sends the frequency command to set the radio that you
        selected and expects answers to the polling data for that radio. Without
        knowing what radio that you selected, it's possible that the radio
        implementation will not allow frequencies above a certain band due to
        knowledge of radio firmware bugs, limitations in the radio command length,
        or the internal program code limitations (size of int). The latter could
        also be occurring in your program code. N1MM Logger does have a transverter
        table to define your IF frequency. This allows you to use a physical radio
        directly.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2012
          Thanks, John!

          I appreciate your timely answers, and for everything you do for N1MM!

          I do know how to change the frequencies to the higher bands by the
          methods you noted, but I wanted to have band buttons for the higher
          bands. It disrupts the workflow if one can use the buttons for some of
          the bands, but not all of them. I figured there was a way to display
          band buttons for the higher bands, but I guess there isn't. Now I know,
          and will continue to use the methods that you mentioned to get to the
          upper bands ;)

          My program allows 6 SDRs to function as one radio, as far as N1MM is
          concerned. I wrote it to act as a Kenwood and respond to N1MM
          appropriately. It works fine with the typed frequency entries in the
          Entry Window, but eventually stops responding when the band buttons are
          used. I see that the band buttons also send "FR0;" and "FT0;", which I
          had not trapped in my program, and I will add trapped responses for
          those and see if that solves the problem.

          Thanks again for the quick response!

          A brief summary of what I am doing is at:

          http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/osxhpsdrserver.htm

          I had it all working with WriteLog for a couple of years, but I have
          just switched to N1MM in the past few weeks [and plan to stay with N1MM].

          Have a great day, and

          73,
          Roger Rehr
          W3SZ
          http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz

          On 1/25/2012 6:23 AM, John Bednar wrote:
          > 1. Use the Band Up/Band Down keystroke Ctrl+PgUp/Dn or enter the frequency
          > in the EntryWindow in KHz and press Enter.
          >
          > 2. The program sends the frequency command to set the radio that you
          > selected and expects answers to the polling data for that radio. Without
          > knowing what radio that you selected, it's possible that the radio
          > implementation will not allow frequencies above a certain band due to
          > knowledge of radio firmware bugs, limitations in the radio command length,
          > or the internal program code limitations (size of int). The latter could
          > also be occurring in your program code. N1MM Logger does have a transverter
          > table to define your IF frequency. This allows you to use a physical radio
          > directly.
          >
          > John, K3CT

        • w3sz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 25, 2012
            Hi All,

            Problem solved. As I suspected, the problem was due to my not trapping for strings sent by N1MM when the band buttons are clicked that are not sent when the frequency is changed by typing it in the Entry Window. I added trapping for MDx, FRx, FTx, and AI0 strings sent by N1MM when the band buttons are used, and now all is well.

            Have a great week all,

            and 73,

            Roger Rehr
            W3SZ