Re: [N1MM] Serial number

  • W8HW
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
      This (below) would be real nice to have.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
        Roger

        Yes... sort of.

        Complete the first QSO by hand (send the first exchange with the key). Once
        it is logged, right click the QSO in the logbook window and change the sent
        serial to whatever you want it to be.

        Then close the contest and re-open it.

        The next serial sent should now be as you want it.

        Rob, G4LMW

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
          The capability is already there.

          If for some reason there is a computer problem making it unusable for
          logging, just copy your database (ham.mdb is the default file) from the old
          computer to the N1MM Logger directory on the new, open that database, select
          the contest you were operating, check and/or correct your hardware
          configuration and continue with the contest. The serial numbers will
          continue in sequence.

          But if there is a problem with the log itself and not the computer, changing
          computers will not solve that.

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
            Hello Rob,

            Great answer below!!! Thank you for your answer. That has finally answered my questions on this subject. This is the first answer to the issue. Way to think "out of the box". It is so good to have people like you (and others) helping on the reflector. Again, many TNX.

            73, Bruce, W8HW, w8hw@...
            I repair broken radios, if it transmits, I fix it.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
              While Rob's suggestion works well, you will end up with partial logs on two
              different computers and have to deal with that issue before sending a log to
              the contest sponsor. Also, with a partial log the dupe-checking ability of
              QSO's in the "other" log is lost.

              If the database file which contains the contest log is simply copied from
              the old to the new computer all that is avoided.

              > If there is a problem with a log and a PC and N1MM has to be used on
              > another machine, is there any way of continuing at a certain serial
              > number, or does it have to be a fresh log? In other words, can a contest
              > be started at serial number 145 for example?
              >
              > 73 de Roger, G3LDI
            • G4LMW
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                I agree with Ted

                However, I was answering the specific question "is it possible to start a
                log with a serial other than 1?"

                Ted - would you not need to copy the config file across too?

                Rob, G4LMW

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                  Hi Rob,

                  Yes, we both were actually addressing different questions.

                  But your question about the config file (N1MM Logger.ini) - unless the
                  computers have identical configurations with respect to ports, file
                  locations, etc. I would not recommend copying the config to the new
                  computer. Just let the new computer use its own N1MM config file. Even
                  copying the database to the new computer may require some hardware
                  re-configuration to align with the new computer's setup when opening a
                  contest in that database.

                  > While Rob's suggestion works well, you will end up with partial logs on
                  > two
                  > different computers and have to deal with that issue before sending a log
                  > the contest sponsor. Also, with a partial log the dupe-checking ability
                  > of
                  > QSO's in the "other" log is lost.
                  >
                  > If the database file which contains the contest log is simply copied from
                  > the old to the new computer all that is avoided.
                  >
                  > 73, Ted W4NZ

                • G4LMW
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                    Yes. Good point

                    Let N1MM build a new INI file.

                    > Yes, we both were actually addressing different questions.
                    >
                    > But your question about the config file (N1MM Logger.ini) - unless the
                    > computers have identical configurations with respect to ports, file
                    > locations, etc. I would not recommend copying the config to the new
                    > computer. Just let the new computer use its own N1MM config file. Even
                    > copying the database to the new computer may require some hardware
                    > re-configuration to align with the new computer's setup when opening a
                    > contest in that database.
                    >
                    > 73, Ted W4NZ

                  • W8HW
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                      Not true, as I explained in my question, I will only be using one computer and will not be sending logs in. So neither is possible. I think you are mixing me up with someone else. I tried his answer and it works great with none of the issues. Below are the questions that I asked. Again, I point out will not be sending in logs and will be staying on one computer. Rob's plan works perfect. Below is what I asked.

                      a.. I wish to operate only a few hours during a contest that uses serial numbers.
                      b.. I wish to use my standard log in (N1MM) that has 8000 contacts in it.
                      c.. Want to start the contest with serial number starting at 001 or at least not the 8000.
                      My question how do I get it to reset to one (1) or some other number and ignore the above contacts?

                      Above is what I posted and started the string "serial number" on May 28. Rob's answer hit the "bull's eye". Thank you Rob for thinking about the question actually asked.

                      Many thanks, Bruce

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                        Hey Bruce, it probably isn't the best practice to publicly bite the hand
                        that tries to feed you, even if you don't like the answer or, as in this
                        case, your query was misunderstood. Ted is the consummate example of a
                        total volunteer, who answers hundreds of user questions a year on this
                        reflector, and he doesn't deserve a public thrashing for an innocent
                        misunderstanding.

                        73, Pete N4ZR

                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                        On 6/2/2011 4:43 PM, W8HW wrote:
                        > Not true, as I explained in my question, I will only be using one computer and will not be sending logs in. So neither is possible. I think you are mixing me up with someone else. I tried his answer and it works great with none of the issues. Below are the questions that I asked. Again, I point out will not be sending in logs and will be staying on one computer. Rob's plan works perfect. Below is what I asked.
                        >
                        > a.. I wish to operate only a few hours during a contest that uses serial numbers.
                        > b.. I wish to use my standard log in (N1MM) that has 8000 contacts in it.
                        > c.. Want to start the contest with serial number starting at 001 or at least not the 8000.
                        > My question how do I get it to reset to one (1) or some other number and ignore the above contacts?
                        >
                        > Above is what I posted and started the string "serial number" on May 28. Rob's answer hit the "bull's eye". Thank you Rob for thinking about the question actually asked.
                        >
                        > Many thanks, Bruce

                      • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                          Everyone needs to read more carefully!

                          There are TWO threads

                          1) Question about Serial number
                          and
                          2) Serial number

                          In THIS thread (#2), I never saw the questions regarding a.., b.., or
                          c.. Those were the questions in thread #1.

                          73 de Bob - K├śRC in MN

                          On 6/2/2011 3:43 PM, W8HW wrote:

                          > Not true, as I explained in my question, I will only be using one
                          > computer and will not be sending logs in. So neither is possible. I
                          > think you are mixing me up with someone else. I tried his answer and
                          > it works great with none of the issues. Below are the questions that I
                          > asked. Again, I point out will not be sending in logs and will be
                          > staying on one computer. Rob's plan works perfect. Below is what I asked.
                          >
                          > a.. I wish to operate only a few hours during a contest that uses
                          > serial numbers.
                          > b.. I wish to use my standard log in (N1MM) that has 8000 contacts in it.
                          > c.. Want to start the contest with serial number starting at 001 or at
                          > least not the 8000.
                          > My question how do I get it to reset to one (1) or some other number
                          > and ignore the above contacts?
                          >
                          > Above is what I posted and started the string "serial number" on May
                          > 28. Rob's answer hit the "bull's eye". Thank you Rob for thinking
                          > about the question actually asked.
                          >
                          > Many thanks, Bruce

                        • W8HW
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                            Its NOT that I don't like the answer, I don't like a wrong answer or a not thought out answer. By that I mean not reading the question and failing to find out what the person asking the question wants, then inserting his feeling into it. I have never figured out why people do that. Never answer a question until you first figure out what the question is. Don't you think that is good advice?

                            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                              Sorry for the confusion, Bruce. As Rob has already pointed out, apparently
                              we were both answering different questions. I was attempting to respond to a
                              question from Roger G3LDI which is at the bottom of this message.

                              Obviously if you are only using a single computer my response is immediately
                              disqualified.

                              73, Ted W4NZ

                              ...SK dit dit...

                              > If there is a problem with a log and a PC and N1MM has to be used on
                              > another machine, is there any way of continuing at a certain serial
                              > number, or does it have to be a fresh log? In other words, can a contest
                              > be started at serial number 145 for example?
                              >
                              > 73 de Roger, G3LDI
                            • PA0MIR
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 3, 2011
                                That is the way, even if you wish to send in your log you can do it this way.
                                I used the same procedure in the ARI contest when making RTTY QSO's, which for me is not possible in N1MM somehow but I can do it in MixW, then to adjust the seraial numbers I just have to correct the first new contact after a string of RTTY QSO's and post-contest I import the QSO's from MixW into N1MM to get correct Cabrillo file (if I remember correctly I had to also adjust the Italian received sections but that is fairly quickly done as the ADIF name from MixW did not correspond to N1MM name.
                                All this because my CAT is only running in one direction somehow after some mishap in the past with Kenwood TS450S. I still can get the rig to adjust frequency but no readout from it.