Re: [N1MM] Help -- Wrong CQ zone coming up for my call sign

  • Robert Chudek - K0RC
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
      Larry, W6NWS wrote: "Programs like N1MM try to help us but even doing a
      call look-up of FCC data does not guarantee in which zone the station is
      actually operating..."

      If you really want to see how much N1MM has "helped you out", then call
      up your CQWW Log and right click in the Callsign field of the Entry
      Window. Select the "Suspect Zones" item. A list will be created with
      columns. The first column is the N1MM default "guess", most likely based
      upon the description Larry provided (highest percentage). The second
      column is what was logged. It will be the value that either came from
      the AD1C Super Check Partial database or what you manually typed into
      the CQ Zone field when logging the contact.

      Out of 500+ QSOs last weekend, the AD1C database "helped" me 50+ times
      by providing the proper CQ Zone value. Of course I was keeping my eye on
      the Zone field to make certain it showed the same number as what the
      operator told me. If it was different, I typed the number I heard before
      hitting Enter. I don't recall having the change many, if any.

      There's another report you can generate by selecting "Varying Zones."
      You should also look at that report and figure it out.

      73 de Bob - K├śRC in MN

      On 11/1/2010 2:07 PM, Larry wrote:

      > Ed suggested that the logger "guesses". It is not a guess. It has been
      > several years
      > since I looked at the FCC data but it was something like 70% of the W4
      > population
      > is in zone 5. The program needs a single choice so in the W4 case zone
      > 5 is the most
      > logical. Without other information (such as state) the zone 5 choice
      > could be incorrect
      > maybe 30% of the time. There is a similar split for W7 - most in zone
      > 3 but some in zone 4.
      >
      > Of course, since about 1978 the FCC has not required US hams to change
      > their call when
      > moving from call zone to call zone. It is still our individual
      > responsibility to ensure that we have the
      > correct zone in the log entry based on what the other station sent to
      > us. Programs like N1MM
      > try to help us but even doing a call lookup of FCC data does not
      > guarantee in which zone
      > the station is actually operating - you might be on the West coast for
      > the contest for example.
      > My granddaughter operated CQWW over the weekend as her first contest
      > and my advice to her
      > is to make sure that what gets put up by N1MM logger as the zone is in
      > fact what the other
      > station actually sent. If it is not, then she needed to change the
      > entry or possibly ask to be sure
      > she understood the other station correctly.
      >
      > 73, Larry W6NWS

    • Jim Reisert AD1C
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
        Please read this: