RE: [N1MM] Traps for the Unwary

    Message 1 of 60 , Jan 5, 2011
      The easiest way to avoid the problem is to simply turn ESM off in ssb and
      then you don't have to worry about automatic sending of F-key messages.

      I've tried the "all blank message" approach and, really, it goes against the
      philosophy of ESM.(Enter SENDS Message)

      In this situation (all blank messages) the only thing that leaving ESM
      active does is that it allows an automatic "tab" to the first received
      exchange field. Additional exchange elements in contests like the NAQP still
      require a manual spacebar keystroke. (type call, hit enter then spacebar vs.
      type call hit spacebar, spacebar)

      Compared to a quick "Control-M" to simply turn ESM off it hardly seems worth
      the programming.

      My .02

      HNY!

      Message 60 of 60 , Jan 5, 2011
        What a wonderful teaching opportunity you have at FD. We had a similar
        situation at our FD last year with most of our operators not familiar with
        N1MM. Some had never used computer logging! We kept things very simple. The
        "default" setup was with ESM (and DVK on SSB)turned off, allowing the new
        operators - most were on ssb - to become comfortable with the basic logging
        functions first. The more experienced ops could set up the dvk messages if
        they wanted. Those who were more familiar with N1MM on cw already knew
        about ESM and how to turn it on/off and they helped coach the others.