Re: KH6YR is in KH6, zone 31 but got logged as K, zone 3

  • david
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi all, it occurs to me that it is time for conditions regarding assisted category or not to be withdrawn. As so many point out, the definition has become very fuzzy. We live in age of rapid advancement in the fields of technology and science that create new and exciting products and services almost daily. Mankind's inventiveness seems to have no limitations. Since being licenced and starting out as a novice contester where paper logs were written, checked and sent by letter to the contest organisers, I note we are now at the stage where some contests will no longer accept a written log demanding email entries only (thereby the use of a computer which is also assistance). Like it or not, we are going to have to accept this situation as being the contemporary standard. No one could imagine 40 years ago that such technology would be available but nowadays (in theory) it is possible to work a contest from your mobile phone whilst on vacation in the Antarctic.
      In the field of contesting, it is obvious how much cash you spend on equipment and antennas (and their placement) that produces results, therefore the different categories of entry in contests. Motor racing went through all these stages (size of engine, suction fans, spoilers, tyres etc) which changed the rules year by year to ensure that racing was conducted as evenly as possible, only the ability of the driver was supposed to win the race. We contest on a worldwide basis with little or no checking on how entries are made - assisted/non assisted, power High/Low, Skimmer type applications, internet connections to complete a contact that otherwise would have not been logged - it is up to the honesty of the ham to control his or her entry.
      IMHO either we take away all the assisted rules and make it a free for all thus levelling the playing field, or insist on some form of standardised entry (same transceivers, antennas, power, operating conditions etc). There will always be those who will read and interpret the rules to gain an advantage over the rest of the field but that's life. We have to live with it.
      73's to all Dave 5b4age

    • n1nk
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 1, 2010
        only item that was greyed out was the country prefix, K, and this is the detail that led to my confusion. and my query and a hundred billion or so follow on posts. I could and did change everything else that needed changing.

        Jim