Re: [N1MM] California QSO Party

  • studentofradio
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
      Thanks all of you for your help. I've tried everything and still can't figure it out. I read the getting started guide which states:

      "Next comes the most important part of this dialog, the Sent Exchange field."

      And so in the box labeled Sent Exchange I tried "NJ", "001NJ", "001" but then when I go to the entry dialog and enter the call sign, the Sent NR, the RcvNR and hit enter, I get the message "Missing/Invalid Exchange" I must be missing something very obvious, like do I need to put quotes ("") around the 001NJ? Or something else?

      Thanks again for your help. I know the QSO party is over, and I had a blast just making contacts with stations in California. I'd like to get ready for the next QSO party, which appears to be Pennsylvania next weekend.

      Dave WG2R

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
        Dave,

        For the CQP in the Sent Exchange window you should have "001(space)NJ" ->
        001 NJ

        The Sent Exchange field controls what is put in the cabrillo log for
        the...sent exchange. It is also what is sent if you use the {EXCH} macro in
        an F-key message.

        You still must program each F-key message.

        The reason you get "Missing/Invalid Exchange" after typing the RcvNR and
        hitting Enter is because you must also type in a valid county designator in
        the Exch field before trying to log the QSO. For example, try typing "1234"
        and "LANG" in the RcvNR and Exch fields and then hit Enter.

        More suggested reading: (on the website)

        N1MM Logger Documentation > Digging Deeper> Contest Setup and Configuration
        > Contest Setup Instructions > 5. QSO Parties

        Thanks all of you for your help. I've tried everything and still can't
        figure it out. I read the getting started guide which states:

        "Next comes the most important part of this dialog, the Sent Exchange
        field."

        And so in the box labeled Sent Exchange I tried "NJ", "001NJ", "001" but
        then when I go to the entry dialog and enter the call sign, the Sent NR, the
        RcvNR and hit enter, I get the message "Missing/Invalid Exchange" I must be
        missing something very obvious, like do I need to put quotes ("") around the
        001NJ? Or something else?

        Thanks again for your help. I know the QSO party is over, and I had a blast
        just making contacts with stations in California. I'd like to get ready for
        the next QSO party, which appears to be Pennsylvania next weekend.

        Dave WG2R

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Dale Putnam <daleputnam@...> wrote:

        > The sent exchange is your qso number and state to the ca station.... they
        give you qso number and county.Good Luck,

        > --... ...--
        > Dale - WC7S in Wy

      • studentofradio
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
          Ted,

          Thank you very much! I tried what you suggested and it works. I would have never figured out on my own that I needed to enter a 4 digit county code in the Exch field. Thanks for the suggested further reading about QSO parties, which I just got done reading. I must say, even after reading that material which is very helpful, I still wouldn't have figured out that one needs to enter a 4-digit county code in the Exch field. I've been looking around for hours and hours and trying everything, but there is no advice anywhere I can find about that all-important 4-digit county code. It would be nice if the CQP site or the N1MM site could have included that critical information, but thanks to you I now know that important, well-kept secret! :)

          73,

          Dave WG2R

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
            Hi Dave,

            Glad you now have it working and you'll be ready for the PaQP next week.
            That "well kept secret" was gleaned from the CQP rules under the EXCHANGE
            paragraph where it said that California stations must send a QSO number and
            their county. They also provide a list of county abbreviations. Each QSO
            party has its own unique exchange which you have to log so be sure and check
            out the rules in advance.

            Good luck in the next one!

            Thank you very much! I tried what you suggested and it works. I would have
            never figured out on my own that I needed to enter a 4 digit county code in
            the Exch field. Thanks for the suggested further reading about QSO parties,
            which I just got done reading. I must say, even after reading that material
            which is very helpful, I still wouldn't have figured out that one needs to
            enter a 4-digit county code in the Exch field. I've been looking around for
            hours and hours and trying everything, but there is no advice anywhere I can
            find about that all-important 4-digit county code. It would be nice if the
            CQP site or the N1MM site could have included that critical information, but
            thanks to you I now know that important, well-kept secret! :)

            73,

            Dave WG2R

            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            >
            > For the CQP in the Sent Exchange window you should have "001(space)NJ" ->
            > 001 NJ
            >
            > The Sent Exchange field controls what is put in the cabrillo log for
            > the...sent exchange. It is also what is sent if you use the {EXCH} macro
            in
            > an F-key message.
            >
            > You still must program each F-key message.
            >
            > The reason you get "Missing/Invalid Exchange" after typing the RcvNR and
            > hitting Enter is because you must also type in a valid county designator
            in
            > the Exch field before trying to log the QSO. For example, try typing
            "1234"
            > and "LANG" in the RcvNR and Exch fields and then hit Enter.
            >
            > More suggested reading: (on the website)
            >
            > N1MM Logger Documentation > Digging Deeper> Contest Setup and
            Configuration
            > > Contest Setup Instructions > 5. QSO Parties
            >
            > 73, Ted W4NZ

          • John Bednar
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
              Dave,

              Always start with the contest rules.

              The CA QSO Party Rules includes the county abbreviations in the hyperlink
              (58).

              - Maximum of 58 Multipliers
              - Count all 58 California Counties for a maximum of 58 multipliers.
              - The total score is the total number of QSO Points multiplied by the total
              number of multipliers (58 maximum).

              N1MM Logger also lists the county abbreviations in the Multiplier window.
              Click on the "Other" radio button near the bottom of the window.

              Thank you very much! I tried what you suggested and it works. I would have
              never figured out on my own that I needed to enter a 4 digit county code in
              the Exch field. Thanks for the suggested further reading about QSO parties,
              which I just got done reading. I must say, even after reading that material
              which is very helpful, I still wouldn't have figured out that one needs to
              enter a 4-digit county code in the Exch field. I've been looking around for
              hours and hours and trying everything, but there is no advice anywhere I can
              find about that all-important 4-digit county code. It would be nice if the
              CQP site or the N1MM site could have included that critical information, but
              thanks to you I now know that important, well-kept secret! :)

              73,

              Dave WG2R

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              >
              > For the CQP in the Sent Exchange window you should have "001(space)NJ" ->
              > 001 NJ
              >
              > The Sent Exchange field controls what is put in the cabrillo log for
              > the...sent exchange. It is also what is sent if you use the {EXCH} macro
              in
              > an F-key message.
              >
              > You still must program each F-key message.
              >
              > The reason you get "Missing/Invalid Exchange" after typing the RcvNR and
              > hitting Enter is because you must also type in a valid county designator
              in
              > the Exch field before trying to log the QSO. For example, try typing
              "1234"
              > and "LANG" in the RcvNR and Exch fields and then hit Enter.
              >
              > More suggested reading: (on the website)
              >
              > N1MM Logger Documentation > Digging Deeper> Contest Setup and
              Configuration
              > > Contest Setup Instructions > 5. QSO Parties
              >
              > 73, Ted W4NZ

            • studentofradio
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
                John,
                John,

                I only read the rules about 50 times before posting my question. :) I also saw the county abbreviations, but never made the non-obvious conclusion that those county codes were to be entered by non-California operators as part of the N1MM entry. Maybe it would be helpful for the contest rules to include that simple, yet critical piece of information.

                Thanks for the info on how multipliers work and the "other" button - haven't found it but I'm still looking....

                73,
                Dave WG2R

                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@...> wrote:

                > Dave,
                >
                > Always start with the contest rules.
                >
                > The CA QSO Party Rules includes the county abbreviations in the hyperlink
                > (58).
                >
                > - Maximum of 58 Multipliers
                > - Count all 58 California Counties for a maximum of 58 multipliers.
                > - The total score is the total number of QSO Points multiplied by the total
                > number of multipliers (58 maximum).
                >
                > N1MM Logger also lists the county abbreviations in the Multiplier window.
                > Click on the "Other" radio button near the bottom of the window.
                >
                > John, K3CT

              • studentofradio
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
                  (John, I accidentally typed your name twice below when addressing you - sorry about that)

                  --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "studentofradio" <studentofradio@...> wrote:

                  > John,
                  > John,
                  >
                  > I only read the rules about 50 times before posting my question. :) I also saw the county abbreviations, but never made the non-obvious conclusion that those county codes were to be entered by non-California operators as part of the N1MM entry. Maybe it would be helpful for the contest rules to include that simple, yet critical piece of information.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info on how multipliers work and the "other" button - haven't found it but I'm still looking....
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Dave WG2R
                  >

                  > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dave,
                  > >
                  > > Always start with the contest rules.
                  > >
                  > > The CA QSO Party Rules includes the county abbreviations in the hyperlink
                  > > (58).
                  > >
                  > > - Maximum of 58 Multipliers
                  > > - Count all 58 California Counties for a maximum of 58 multipliers.
                  > > - The total score is the total number of QSO Points multiplied by the total
                  > > number of multipliers (58 maximum).
                  > >
                  > > N1MM Logger also lists the county abbreviations in the Multiplier window.
                  > > Click on the "Other" radio button near the bottom of the window.
                  > >
                  > > John, K3CT

                • Rex Maner
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                    NJ

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                      I started to make a small joke about reading the directions, checking the web site for the rules, etc., but I fear you've made a very valid point.

                      A few months ago, the MARAC contest (the name was revised this year to something like the US Counties contest and SSB and CW were both permitted on the same weekend) was held. The rules were modified this year and confusion reigned.

                      In N1MM (and virtually all other contest programs), the "exchange" for state-level QSO parties typically require an accepted abbreviation for the county worked. When I saw the rules for the US Counties contest, the event coordinator listed the abbreviations as "recommended." I wrote him an email, requesting stronger language - i.e., instead of "recommended" I thought the word should be something synonymous with "required."

                      It is irritating to participate in a contest and have someone send you the full county name (or worse - their personal choice of an abbreviation!) when N1MM (or your other contest program of choice) will only accept the "approved" abbreviation, etc.

                      The event coordinator responded that he wanted the contest to be "...not so rigid...." and that was why he used the term "recommended" instead of something else.

                      To me, that's the same as saying "..we have rules, but they're going to be flexible!"

                      Personally, I ended up numerous times copying exactly what the other station sent me and "forcing" the log entry if N1MM didn't immediately accept it. The administrative mess following the contest was sufficient that I may skip that contest next year!

                      In analyzing what you had written (particularly your response), it dawned on me that a contest newbie is sometimes left in the dark as to how things actually work.

                      Art - N4PJ

                    • Rich NU6T
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                        Dave, NCCC does offer a list of CQP county abbreviations, and a pdf copy
                        to hang next to your position for quick reference. For most counties,
                        the code is the first four letters, or the first letter of the first
                        word and three letters of the second word---but verify.

                        http://www.cqp.org/cqp_multipliers.html

                        This page is available from the main CQP web page (http://www.cqp.org/)
                        in the second paragraph by clicking on the blue colored word
                        "multipliers". (See: Stations outside of California, worldwide, work
                        stations in California only. The 58 counties of CA are the _*multipliers
                        <cqp_multipliers.html>*_.

                        NCCC wants everyone to be successful based on my experience (I'm a
                        member but not an officer). Help should be available (but perhaps less
                        so just prior to the contest as many are en route to rare counties to
                        assure that all 58 counties are available). See the bottom of the page
                        (http://www.cqp.org/):
                        ____________
                        Contact Information

                        Many NCCCers contribute to making the CQP a success. Feel free to
                        contact any of the following members for additional information or comments:

                        Rules, Awards, Questions & General Information: Rick Eversole, N6RNO
                        <mailto:rick@...>
                        County Operation Plans: Bob Wilson, N6TV <http://www.qrz.com/db/n6tv>
                        WACC: Fred Jensen, K6DGW <mailto:k6dgw@...>
                        Website: John Miller, K6MM <mailto:k6mm@...>