Re: [N1MM] Help -- Wrong CQ zone coming up for my call sign

  • w4phs
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1 10:31 AM
      Thank you. I have sent an e-mail to AD1C asking him to correct it.

      Phil, W4PHS

      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@...> wrote:

      > That is not where the data comes from. It comes from the WL_CTY
      > file. This is a file that lists all the anomalies in zones. Since W
      > covers 3 zones, the program doesn't know which zone to place you in,
      > so the default for a W4 is zone 5. It guesses. It doesn't have the
      > entire FCC database. If you want your call to be listed, contact the
      > file editor, AD1C.
      >

      > At 10/31/2010 05:39 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
      > >Phil,
      > >
      > >N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
      > >Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
      > >some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
      > >for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
      > >download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
      > >users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
      > >complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
      > >
      > >73,
      > >Tom - W4BQF

    • PA4JJ
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1 10:34 AM
        Hurraaa for the Vanity Calls

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "w4phs" <philsherrod@...> wrote:

        > Thank you. I have sent an e-mail to AD1C asking him to correct it.
        >
        > Phil, W4PHS
        >
        > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@> wrote:
        > >
        > > That is not where the data comes from. It comes from the WL_CTY
        > > file. This is a file that lists all the anomalies in zones. Since W
        > > covers 3 zones, the program doesn't know which zone to place you in,
        > > so the default for a W4 is zone 5. It guesses. It doesn't have the
        > > entire FCC database. If you want your call to be listed, contact the
        > > file editor, AD1C.
        > >

        > > At 10/31/2010 05:39 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
        > > >Phil,
        > > >
        > > >N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
        > > >Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
        > > >some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
        > > >for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
        > > >download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
        > > >users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
        > > >complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
        > > >
        > > >73,
        > > >Tom - W4BQF

      • Larry
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1 12:07 PM
          Ed suggested that the logger "guesses". It is not a guess. It has been several years
          since I looked at the FCC data but it was something like 70% of the W4 population
          is in zone 5. The program needs a single choice so in the W4 case zone 5 is the most
          logical. Without other information (such as state) the zone 5 choice could be incorrect
          maybe 30% of the time. There is a similar split for W7 - most in zone 3 but some in zone 4.

          Of course, since about 1978 the FCC has not required US hams to change their call when
          moving from call zone to call zone. It is still our individual responsibility to ensure that we have the
          correct zone in the log entry based on what the other station sent to us. Programs like N1MM
          try to help us but even doing a call lookup of FCC data does not guarantee in which zone
          the station is actually operating - you might be on the West coast for the contest for example.
          My granddaughter operated CQWW over the weekend as her first contest and my advice to her
          is to make sure that what gets put up by N1MM logger as the zone is in fact what the other
          station actually sent. If it is not, then she needed to change the entry or possibly ask to be sure
          she understood the other station correctly.

          73, Larry W6NWS
          Thank you. I have sent an e-mail to AD1C asking him to correct it.

          Phil, W4PHS

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@...> wrote:

          > That is not where the data comes from. It comes from the WL_CTY
          > file. This is a file that lists all the anomalies in zones. Since W
          > covers 3 zones, the program doesn't know which zone to place you in,
          > so the default for a W4 is zone 5. It guesses. It doesn't have the
          > entire FCC database. If you want your call to be listed, contact the
          > file editor, AD1C.
          >

          > At 10/31/2010 05:39 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
          > >Phil,
          > >
          > >N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
          > >Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
          > >some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
          > >for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
          > >download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
          > >users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
          > >complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
          > >
          > >73,
          > >Tom - W4BQF

        • Robert Chudek - K0RC
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1 3:48 PM
            Larry, W6NWS wrote: "Programs like N1MM try to help us but even doing a
            call look-up of FCC data does not guarantee in which zone the station is
            actually operating..."

            If you really want to see how much N1MM has "helped you out", then call
            up your CQWW Log and right click in the Callsign field of the Entry
            Window. Select the "Suspect Zones" item. A list will be created with
            columns. The first column is the N1MM default "guess", most likely based
            upon the description Larry provided (highest percentage). The second
            column is what was logged. It will be the value that either came from
            the AD1C Super Check Partial database or what you manually typed into
            the CQ Zone field when logging the contact.

            Out of 500+ QSOs last weekend, the AD1C database "helped" me 50+ times
            by providing the proper CQ Zone value. Of course I was keeping my eye on
            the Zone field to make certain it showed the same number as what the
            operator told me. If it was different, I typed the number I heard before
            hitting Enter. I don't recall having the change many, if any.

            There's another report you can generate by selecting "Varying Zones."
            You should also look at that report and figure it out.

            73 de Bob - K├śRC in MN

            On 11/1/2010 2:07 PM, Larry wrote:

            > Ed suggested that the logger "guesses". It is not a guess. It has been
            > several years
            > since I looked at the FCC data but it was something like 70% of the W4
            > population
            > is in zone 5. The program needs a single choice so in the W4 case zone
            > 5 is the most
            > logical. Without other information (such as state) the zone 5 choice
            > could be incorrect
            > maybe 30% of the time. There is a similar split for W7 - most in zone
            > 3 but some in zone 4.
            >
            > Of course, since about 1978 the FCC has not required US hams to change
            > their call when
            > moving from call zone to call zone. It is still our individual
            > responsibility to ensure that we have the
            > correct zone in the log entry based on what the other station sent to
            > us. Programs like N1MM
            > try to help us but even doing a call lookup of FCC data does not
            > guarantee in which zone
            > the station is actually operating - you might be on the West coast for
            > the contest for example.
            > My granddaughter operated CQWW over the weekend as her first contest
            > and my advice to her
            > is to make sure that what gets put up by N1MM logger as the zone is in
            > fact what the other
            > station actually sent. If it is not, then she needed to change the
            > entry or possibly ask to be sure
            > she understood the other station correctly.
            >
            > 73, Larry W6NWS

          • Jim Reisert AD1C
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1 4:16 PM
              Please read this: