Re: [N1MM] "Farnsworthing?"

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
      It's already there if you use WinKey - just preset WinKey with
      the "Farnsworth" threshold. N1MM Logger does not reset the
      Farnsworth threshold as set in WinKey when N1MM starts.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 10/2/2011 1:58 PM, Geoffrey Way wrote:
      > I'm interested in adding a feature to the CW keying where
      > the user
      > could set a threshold that if the WPM is below that value,
      > the speed
      > of the characters remains at that speed, but just adds
      > Farnsworth
      > spacing to equate the speed, instead of slowing the
      > characters more.
      >
      > -- KA1IOR

    • Geoffrey Way
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
        Sorry, I don't use Winkey, and have no plans to. I have my
        trusty
        LPT interface that I've been using since the days of CT... N1MM
        can provide for all of my needs, and more if this is a
        feature they
        want to add. It would be a really good thing for helping CW
        newbies
        if we made it easier for them to copy with some Farnsworth
        spacing.

        -- KA1IOR
      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
          > Sorry, I don't use Winkey, and have no plans to.

          Yo asked for the capability - I told you how to achieve it. If you
          don't want to do what's necessary to make use of the capability don't
          complain when you don't have it.

          > I have my trusty LPT interface that I've been using since the days of
          > CT

          Sure ... and I've been able to start a fire with flint and steel or
          bow since the days of Cub Scouts but I don't use ancient technology
          when I want to start the barbecue. Asking for alternate timing in
          software generated CW is pushing an already unstable system as
          Windows was never designed as a real time operating system. If
          you want reliable CW generation, keep your DOS machine and stick
          with CT.

          > It would be a really good thing for helping CW newbies if we made it
          > easier for them to copy with some Farnsworth spacing.

          Farnsworth spacing is not necessarily easier to copy. Farnsworth is
          a method to learning to copy at a faster speed. It supposedly avoids
          the "wall" at around 10 WPM but it does no make learning CW easier.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 10/3/2011 8:49 PM, Geoffrey Way wrote:
          > Sorry, I don't use Winkey, and have no plans to. I have my
          > trusty
          > LPT interface that I've been using since the days of CT... N1MM
          > can provide for all of my needs, and more if this is a
          > feature they
          > want to add. It would be a really good thing for helping CW
          > newbies
          > if we made it easier for them to copy with some Farnsworth
          > spacing.
          >
          > -- KA1IOR

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
            I had to do that with the club call W9 E T while nice and short when
            sent normally W9ET I get a lot of repeats needed. or W9A for the call.

            Joe WB9SBD

            The Original Rolling Ball Clock
            Idle Tyme
            Idle-Tyme.com
            http://www.idle-tyme.com

            On 10/4/2011 10:03 AM, Rex Maner wrote:
            > I have found that the ~ character used in a Macro will give an extra 1/2 space that can help with some letters.
            >
            > I use the same keying that you do, CT, NA , etc LPT
            >
            > Rex K7QQ

          • Rex Maner
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011