Re: [N1MM] external DVK

  • Katsuhiro Kondou
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2011
      John,

      In article <1AB15748893347BC908EA0E1E608578F@AMD2800MHz>,
      "John, K3CT" <k3ct@...> wrote,
      on "Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:28:07 -0400";

      } Here is the data that I provided to the team. I don't know if it was added
      } to the manual yet.
      }
      } The program supports DVK messages F1 to F7.
      } Here is the table:
      } F1 - pin3
      } F2 - pin4
      } F3 - pin5
      } F4 - pin6
      } F5 pins 4 & 6
      } F6 - pins 4 & 5
      } F7 - pins 4 & 5 & 6
      } The LPT port pins are pulsed for 100ms.

      This helps me much. Thanks.
      --
      Katsuhiro Kondou, JH5GHM/1
    • Katsuhiro Kondou
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
        John,

        In article <20110801.103137.91816270.kondou@...>,
        Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou@...> wrote,
        on "Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:31:37 +0900 (JST)";

        } } Here is the data that I provided to the team. I don't know if it was added
        } } to the manual yet.
        } }
        } } The program supports DVK messages F1 to F7.
        } } Here is the table:
        } } F1 - pin3
        } } F2 - pin4
        } } F3 - pin5
        } } F4 - pin6
        } } F5 pins 4 & 6
        } } F6 - pins 4 & 5
        } } F7 - pins 4 & 5 & 6
        } } The LPT port pins are pulsed for 100ms.
        }
        } This helps me much. Thanks.

        I was going to use USB-to-LPT converter, since my PC box has no LPT port.
        On the other hand, I found the explanation in interfacing manual;

        USB-to-serial converters are supported, but USB-to-LPT (parallel)
        converters are not.

        Is this only true for PTT and CW output? Or also true for DVK usage?
        --
        Katsuhiro Kondou, JH5GHM/1
        Tokyo, JAPAN
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
          Katsuhiro,

          I don't have an answer to your question. There may latency or variability in
          the LPT control.
          I know the USB to LPT converters are unusable for CW.
          It has nothing to do with the N1MM program, it communicates with the Windows
          device driver.

          > on "Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:31:37 +0900 (JST)";
          >
          > } } Here is the data that I provided to the team. I don't know if it was
          > added
          > } } to the manual yet.
          > } }
          > } } The program supports DVK messages F1 to F7.
          > } } Here is the table:
          > } } F1 - pin3
          > } } F2 - pin4
          > } } F3 - pin5
          > } } F4 - pin6
          > } } F5 pins 4 & 6
          > } } F6 - pins 4 & 5
          > } } F7 - pins 4 & 5 & 6
          > } } The LPT port pins are pulsed for 100ms.
          > }
          > } This helps me much. Thanks.
          >
          > I was going to use USB-to-LPT converter, since my PC box has no LPT port.
          > On the other hand, I found the explanation in interfacing manual;
          >
          > USB-to-serial converters are supported, but USB-to-LPT (parallel)
          > converters are not.
          >
          > Is this only true for PTT and CW output? Or also true for DVK usage?
          > --
          > Katsuhiro Kondou, JH5GHM/1
          > Tokyo, JAPAN

        • Katsuhiro Kondou
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
            John,

            In article <48BDF99781E749E1A3DE4DA73BACC160@AMD2800MHz>,
            "John, K3CT" <k3ct@...> wrote,
            on "Tue, 02 Aug 2011 05:39:59 -0400";

            } I don't have an answer to your question. There may latency or variability in
            } the LPT control.
            } I know the USB to LPT converters are unusable for CW.
            } It has nothing to do with the N1MM program, it communicates with the Windows
            } device driver.

            Ok. I haven't tested yet, and am now writing the circuit for it.
            I was not going to try to use external DVK for N1MM if it really
            does not support thru USB-to-LPT. But, from your suggestion, I
            try to do anyway, while it may fail. Thanks again.
            --
            Katsuhiro Kondou, JH5GHM/1
            Tokyo, JAPAN
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
              There is one USB-to-LPT converter that *does* work - the SO2RXLAT by
              Piexx (http://www.piexx.com). It is specifically designed to implement
              all of the standard LPT port pinouts, using the OTRSP (Open Two Radio
              Support Protocol), which is supported by N1MM Logger. It is expensive
              compared to normal USB-to-serial adapters, but it works FB, and also
              provides a second port for rig control for one radio, Icom or otherwise.

              73, Pete N4ZR

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                Pete,

                In article <4E37DFC9.5000404@...>,
                Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote,
                on "Tue, 02 Aug 2011 07:30:17 -0400";

                } There is one USB-to-LPT converter that *does* work - the SO2RXLAT by
                } Piexx (http://www.piexx.com). It is specifically designed to implement
                } all of the standard LPT port pinouts, using the OTRSP (Open Two Radio
                } Support Protocol), which is supported by N1MM Logger. It is expensive
                } compared to normal USB-to-serial adapters, but it works FB, and also
                } provides a second port for rig control for one radio, Icom or otherwise.

                Thanks for the info. I read how it works, and it just behaves
                as serial ports from outside, while external DVK requires actual
                LPT port. In configurer, there is no DVK enable check box for
                COM port.
                --
                Katsuhiro Kondou, JH5GHM/1
                Tokyo, JAPAN
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                  The PIEXX unit does have a real LPT port, but unfortunately, I have
                  since learned that the OTRSP does not support the necessary signals for
                  an external DVK. Sorry for the misleading information.

                  This may not be a welcome comment, but I do not understand why anyone
                  would use an external DVK with N1MM Logger instead of the sound card in
                  the host computer (or a USB sound card, in the event that your computer
                  does not have a three-port sound card).

                  With my microphone plugged into the mic input of the sound card, and the
                  sound card's line output fed to the line input on my radio, I have
                  excellent recorded and live audio. This arrangement also gives me the
                  ability to re-record any of 24 messages on the fly, and the additional
                  option of voicing callsigns and serial numbers. The sound card is much
                  more closely integrated with the logger

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                  On 8/2/2011 9:33 AM, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
                  > Pete,
                  >
                  > In article<4E37DFC9.5000404@...>,
                  > Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote,
                  > on "Tue, 02 Aug 2011 07:30:17 -0400";
                  >
                  > } There is one USB-to-LPT converter that *does* work - the SO2RXLAT by
                  > } Piexx (http://www.piexx.com). It is specifically designed to implement
                  > } all of the standard LPT port pinouts, using the OTRSP (Open Two Radio
                  > } Support Protocol), which is supported by N1MM Logger. It is expensive
                  > } compared to normal USB-to-serial adapters, but it works FB, and also
                  > } provides a second port for rig control for one radio, Icom or otherwise.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info. I read how it works, and it just behaves
                  > as serial ports from outside, while external DVK requires actual
                  > LPT port. In configurer, there is no DVK enable check box for
                  > COM port.
                • Joe Subich, W4TV
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                    > It is specifically designed to implement all of the standard LPT port
                    > pinouts, using the OTRSP (Open Two Radio Support Protocol), which is
                    > supported by N1MM Logger.

                    While OTRSP includes a specification for the message lines does the
                    SO2RXlate actually support those outputs? The web site description
                    does not seem to indicate DVK support:

                    > The SO2Rxlat responds to commands that allow for Transmit Focus,
                    > Receive Focus, Radio Select, Stereo Enable as well as 2 separate
                    > 4 bit BCD outputs for band / antenna selection.

                    The issue with the standard USB to parallel converters is that they are
                    not memory mapped devices and N1MM Logger uses memory mapping (direct
                    port writes). Memory mapped I/O does not work with the USB to parallel
                    converters which are a serial device with serial to parallel converter
                    under control of a special "Windows Print System" driver.

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                      Pete,

                      In article <4E380655.3000008@...>,
                      Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote,
                      on "Tue, 02 Aug 2011 10:14:45 -0400";

                      } This may not be a welcome comment, but I do not understand why anyone
                      } would use an external DVK with N1MM Logger instead of the sound card in
                      } the host computer (or a USB sound card, in the event that your computer
                      } does not have a three-port sound card).

                      I totally understand what you are saying. I'm not sure whether
                      you know how I come to use external DVK, but as I wrote in my
                      third message of this thread, I am also about to write the code
                      of external DVK support for another logging software which runs
                      only on OS X.
                      --
                      Katsuhiro Kondou, JH5GHM/1
                      Tokyo, JAPAN