Re: ICOM 738 (previously mis-typed as 739)

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2011
      Hi Dennis,
      so is it correct that you are connecting to the rigs TTL port with
      a serial connection via a level converter since I think you were
      wanting to read the frequency, is that right? you have to use a level converter on the TTL port to read frequency or do any rig control.
      The accessory port is for the audio and ptt/keying circuits. I always
      used a cheap one from an Ebay seller it was USB (prolific USB) to TTL cost like $7.00. comes with a driver from Beagle? I think the seller was KAWA. It has the level convrter built in, don't waste money buying the CT17 level converter from Icom...way overpriced.

      Keith AB8CL

      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "k9wms" <k9wms@...> wrote:

      > I wonder if anyone is still using an Icom 738 with N1MM Logger v11.x. I am trying to set up a friend's one year old Vista machine with N1MM Logger and a serial interface. I added a dual RS-232 board that also has a single paralell port I plan to use for keying, but first things first.
      >
      > According to Vista, the add-on board is working properly. The 738 was
      > previously setup for TR Log at 1200 baud and Icon 44H programming. Device Manager says that the new COMM Ports are 4 and 5. N1MM says that with COMM port interface the settings should be 1200 baud, 8,1,1, Always On and Always On.
      >
      > So that's how I set Comm4. When I close the Configure menu I don't get the message that the radio is not available on Comm4. So all would appear to be correct. But there's no connection to the radio. Neither Bandmap or the Log entry window show a correct frequency.
      >
      > Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if you are operating a 738 with the latest Logger, I'd much appreciate knowing what settings you are using.
      >
      > 73,
      > Dennis/K9WMS

    • John Bednar
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2011
        Dennis,

        Try changing the radio and the program baud rate to 9600.
        Some of the older Icom owners have reported issues with 1200 baud.

        John, K3CT

        Feb 3, 2011 05:44:04 PM, N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com wrote:

[...]

      • k9wms
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
          Keith,

          The interface I have is one that my friend had previously used with HamLog and TR Log. I have no reason to believe there is a problem with that. If it worked with those programs it should work with N1MM Logger.

          The only differences between what he had running and what he is running now is that the new computer is a 64-bit system instead of a 32-bit system, and he has Vista instead of Windows XP.

          I don't know what to do next and could sure use some help.

          Thanks,
          Dennis/K9WMS

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <ab8cl@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dennis,
          > so is it correct that you are connecting to the rigs TTL port with
          > a serial connection via a level converter since I think you were
          > wanting to read the frequency, is that right? you have to use a level converter on the TTL port to read frequency or do any rig control.
          > The accessory port is for the audio and ptt/keying circuits. I always
          > used a cheap one from an Ebay seller it was USB (prolific USB) to TTL cost like $7.00. comes with a driver from Beagle? I think the seller was KAWA. It has the level convrter built in, don't waste money buying the CT17 level converter from Icom...way overpriced.
          >
          > Keith AB8CL
          >
          > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "k9wms" <k9wms@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I wonder if anyone is still using an Icom 738 with N1MM Logger v11.x. I am trying to set up a friend's one year old Vista machine with N1MM Logger and a serial interface. I added a dual RS-232 board that also has a single paralell port I plan to use for keying, but first things first.
          > >
          > > According to Vista, the add-on board is working properly. The 738 was
          > > previously setup for TR Log at 1200 baud and Icon 44H programming. Device Manager says that the new COMM Ports are 4 and 5. N1MM says that with COMM port interface the settings should be 1200 baud, 8,1,1, Always On and Always On.
          > >
          > > So that's how I set Comm4. When I close the Configure menu I don't get the message that the radio is not available on Comm4. So all would appear to be correct. But there's no connection to the radio. Neither Bandmap or the Log entry window show a correct frequency.
          > >
          > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if you are operating a 738 with the latest Logger, I'd much appreciate knowing what settings you are using.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Dennis/K9WMS

        • John Bednar
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
            Dennis,

            Have you tried the suggestion in message # 73861?

            John, K3CT

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
              I'm afraid that it is doubtful to say that an interface that worked with
              TRLog (a DOS program) and Hamlog (whatever that is) "should work with
              N1MM Logger," particularly given the switch from XP to Vista and 32 to
              64-bit. Have you verified that the serial port on the new machine works
              with another serial device? Have you checked the address of COM4 on the
              new add-on card and made sure that N1MM has the same address in the port
              settings?

              73, Pete N4ZR

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com