Key F5 HIS CALL

  • bobpg121212
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
      I need some help in setting up F5 HIS CALL key to function. I have created wav files each alpha and numeral. How do I get it to work in Run Mode to convert the tyuped in callsign into a wav?

      I have tried the ! symbol but no success.
      Thanks 73 Bob W1RPG
    • Rob - G4LMW
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
        Bob

        In the config window in the "files" tab, do you have the correct location
        specified for the "letters file path" ??

        73, Rob
        G4LMW
        http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

        >I need some help in setting up F5 HIS CALL key to function. I have created
        >wav files each alpha and numeral. How do I get it to work in Run Mode to
        >convert the tyuped in callsign into a wav?
        >
        > I have tried the ! symbol but no success.
        > Thanks 73 Bob W1RPG

        07:36:00
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
          Where did you store the letters and numbers?

          73, Pete N4ZR

          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

          On 7/1/2010 12:38 AM, bobpg121212 wrote:
          > I need some help in setting up F5 HIS CALL key to function. I have created wav files each alpha and numeral. How do I get it to work in Run Mode to convert the tyuped in callsign into a wav?
          >
          > I have tried the ! symbol but no success.
          > Thanks 73 Bob W1RPG

        • bobpg121212
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
            Maybe I can't see it but how do you get the F5 HIS CALL to actually work after you enter a call in run mode and have ESM turned on. I have tried the ! character in the macro line for F5 in run mode.
          • Tom Osborne
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
              Is the path set right. There is a 'set' button over on the right side of
              the macro box to set the path.

              It is working here with the '!' only in F5. 73
              Tom W7WHY

              Maybe I can't see it but how do you get the F5 HIS CALL to actually work
              after you enter a call in run mode and have ESM turned on. I have tried the
              ! character in the macro line for F5 in run mode.
            • Bob Giuliani
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
                Hi Tom
                Thanks for your reply via the reflector.
                I have recorded each letter and they are all in a sub folder called Letters. The Letters folder is under the main N1MM logger folder which is under the Program Files folder which is on the C drive.

                Are you saying that the F5 key His Call only has ! on that line or do I need more.

                I have searched the help and cannot see how to do it.

                73 Bob W1RPG
                Bob Giuliani

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
                  Yes, that is all I have in F5.

                  What does it say on the bottom of the logger window? Does it say 'Err - 8
                  Error opening wave file'? That usually tells you that the path is not set
                  right.

                  If you click on the 'set' button, it will let you browse to where the
                  letters are stored. 73
                  Tom W7WHY

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
                    Ok Tom
                    Success is in hand. I had to check the path in Config/Configure Ports/Files. Than I added \letters to the Letters File Path box.
                    Put a ! Character as you said in the F5 and it now works.
                    Of course it sounds choppy from the individual wav but it works

                    TU and 73
                    Bob W1RPG
                    Bob Giuliani

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
                      Hi Bob:
                      I was able to reduce the choppyness as follows:
                      1. Record a sequence of letters such as abcdefgh, etc. using Audacity. Be sure none of the letters have any clipped peaks using the gain settings.
                      2. Select each letter individually from the sequence and check how it sounds.
                      3. If it sounds ok export it to your letters file using Export Selection as wav file.
                      4. Once all letters and numbers have been exported, open each file in Audacity and select it and use Amplify to amplify it to the maximum level Audacity will allow without clipping. Resave the amplified file. This assures that all files have the same peak.
                      5. Check the result by trying some calls with your rig in a dummy load and fix any that sound choppy. Be sure that the resulting files peak at the upper limit of your ALC meter. Adjust your moke gain to the same level.

                      This method will make the result sound less choppy. It is not perfect but in trying it myself with friends this week the responses are good.

                      Good luck
                      Bill
                      W7VP

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
                        This is particularly useful when you're running, because in that case
                        the other station just wants to know that you're answering him, and that
                        you got his call right. Voicing serial numbers is a whole 'nother issue.

                        73, Pete N4ZR

                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                        On 10/29/2010 8:07 AM, Bill wrote:
                        > Hi Bob:
                        > I was able to reduce the choppyness as follows:
                        > 1. Record a sequence of letters such as abcdefgh, etc. using Audacity. Be sure none of the letters have any clipped peaks using the gain settings.
                        > 2. Select each letter individually from the sequence and check how it sounds.
                        > 3. If it sounds ok export it to your letters file using Export Selection as wav file.
                        > 4. Once all letters and numbers have been exported, open each file in Audacity and select it and use Amplify to amplify it to the maximum level Audacity will allow without clipping. Resave the amplified file. This assures that all files have the same peak.
                        > 5. Check the result by trying some calls with your rig in a dummy load and fix any that sound choppy. Be sure that the resulting files peak at the upper limit of your ALC meter. Adjust your moke gain to the same level.
                        >
                        > This method will make the result sound less choppy. It is not perfect but in trying it myself with friends this week the responses are good.
                        >
                        > Good luck
                        > Bill
                        > W7VP

                      • Bob Giuliani
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
                          Thank for the tip. I may have to go it this weekend as is or keep some throat drops handy. Won't have to much time to change now but will be ready for next time.
                          Bob W1RPG
                          Bob Giuliani

                          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com