Help -- Wrong CQ zone coming up for my call sign

  • w4phs
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
      I entered my call sign in the N1MM form for the CQ WW contest and discovered that it automatically fills in the wrong CQ zone.

      My call sign is W4PHS, and I live in Tennessee, so the CQ zone should be 4, but N1MM puts in 5 instead. QRZ.com correctly shows CQ zone 4 for my call.

      This is a vanity call sign that I've had for about 15 months. The prior holder was in CQ zone 5, so I'm guessing the info was left around from then.

      How can I update the master database used by N1MM to change the zone from 5 to 4?

      Phil, W4PHS
    • Tommy Alderman
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
        Phil,

        N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
        Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
        some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
        for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
        download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
        users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
        complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!

        73,
        Tom - W4BQF

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
          That is not where the data comes from. It comes from the WL_CTY
          file. This is a file that lists all the anomalies in zones. Since W
          covers 3 zones, the program doesn't know which zone to place you in,
          so the default for a W4 is zone 5. It guesses. It doesn't have the
          entire FCC database. If you want your call to be listed, contact the
          file editor, AD1C.

          At 10/31/2010 05:39 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
          >Phil,
          >
          >N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
          >Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
          >some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
          >for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
          >download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
          >users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
          >complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
          >
          >73,
          >Tom - W4BQF

        • Tommy Alderman
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
            Ed,

            What you say is correct for stations you work and log into N1MM. However
            one's own station information comes from 'Station Data' in the Config menu.

            Tom - W4BQF

            That is not where the data comes from. It comes from the WL_CTY
            file. This is a file that lists all the anomalies in zones. Since W
            covers 3 zones, the program doesn't know which zone to place you in,
            so the default for a W4 is zone 5. It guesses. It doesn't have the
            entire FCC database. If you want your call to be listed, contact the
            file editor, AD1C.

            At 10/31/2010 05:39 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
            >Phil,
            >
            >N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
            >Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save
            yourself
            >some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is
            correct
            >for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
            >download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives
            new
            >users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
            >complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
            >
            >73,
            >Tom - W4BQF

          • Ed K1EP
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
              At 10/31/2010 06:58 AM, you wrote:
              >Ed,
              >
              >What you say is correct for stations you work and log into N1MM. However
              >one's own station information comes from 'Station Data' in the Config menu.

              If you do not enter a zone in your station information, the program
              will use the WL_CTY file to determine the zone and bring up a popup
              window to tell you it automatically entered that zone for you. A W4
              by default will be zone 5.

            • w4phs
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
                Tom,

                During the CQ DX contest, if you enter a call sign in the call sign field and press Tab, N1MM will fill in 59 in the sent/received fields, and it will fill in the CQ zone of that call sign in the CQ Zone field. Obviously, it's not getting the CQ zone for call signs all over the world from information I entered in N1MM. It must be looking it up from some database. When I enter my call sign and press Tab, it shows CQ zone 5 rather than 4. I have had to confirm after numerous QSOs that my call sign really is 4 rather than 5 which is what the other station is seeing.

                The problem is not related to the information I configured which correctly has CQ zone 4. It is coming from some database or Internet lookup.

                Phil, W4PHS

                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy Alderman" <aldermant@...> wrote:

                > Phil,
                >
                > N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
                > Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
                > some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
                > for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
                > download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
                > users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
                > complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
                >
                > 73,
                > Tom - W4BQF

              • w4phs
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
                  Exactly right. And the ham I'm working thinks my CQ zone is 5 rather than 4 because that's what N1MM fills in on THEIR screen. The CQ zone being displayed by their programs is coming from something other than my configuration.

                • w4phs
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
                    The zone is not wrong on my computer. The problem is that the default displayed zone for my call is wrong on the other ham's computer. Obviously that is not dependent on my configuration. However, my configuration has the correct CQ zone anyway.

                    Phil, W4PHS

                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@...> wrote:

                    > At 10/31/2010 06:58 AM, you wrote:
                    > >Ed,
                    > >
                    > >What you say is correct for stations you work and log into N1MM. However
                    > >one's own station information comes from 'Station Data' in the Config menu.
                    >
                    > If you do not enter a zone in your station information, the program
                    > will use the WL_CTY file to determine the zone and bring up a popup
                    > window to tell you it automatically entered that zone for you. A W4
                    > by default will be zone 5.
                    >

                    > >Tom - W4BQF

                  • Larry
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
                      If you look at wl_cty.dat file which provides lookup info for a N1MM most (but not all) W4 calls
                      are in zone 5 so that is the default. Without more info (such as state) you cannot be sure which
                      zone the call is located. W7 has a similar problem. There are some calls, like mine, that have specific
                      info about which zone I am located.

                      73, Larry W6NWS
                      During the CQ DX contest, if you enter a call sign in the call sign field and press Tab, N1MM will fill in 59 in the sent/received fields, and it will fill in the CQ zone of that call sign in the CQ Zone field. Obviously, it's not getting the CQ zone for call signs all over the world from information I entered in N1MM. It must be looking it up from some database. When I enter my call sign and press Tab, it shows CQ zone 5 rather than 4. I have had to confirm after numerous QSOs that my call sign really is 4 rather than 5 which is what the other station is seeing.

                      The problem is not related to the information I configured which correctly has CQ zone 4. It is coming from some database or Internet lookup.

                      Phil, W4PHS

                      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy Alderman" <aldermant@...> wrote:

                      > Phil,
                      >
                      > N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
                      > Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
                      > some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
                      > for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
                      > download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
                      > users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
                      > complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > Tom - W4BQF

                    • Tommy Alderman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
                        Good! So you have your own contest version set up correct and that is all
                        you can do. If you send zone 5 for yourself and every one's Cabrillo file
                        has you logged in zone 4, the contest adjudicator's are going to catch the
                        anomaly and find out where the error comes from. If everyone has you logged
                        with zone 5, they are going to get penalized for a QSO with you because THEY
                        are supposed to log what is sent and not what is produced by a faulty wl_cty
                        file! I don't believe you will get penalized simply because you are sending
                        your correct zone.

                        Tom - W4BQF

                        The zone is not wrong on my computer. The problem is that the default
                        displayed zone for my call is wrong on the other ham's computer. Obviously
                        that is not dependent on my configuration. However, my configuration has the
                        correct CQ zone anyway.

                        Phil, W4PHS

                        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@...> wrote:

                        > At 10/31/2010 06:58 AM, you wrote:
                        > >Ed,
                        > >
                        > >What you say is correct for stations you work and log into N1MM. However
                        > >one's own station information comes from 'Station Data' in the Config
                        menu.

                        > If you do not enter a zone in your station information, the program
                        > will use the WL_CTY file to determine the zone and bring up a popup
                        > window to tell you it automatically entered that zone for you. A W4
                        > by default will be zone 5.
                        >

                        > >Tom - W4BQF

                      • w4phs
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                          Thank you. I have sent an e-mail to AD1C asking him to correct it.

                          Phil, W4PHS

                          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@...> wrote:

                          > That is not where the data comes from. It comes from the WL_CTY
                          > file. This is a file that lists all the anomalies in zones. Since W
                          > covers 3 zones, the program doesn't know which zone to place you in,
                          > so the default for a W4 is zone 5. It guesses. It doesn't have the
                          > entire FCC database. If you want your call to be listed, contact the
                          > file editor, AD1C.
                          >

                          > At 10/31/2010 05:39 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
                          > >Phil,
                          > >
                          > >N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
                          > >Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
                          > >some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
                          > >for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
                          > >download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
                          > >users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
                          > >complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
                          > >
                          > >73,
                          > >Tom - W4BQF

                        • PA4JJ
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                            Hurraaa for the Vanity Calls

                            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "w4phs" <philsherrod@...> wrote:

                            > Thank you. I have sent an e-mail to AD1C asking him to correct it.
                            >
                            > Phil, W4PHS
                            >
                            > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > That is not where the data comes from. It comes from the WL_CTY
                            > > file. This is a file that lists all the anomalies in zones. Since W
                            > > covers 3 zones, the program doesn't know which zone to place you in,
                            > > so the default for a W4 is zone 5. It guesses. It doesn't have the
                            > > entire FCC database. If you want your call to be listed, contact the
                            > > file editor, AD1C.
                            > >

                            > > At 10/31/2010 05:39 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
                            > > >Phil,
                            > > >
                            > > >N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
                            > > >Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
                            > > >some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
                            > > >for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
                            > > >download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
                            > > >users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
                            > > >complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
                            > > >
                            > > >73,
                            > > >Tom - W4BQF

                          • Larry
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                              Ed suggested that the logger "guesses". It is not a guess. It has been several years
                              since I looked at the FCC data but it was something like 70% of the W4 population
                              is in zone 5. The program needs a single choice so in the W4 case zone 5 is the most
                              logical. Without other information (such as state) the zone 5 choice could be incorrect
                              maybe 30% of the time. There is a similar split for W7 - most in zone 3 but some in zone 4.

                              Of course, since about 1978 the FCC has not required US hams to change their call when
                              moving from call zone to call zone. It is still our individual responsibility to ensure that we have the
                              correct zone in the log entry based on what the other station sent to us. Programs like N1MM
                              try to help us but even doing a call lookup of FCC data does not guarantee in which zone
                              the station is actually operating - you might be on the West coast for the contest for example.
                              My granddaughter operated CQWW over the weekend as her first contest and my advice to her
                              is to make sure that what gets put up by N1MM logger as the zone is in fact what the other
                              station actually sent. If it is not, then she needed to change the entry or possibly ask to be sure
                              she understood the other station correctly.

                              73, Larry W6NWS
                              Thank you. I have sent an e-mail to AD1C asking him to correct it.

                              Phil, W4PHS

                              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@...> wrote:

                              > That is not where the data comes from. It comes from the WL_CTY
                              > file. This is a file that lists all the anomalies in zones. Since W
                              > covers 3 zones, the program doesn't know which zone to place you in,
                              > so the default for a W4 is zone 5. It guesses. It doesn't have the
                              > entire FCC database. If you want your call to be listed, contact the
                              > file editor, AD1C.
                              >

                              > At 10/31/2010 05:39 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
                              > >Phil,
                              > >
                              > >N1MM only uses the station data that you give it. So click on Config/Change
                              > >Your Station Data and enter not only the correct CQ zone, but save yourself
                              > >some later problems and make sure all of the data in that section is correct
                              > >for your station. Plus if you have that 'problem', I strongly urge you to
                              > >download the N1MM Quick Start Guide and read it as it specifically gives new
                              > >users all of the beginning information to get you started. N1MM is too
                              > >complex and complete to NOT read that QSG!
                              > >
                              > >73,
                              > >Tom - W4BQF

                            • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                                Larry, W6NWS wrote: "Programs like N1MM try to help us but even doing a
                                call look-up of FCC data does not guarantee in which zone the station is
                                actually operating..."

                                If you really want to see how much N1MM has "helped you out", then call
                                up your CQWW Log and right click in the Callsign field of the Entry
                                Window. Select the "Suspect Zones" item. A list will be created with
                                columns. The first column is the N1MM default "guess", most likely based
                                upon the description Larry provided (highest percentage). The second
                                column is what was logged. It will be the value that either came from
                                the AD1C Super Check Partial database or what you manually typed into
                                the CQ Zone field when logging the contact.

                                Out of 500+ QSOs last weekend, the AD1C database "helped" me 50+ times
                                by providing the proper CQ Zone value. Of course I was keeping my eye on
                                the Zone field to make certain it showed the same number as what the
                                operator told me. If it was different, I typed the number I heard before
                                hitting Enter. I don't recall having the change many, if any.

                                There's another report you can generate by selecting "Varying Zones."
                                You should also look at that report and figure it out.

                                73 de Bob - K├śRC in MN

                                On 11/1/2010 2:07 PM, Larry wrote:

                                > Ed suggested that the logger "guesses". It is not a guess. It has been
                                > several years
                                > since I looked at the FCC data but it was something like 70% of the W4
                                > population
                                > is in zone 5. The program needs a single choice so in the W4 case zone
                                > 5 is the most
                                > logical. Without other information (such as state) the zone 5 choice
                                > could be incorrect
                                > maybe 30% of the time. There is a similar split for W7 - most in zone
                                > 3 but some in zone 4.
                                >
                                > Of course, since about 1978 the FCC has not required US hams to change
                                > their call when
                                > moving from call zone to call zone. It is still our individual
                                > responsibility to ensure that we have the
                                > correct zone in the log entry based on what the other station sent to
                                > us. Programs like N1MM
                                > try to help us but even doing a call lookup of FCC data does not
                                > guarantee in which zone
                                > the station is actually operating - you might be on the West coast for
                                > the contest for example.
                                > My granddaughter operated CQWW over the weekend as her first contest
                                > and my advice to her
                                > is to make sure that what gets put up by N1MM logger as the zone is in
                                > fact what the other
                                > station actually sent. If it is not, then she needed to change the
                                > entry or possibly ask to be sure
                                > she understood the other station correctly.
                                >
                                > 73, Larry W6NWS

                              • Jim Reisert AD1C
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                                  Please read this: