Cut Number Styles

  • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
    Message 1 of 10 , May 27, 2011
      Hello,

      I was reading in the manual about the different cut number styles.

      I couldn´t find a way to send number 1 as a A when you are in the thousands.
      For example 1290 like A290.

      There´s an option but also send 9 like N and 0 like T, and I only want to
      send 1 as A and remain with the 9 as 9 and the 0 as 0.

      Thanks,

      Jorge CX6VM

      CW5W in WPX CW

    • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
      Message 2 of 10 , May 27, 2011
        The >Config >Function Keys >Cut Number Style – TAN (TA2345678NT) sends a cut 1 as an A

        -larry
        K8UT

        Message 3 of 10 , May 31, 2011
          Hello,

          after WPX, I want to ask if it´s possible to add "leading A" or "all A" options under The >Config >Function Keys >Cut Number Styles

          When you reach the 1000 QSO´s, will be better to have the option to send the first “1” of 1xxx like an “A” (you will do it for one thousands QSO´s!) remaining the other numbers like they are.

          Thanks,

          Jorge

          CX6VM/CW5W

          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2011
            I would be confused by mixed cut definitions for one digit within one report – sending a cut “A” as the first digit but an uncut “1” in any other location in the report.

            Report 1xx1 = Axx1 (?)

            Probably better to be consistent throughout your reports.

            -larry
            K8UT

            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2011
              you are right Larry,

              maybe we can have the two options like we have for T and N ("leading A" and "all A")

              73,

              Jorge

              CX6VM/CW5W

              Message 6 of 10 , May 31, 2011
                I guess I must ask the question - do you REALLY save that much time, and
                what happens to your RBN reports?

                I understand/expect T and N, but once folks start throwing in a mix of
                letters/numbers, start expecting requests for repeats, or if I cannot figure
                out what the hell folks are sending - well - its hard to log what you cannot
                figure out for an exchange. Expect a quick NIL (and I hope you get it), and
                I am gone... Take the extra 10 milliseconds, and send what the other op is
                expecting. So much for saving time.

                Tom - VE3CX

                On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                <cx6vm.jorge@...>wrote:

                > you are right Larry,
                >
                > maybe we can have the two options like we have for T and N ("leading A" and
                > "all A")
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Jorge
                >
                > CX6VM/CW5W

              • Tommy Alderman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2011
                  I totally agree with Tom! You send me cut numbers other than 'T' and 'N' and
                  if I don't copy on the first try, you became NIL for me. Reduce problems you
                  generate on the rcving end by being practical.

                  Tom - W4BQF

                  <cx6vm.jorge@...>wrote:

                  > you are right Larry,
                  >
                  > maybe we can have the two options like we have for T and N ("leading A"
                  and
                  > "all A")
                  >
                  > 73,
                  >
                  > Jorge
                  >
                  > CX6VM/CW5W

                • N1MM
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2011
                    And W4BQF has some skills copying cw...

                    http://qrqcw.bandcamp.com/track/n8ln-and-w4bqf-side-b

                    Tom - N1MM

                    On 6/1/2011 7:27 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
                    > I totally agree with Tom! You send me cut numbers other than 'T' and 'N' and
                    > if I don't copy on the first try, you became NIL for me. Reduce problems you
                    > generate on the rcving end by being practical.
                    >
                    > Tom - W4BQF

                  • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2011
                      Tom,

                      I don´t think you cannot copy me right J

                      So why are this different options of cut numbers in N1MM? I just ask for
                      another option, anyone can decide to use it or not.

                      I don´t know why only “T” and “N” are allowed, I need to read more about
                      that.

                      But if it´s a bad idea, maybe the best thing to do is to erase from N1MM the
                      options to cut numbers, so we will reduce problems on the receiving end at
                      all.

                      I found that with very weak signals, sending a “A” helps to allow the other
                      side to copy me right.

                      73,

                      Jorge

                      CX6VM/CW5W

                      <cx6vm.jorge@... <mailto:cx6vm.jorge%40gmail.com> >wrote:

                      > you are right Larry,
                      >
                      > maybe we can have the two options like we have for T and N ("leading A"
                      and
                      > "all A")
                      >
                      > 73,
                      >
                      > Jorge
                      >
                      > CX6VM/CW5W
                      >
                      > De: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > I would be confused by mixed cut definitions for one digit within one
                      > report – sending a cut “A” as the first digit but an uncut “1” in any
                      other
                      > location in the report.
                      >
                      > Report 1xx1 = Axx1 (?)
                      >
                      > Probably better to be consistent throughout your reports.
                      >
                      > -larry
                      > K8UT

                    • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2011
                        Tom,

                        sending A instead of 1 thousand times, of course save time.
                        But if you not believe me, you can test it, sending 1000 trough 1100 and
                        take the time you need to do that. Then do the same sending A000 to A100.

                        Maybe anyone have a preference, so why N1MM have different options, anyone
                        can choose what they prefer. I personally don´t like sending ALL cut
                        numbers.

                        And if I am in S&P and I call a station, I give it the full numbers (1409
                        and never A4TN for example). And 90% of my S&P QSO´s I heard it before so I
                        know the number he is sending to the other stations, so I will be sure the
                        number he will give me.

                        So in the other side, when I am running, I think that the stations calling
                        me are listening me, so they are listening me sending consistently a serial
                        number that ALWAYS start with A. Of course I didn´t send one time with A and
                        the next QSO with 1 and after that with A..... this is a mess.

                        If you are consistent it´s easy to the other side to know what are you
                        sending.

                        So the resume is that I ask if it´s possible to have another option (Leading
                        A) for cut numbers. If the people that know, say that is not good, that´s OK
                        for me.

                        73,
                        Jorge
                        CX6VM/CW5W