telnet timeout

  • Cal Jeanroy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2011
      Hello and Happy New Year to the group!

      I continually have problems with my Telnet connection timing out, even
      though I have set the timeout function for the max. Is there something I am
      missing to keep it alive without having to keep logging back on?

      Thanks!

      Cal W0IZL (W7IZL)

    • N1MM
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2011
        If you are referring to "Packet Spot Timeout" that doesn't do that.
        That determines how long spots remain in your system. It should be set
        to a max of 30 minutes or so during non contest operation, 20 minutes or
        less with contest operation, 15 minutes or less with skimmer.

        If you keep losing your connection, try a few other telnet nodes. If
        all have the same problem, check your internet connection reliability --
        I know 160 meter signals will knock out my dsl. I am building a filter
        for it. See

        http://www.ddxg.dk/oz7c/adsl/adsl_160m_filter.pdf

        73,
        Tom - N1MM

        On 1/6/2011 8:17 PM, Cal Jeanroy wrote:
        > Hello and Happy New Year to the group!
        >

        > I continually have problems with my Telnet connection timing out, even
        > though I have set the timeout function for the max. Is there something I am
        > missing to keep it alive without having to keep logging back on?
        >

        > Thanks!
        >

        > Cal W0IZL (W7IZL)

      • bconwell
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2011
          I, too, suffer from telnet dropping, and having to repeatedly reconnect. I don't think it's an ISP issue, as I'm connected to a process on the same computer, i.e., the VE7CC program. That program keeps churning out spots reliably day-in and day-out. But the telnet window will sometimes stop receiving them - which I typically don't notice until the bandmap looks sparse, and then I see the last spot in the telnet window is ~30 minutes old. I then have to use the Telnet dialog disconnect button, reconnect, and SH/MYDX to try and make up for the missed spots.

          I've tried changing the priority of the N1MM process from 'normal' to 'high.' That might make some difference, but only slightly. I've also tried shutting down other programs, e.g., IE, that might be hogging resources. But the problem persists. I'm using a c. 2010 desktop with plenty of horsepower.

          I gather numerous people have this issue, but we just learn to live with it. I wish there was a fix.

          73,

          /Bill, K2PO/7

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM <tfwagner@...> wrote:

          > If you are referring to "Packet Spot Timeout" that doesn't do that.
          > That determines how long spots remain in your system. It should be set
          > to a max of 30 minutes or so during non contest operation, 20 minutes or
          > less with contest operation, 15 minutes or less with skimmer.
          >
          > If you keep losing your connection, try a few other telnet nodes. If
          > all have the same problem, check your internet connection reliability --
          > I know 160 meter signals will knock out my dsl. I am building a filter
          > for it. See
          >
          > http://www.ddxg.dk/oz7c/adsl/adsl_160m_filter.pdf
          >

          > 73,
          > Tom - N1MM
          >

          > On 1/6/2011 8:17 PM, Cal Jeanroy wrote:
          > > Hello and Happy New Year to the group!
          > >

          > > I continually have problems with my Telnet connection timing out, even
          > > though I have set the timeout function for the max. Is there something I am
          > > missing to keep it alive without having to keep logging back on?
          > >

          > > Thanks!
          > >

          > > Cal W0IZL (W7IZL)

        • John Bednar
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2011
            Bill,

            Have you tested more another telnet source? If not try connecting to a node for an experiment before placing the blame on your computer speed, program priority, or contest program.

            Also, don't overlook the possibility that your RF is causing the internet connection to reset. This is quite popular.

            John, K3CT

            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM wrote:

            > If you are referring to "Packet Spot Timeout" that doesn't do that.
            > That determines how long spots remain in your system. It should be set
            > to a max of 30 minutes or so during non contest operation, 20 minutes or
            > less with contest operation, 15 minutes or less with skimmer.
            >
            > If you keep losing your connection, try a few other telnet nodes. If
            > all have the same problem, check your internet connection reliability --
            > I know 160 meter signals will knock out my dsl. I am building a filter
            > for it. See
            >
            > http://www.ddxg.dk/oz7c/adsl/adsl_160m_filter.pdf
            >

            > 73,
            > Tom - N1MM
            >

            > On 1/6/2011 8:17 PM, Cal Jeanroy wrote:
            > > Hello and Happy New Year to the group!
            > >

            > > I continually have problems with my Telnet connection timing out, even
            > > though I have set the timeout function for the max. Is there something I am
            > > missing to keep it alive without having to keep logging back on?
            > >

            > > Thanks!
            > >

            > > Cal W0IZL (W7IZL)

          • n2jdq2009
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2011
              I know my RF does NASTY stuff to my internet.. random drop outs.. usually on 40 and 30m. Too bad they dont make a fully sheilded (metal case) multiport wireles N router.

              -Steve Raas
              N2JDQ

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, John Bednar <k3ct@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > Have you tested more another telnet source? If not try connecting to a node for an experiment before placing the blame on your computer speed, program priority, or contest program.
              >
              > Also, don't overlook the possibility that your RF is causing the internet connection to reset. This is quite popular.
              >
              > John, K3CT
              >

              > Feb 25, 2011 01:21:24 AM, N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              >
              > I, too, suffer from telnet dropping, and having to repeatedly reconnect. I don't think it's an ISP issue, as I'm connected to a process on the same computer, i.e., the VE7CC program. That program keeps churning out spots reliably day-in and day-out. But the telnet window will sometimes stop receiving them - which I typically don't notice until the bandmap looks sparse, and then I see the last spot in the telnet window is ~30 minutes old. I then have to use the Telnet dialog disconnect button, reconnect, and SH/MYDX to try and make up for the missed spots.
              >
              > I've tried changing the priority of the N1MM process from 'normal' to 'high.' That might make some difference, but only slightly. I've also tried shutting down other programs, e.g., IE, that might be hogging resources. But the problem persists. I'm using a c. 2010 desktop with plenty of horsepower.
              >
              > I gather numerous people have this issue, but we just learn to live with it. I wish there was a fix.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > /Bill, K2PO/7
              >
              > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM wrote:
              > >
              > > If you are referring to "Packet Spot Timeout" that doesn't do that.
              > > That determines how long spots remain in your system. It should be set
              > > to a max of 30 minutes or so during non contest operation, 20 minutes or
              > > less with contest operation, 15 minutes or less with skimmer.
              > >
              > > If you keep losing your connection, try a few other telnet nodes. If
              > > all have the same problem, check your internet connection reliability --
              > > I know 160 meter signals will knock out my dsl. I am building a filter
              > > for it. See
              > >
              > > http://www.ddxg.dk/oz7c/adsl/adsl_160m_filter.pdf
              > >

              > > 73,
              > > Tom - N1MM
              > >

              > > On 1/6/2011 8:17 PM, Cal Jeanroy wrote:
              > > > Hello and Happy New Year to the group!
              > > >

              > > > I continually have problems with my Telnet connection timing out, even
              > > > though I have set the timeout function for the max. Is there something I am
              > > > missing to keep it alive without having to keep logging back on?
              > > >

              > > > Thanks!
              > > >

              > > > Cal W0IZL (W7IZL)

            • Dave NJ4F
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2011
                I hadn't thought about it till you just mentioned it, but I use VE7CC also, and
                notice from time to time that the window is empty. I just thought no one was
                tere, but since I don't really use it, didn't give it another thought, too busy
                looking for you guys...hihi

                Dave Fuseler, NJ4F

                I, too, suffer from telnet dropping, and having to repeatedly reconnect. I
                don't think it's an ISP issue, as I'm connected to a process on the same
                computer, i.e., the VE7CC program. That program keeps churning out spots
                reliably day-in and day-out. But the telnet window will sometimes stop
                receiving them - which I typically don't notice until the bandmap looks sparse,
                and then I see the last spot in the telnet window is ~30 minutes old. I then
                have to use the Telnet dialog disconnect button, reconnect, and SH/MYDX to try
                and make up for the missed spots.

                I've tried changing the priority of the N1MM process from 'normal' to 'high.'
                That might make some difference, but only slightly. I've also tried shutting
                down other programs, e.g., IE, that might be hogging resources. But the
                problem persists. I'm using a c. 2010 desktop with plenty of horsepower.

                I gather numerous people have this issue, but we just learn to live with it. I
                wish there was a fix.

                73,

                /Bill, K2PO/7

                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM <tfwagner@...> wrote:

                > If you are referring to "Packet Spot Timeout" that doesn't do that.
                > That determines how long spots remain in your system. It should be
                > set to a max of 30 minutes or so during non contest operation, 20
                > minutes or less with contest operation, 15 minutes or less with skimmer.
                >
                > If you keep losing your connection, try a few other telnet nodes. If
                > all have the same problem, check your internet connection reliability
                > -- I know 160 meter signals will knock out my dsl. I am building a filter
                > for it. See
                >
                > http://www.ddxg.dk/oz7c/adsl/adsl_160m_filter.pdf
                >

                > 73,
                > Tom - N1MM
                >

                > On 1/6/2011 8:17 PM, Cal Jeanroy wrote:
                > > Hello and Happy New Year to the group!
                > >

                > > I continually have problems with my Telnet connection timing out,
                > > even though I have set the timeout function for the max. Is there
                > > something I am missing to keep it alive without having to keep logging back
                on?

                > > Thanks!
                > >

                > > Cal W0IZL (W7IZL)

              • Wayne
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 25, 2011
                  Bill,
                  If you have VE7CC running, connect to it with it's internal connection.
                  I use VE7CC to connect to the cluster and then connect all my programs
                  to VE7CC on my computer. VE7CC has a nice "keep alive" which is
                  probably why you don't see it connect or disconnect.

                  73

                  Wayne WA1PMA

                  On 2/24/2011 10:21 PM, bconwell wrote:
                  > I, too, suffer from telnet dropping, and having to repeatedly reconnect. I don't think it's an ISP issue, as I'm connected to a process on the same computer, i.e., the VE7CC program. That program keeps churning out spots reliably day-in and day-out. But the telnet window will sometimes stop receiving them - which I typically don't notice until the bandmap looks sparse, and then I see the last spot in the telnet window is ~30 minutes old. I then have to use the Telnet dialog disconnect button, reconnect, and SH/MYDX to try and make up for the missed spots.
                  >
                  > I've tried changing the priority of the N1MM process from 'normal' to 'high.' That might make some difference, but only slightly. I've also tried shutting down other programs, e.g., IE, that might be hogging resources. But the problem persists. I'm using a c. 2010 desktop with plenty of horsepower.
                  >
                  > I gather numerous people have this issue, but we just learn to live with it. I wish there was a fix.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  >
                  > /Bill, K2PO/7
                  >
                  > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM<tfwagner@...> wrote:
                  >> If you are referring to "Packet Spot Timeout" that doesn't do that.
                  >> That determines how long spots remain in your system. It should be set
                  >> to a max of 30 minutes or so during non contest operation, 20 minutes or
                  >> less with contest operation, 15 minutes or less with skimmer.
                  >>
                  >> If you keep losing your connection, try a few other telnet nodes. If
                  >> all have the same problem, check your internet connection reliability --
                  >> I know 160 meter signals will knock out my dsl. I am building a filter
                  >> for it. See
                  >>
                  >> http://www.ddxg.dk/oz7c/adsl/adsl_160m_filter.pdf
                  >>

                  >> 73,
                  >> Tom - N1MM
                  >>

                  >> On 1/6/2011 8:17 PM, Cal Jeanroy wrote:
                  >>> Hello and Happy New Year to the group!
                  >>>

                  >>> I continually have problems with my Telnet connection timing out, even
                  >>> though I have set the timeout function for the max. Is there something I am
                  >>> missing to keep it alive without having to keep logging back on?
                  >>>

                  >>> Thanks!
                  >>>

                  >>> Cal W0IZL (W7IZL)

                • bconwell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2011
                    Thanks to folks for their respective responses.

                    Wayne - if I understand you correctly, about connecting to VE7CC with its internal connection, that's what I'm doing. That is, I direct the N1MM packet window to connect to an IP address that I think identifies VE7CC as running on my machine. (It's 127.0.0.1:7300, and I set the Telnet window to connect to CC User.)

                    The spots fed to N1MM are filtered, per the applied settings in the local VE7CC software.

                    So although RF in the shack can cause all kinds of havoc, I don't think it's the source of this problem, because the N1MM packet window isn't connecting to a remote computer thru the router; instead, it's talking to a process in the same computer. (Maybe I'm naive, in which case I'd welcome straightening-out, e.g., is my router box "in the loop" between my N1MM software and my VE7CC software?)

                    VE7CC seems rock solid. If there are any disconnections, I'm unaware of them. (I know VE7CC has a reconnect feature, so perhaps it's disconnecting occasionally, and it simply recovers without me being the wiser.)

                    I first experienced this disconnect problem before I installed VE7CC. I'd connect to K1TTT, or K7AR, or another telnet cluster, and things would go fine for a while. And then after an unpredictable interval, it would simply stop working - without any error indication. I'd then have to close the port, and re-establish a session. So it seems to be in a common element, e.g., the N1MM packet software, or some other component that is used with it.

                    If N1MM is somehow dropping, momentarily, its connection to 127.0.0.1:7300, it would be nice if it would automatically reconnect.

                    Does anyone know if N1MM's packet software attempts a reconnect? Is this something that could be coded/added?

                    tnx/73,

                    Bill, K2PO/7

                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Wayne <wa1pma@...> wrote:

                    > Bill,
                    > If you have VE7CC running, connect to it with it's internal connection.
                    > I use VE7CC to connect to the cluster and then connect all my programs
                    > to VE7CC on my computer. VE7CC has a nice "keep alive" which is
                    > probably why you don't see it connect or disconnect.
                    >
                    > 73
                    >
                    > Wayne WA1PMA
                    >
                    > On 2/24/2011 10:21 PM, bconwell wrote:
                    > > I, too, suffer from telnet dropping, and having to repeatedly reconnect. I don't think it's an ISP issue, as I'm connected to a process on the same computer, i.e., the VE7CC program. That program keeps churning out spots reliably day-in and day-out. But the telnet window will sometimes stop receiving them - which I typically don't notice until the bandmap looks sparse, and then I see the last spot in the telnet window is ~30 minutes old. I then have to use the Telnet dialog disconnect button, reconnect, and SH/MYDX to try and make up for the missed spots.
                    > >
                    > > I've tried changing the priority of the N1MM process from 'normal' to 'high.' That might make some difference, but only slightly. I've also tried shutting down other programs, e.g., IE, that might be hogging resources. But the problem persists. I'm using a c. 2010 desktop with plenty of horsepower.
                    > >
                    > > I gather numerous people have this issue, but we just learn to live with it. I wish there was a fix.
                    > >
                    > > 73,
                    > >
                    > > /Bill, K2PO/7
                    > >
                    > > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM<tfwagner@> wrote:
                    > >> If you are referring to "Packet Spot Timeout" that doesn't do that.
                    > >> That determines how long spots remain in your system. It should be set
                    > >> to a max of 30 minutes or so during non contest operation, 20 minutes or
                    > >> less with contest operation, 15 minutes or less with skimmer.
                    > >>
                    > >> If you keep losing your connection, try a few other telnet nodes. If
                    > >> all have the same problem, check your internet connection reliability --
                    > >> I know 160 meter signals will knock out my dsl. I am building a filter
                    > >> for it. See
                    > >>
                    > >> http://www.ddxg.dk/oz7c/adsl/adsl_160m_filter.pdf
                    > >>

                    > >> 73,
                    > >> Tom - N1MM

                  • Wayne
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 28, 2011
                      Hi Bill,

                      Yes you have it setup the way I was suggesting. It's very rare
                      connecting this way to loose the cluster with any software on the same
                      computer since CC User handles the reconnect without doing anything to
                      the programs connected to it. That IP address is internal to the
                      computer so you would not be going out to the router this way.

                      Are you using any Software firewall other than what Windows supplies? If
                      you connect to a DXspider Cluster and let it just run for a while with
                      VE7CC, you can do a sh/log on the cmd line of VE7CC's CC user and you
                      will get several lines with dates showing whether you were disconnected
                      and/or reconnected to the cluster.

                      That still does not explain why N1MM is loosing CC User. That should be
                      rock solid as it all happens inside the one computer and most folks have
                      a very stable connection that way.

                      You can try using another program to the same 127.0.0.1:7300 and see if
                      it looses the cluster from CC User thereby narrowing down the area where
                      the problem is. Any telenet program can connect this way to CC User.

                      N1mm here ran fine connected through CC User all day Saturday and any
                      other time I've tried it.

                      73

                      Wayne WA1PMA

                    • bconwell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 1, 2011
                        Thanks Wayne,

                        I ran it last night and, of course, no problem...

                        I'll give your suggestions a try in the next contest environment (RF & lots of spots, etc.) and see what happens.