RE: [WriteLog] Suggestions for RTTY RU

  • Ed Muns
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
      Hi, Dick! Thanks to you and the several others who have contributed to this
      thread. I agree with most of the points and admit that I do get anxious
      when contest exchanges are not snappy. I suspect, though, that few of the
      readers on these reflectors send long exchanges. Most of the arguably too
      long transmissions come from well-meaning casual participants whose only
      interest in a contest is having an abundance of stations to work and
      possibly pursuit of QSOs for awards. Despite my personal frustration with
      unnecessarily long contest transmissions, I also am very thankful that these
      casual stations get on the air to help fill my log. So, it's a mixed bag.

      I feel the best way to deal with this issue is to make sure we don't
      intimidate or scare off the many casual participants who make up a large
      share of our log entries. By graciously accepting them in our activity and
      showing by example how contest exchanges should be made, I believe in time
      many of them will improve their style. This is a great outcome ... growing
      participation and growing contesting skill!

      Ed - W0YK

    • Jim Brown
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
        I'd like to echo Ed's comments here. I always try to take that approach. My pet peeve is "please copy," and on SSB, I'll frequently say in my QSL, "Please lose the 'please copy,' it's a time waster."

        Another VERY important point. On CW and SSB, our ears tell us if we might not have gotten an exchange or callsign right, but on RTTY, you don't know until you've copied it twice. So I ALWAYS send the variable parts of a RTTY exchange twice, and I don't QSL until I've copied it twice. I don't repeat 599, of course. Even with these precautions, my error rate on RTTY is higher than on CW and SSB.

        73, Jim K9YC

        --- On Sun, 1/2/11, Ed Muns <w0yk@...> wrote:

        > I feel the best way to deal with this issue is to make sure
        > we don't
        > intimidate or scare off the many casual participants who
        > make up a large
        > share of our log entries.  By graciously accepting
        > them in our activity and
        > showing by example how contest exchanges should be made, I
        > believe in time
        > many of them will improve their style.  This is a
        > great outcome ...  growing
        > participation and growing contesting skill!
      • Jack Swift - Swift Hardware
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
          thank you both for your comments - i'm one of those 'casual
          contesters' (only ssb) and appreciate the 'helpful hints' from those
          of you who are working hard to run up high scores. it's 'kinda kool'
          to be able to imitate the way 'the big guns' talk during a contest!

          On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Jim Brown <jwbro@...> wrote:
          > I'd like to echo Ed's comments here. I always try to take that approach. My pet peeve is "please copy," and on SSB, I'll frequently say in my QSL, "Please lose the 'please copy,' it's a time waster."
          >
          > Another VERY important point.  On CW and SSB, our ears tell us if we might not have gotten an exchange or callsign right, but on RTTY, you don't know until you've copied it twice. So I ALWAYS send the variable parts of a RTTY exchange twice, and I don't QSL until I've copied it twice. I don't repeat 599, of course. Even with these precautions, my error rate on RTTY is higher than on CW and SSB.
          >
          > 73, Jim K9YC
          >
          > --- On Sun, 1/2/11, Ed Muns <w0yk@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I feel the best way to deal with this issue is to make sure
          >> we don't
          >> intimidate or scare off the many casual participants who
          >> make up a large
          >> share of our log entries.  By graciously accepting
          >> them in our activity and
          >> showing by example how contest exchanges should be made, I
          >> believe in time
          >> many of them will improve their style.  This is a
          >> great outcome ...  growing
          >> participation and growing contesting skill!

          vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
          Jack Swift
          I.E. Swift Co.
          402 Shelden Ave.
          Houghton, MI 49931
          906-482-0530, 281-5300
          Radio:  N8WAV  EN57rc
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        • Jim Brown
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
            > caller is dropping their call in just once, or when calling
            > CQ and using their call (again) just once, a space should be added after
            > their callsign so the noise doesn't cause bad copy such as
            > K7VITZYX4R.
            >
            > The helpful space-at-the-end may also apply to the transmission of their
            > exchange also.

            Yes on both counts. A space or two is a good thing. But NOT CARRIAGE RETURNS, and never more than one CR -- some idiots seem to put a half dozen CRS at the end of every transmission, and I have to chase their call up the MMTTY decode screen to click on it to call them!

            73, Jim K9YC
          • Robert Chudek - K0RC
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
              So... Jim... you said you know how to turn off "AGN" in the ESM
              feature... but you would think those crafty N1MM Logger programmers
              would have added a feature to suppress excess line feeds when those
              digital clowns scroll all your paper out the back of the machine and
              create a waist deep pile of blank paper on the floor???

              Actually, those crafty N1MM Logger programmers DID come to the rescue
              (again)! Go to your Digital Interface window > Settings > General/MMTTY
              Setup tab > 3rd check box in the left column.

              What will they think of next???

              73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

              (Sent in good humor... I need a laugh today!) :-D

              Of course the thrifty RTTY operators will re-roll that pile of paper and
              print on the reverse side to double their mileage per roll.