Re: [N1MM] K1EL WKUSB problems in last WPX

  • John, K3CT
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
      If you want to change the CW in a larger step size, use Shift+PgUp or
      Shift+PgDn.

      Both step sizes are programmable in Configurer.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
        On 5/31/2010 8:07 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
        > Hello,
        >

        > I was using the WKUSB in last WPX CW.
        >

        > I have some problems:
        >

        > - 3 or 4 times N1MM crashed (not responding message) so I needed to
        > Ctrl+Alt+Del to switch off N1MM. Anyway when I wanted to start again N1MM I
        > have a message that N1MM is already running, so I needed to switch off and
        > start again the PC

        Probably CW IF.exe was left running. Next time check in Task Manager and
        see if it is still running.
        > - I have this exchange message :<<<<<5nn>>>>> # I was TX at 34
        > wpm but when someone asked me to repeat the number, I speed down with the
        > WKUSB knob while I was on the air (transmitting), but N1MM send slow, for
        > example at 28wpm, but started faster with 599 and continue at the same speed
        > the number, didn´t recognize the<<<>>>.
        >

        > Is not possible to have the speed always in pair numbers? I use 26, 28, 30,
        > 32, 34…. And change it in N1MM, but when I use the WKUSB pot, it change to
        > 31, 29, 33, 36, 42

        I would check the Ignore Winkey Speed Pot box on the Winkey tab, and use
        the pgup/pgdn keys to change speeds. It's just as fast, and you will
        quickly get used to using the same number of key-presses in each
        direction to return to your normal speed.

        I also think that using those speed-change characters in your exchange
        is a mistake. One purpose of sending the 5NN is to get the other station
        ready for your serial number. If the 5NN and serial number are at
        different speeds, you lose that advantage.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
        The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com
      • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
          Anyway, here is working both together the winkey pot and the PgUp and Pg Dwn
          in N1MM

          Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize the <<<<>>>> in
          a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU de CW5W" the winkey pot
          adjust the speed also when I am transmitting.

          73,
          Jorge
          CX6VM/CW5W

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
            > Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize
            > the<<<<>>>> in a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU
            > de CW5W" the winkey pot adjust the speed also when I am
            > transmitting.

            The <<< >>> commands in a message represent temporary speed
            changes. According to the K1EL documentation those changes
            are lost following any permanent speed change (e.g., pgup/pgdn
            or response to the speed pot).

            One other note regarding <<< >>>: if not used carefully they
            can result in speed "creep" (message speed diverges from the
            keyer pot speed). It would be very good programming if the
            application writers would always set the hardware speed at
            the end of each stored message and when a message is aborted
            (<esc> key). This can be as simple as "set speed=0" (reset
            to the pot value - potlock mode off) or "set speed=##" (reset
            to the value stored by the application).

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 6/1/2010 7:34 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
            > Anyway, here is working both together the winkey pot and the PgUp and
            > Pg Dwn in N1MM
            >
            > Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize
            > the<<<<>>>> in a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU
            > de CW5W" the winkey pot adjust the speed also when I am
            > transmitting.
            >
            > 73, Jorge CX6VM/CW5W
            >
            > -----Mensaje original----- De: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
            > [mailto:N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com] En nombre de Steve London Enviado
            > el: Martes, 01 de Junio de 2010 12:23 a.m. Para:
            > N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com Asunto: Re: [N1MM] K1EL WKUSB problems in
            > last WPX
            >
            > Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
            >>> It is not a good idea to have the Winkey controlled by both N1MM
            >>> Logger and the Winkey speed pot.
            >>
            >> There is no reason that the WinKey "potlock" mode should not be
            >> supported in N1MM Logger. It is used successfully by DX4Win, DXLab
            >> Suite (WinWarbler), Logger32, Win-Test and WriteLog - all packages
            >> with which I'm familiar.
            >
            > And this, hot off the Win-Test reflector from N6TV ...
            >
            > "Setting the Winkey speed by both the Winkey pot and by Win-Test
            > commands is
            >
            > "not recommended," because keeping them 100% in sync. could never be
            > guaranteed. I haven't seen the speed up issue since I selected speed
            > change "only by the Win-Test commands.""
            >
            > 73, Steve, N2IC

          • Joe
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
              How about two speed settings?
              machine speed, and a paddle speed?
              Like one speed using the F keys and the computer sending it's speed is
              determined by the computer,
              , but when sending with the paddles it goes by the speed pot?

              Then when someone needs a really slow repeat you just do it by hand and
              change speeds none at all?

              Just a thought.

              Joe

              The Original Rolling Ball Clock
              Idle Tyme
              Idle-Tyme.com
              http://www.idle-tyme.com

            • Rex Maner
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
                Joe
                Your thinking too much, I do exactly that but I have a radio with 2 inputs,
                1 from the computer and 1 for an external keyer. Old but goodie TS-870.
                If someone has a problem with the NR I go to the keyer and slow down to
                needed speed.

                Quack

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
                  That would work too.

                  On 6/1/2010 9:50 AM, Rex Maner wrote:
                  > Joe
                  > Your thinking too much, I do exactly that but I have a radio with 2 inputs,
                  > 1 from the computer and 1 for an external keyer. Old but goodie TS-870.
                  > If someone has a problem with the NR I go to the keyer and slow down to
                  > needed speed.
                  >
                  > Quack

                • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
                    O, no!...

                    Was great to have the winkey so I have the same speed in N1MM and in my
                    paddles…!

                    If you want it just avoid the winkey and connect the paddles in your radio.

                    For many years I was playing with the radio CW speed to try to have it as
                    equal as possible to the speed I have in N1MM hi hi…

                    73,

                    Jorge

                    CX6VM/CW5W

                    <http://www.idle-tyme.com> http://www.idle-tyme.com

                    > > Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize
                    > > the<<<<>>>> in a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU
                    > > de CW5W" the winkey pot adjust the speed also when I am
                    > > transmitting.
                    >
                    > The<<< >>> commands in a message represent temporary speed
                    > changes. According to the K1EL documentation those changes
                    > are lost following any permanent speed change (e.g., pgup/pgdn
                    > or response to the speed pot).
                    >
                    > One other note regarding<<< >>>: if not used carefully they
                    > can result in speed "creep" (message speed diverges from the
                    > keyer pot speed). It would be very good programming if the
                    > application writers would always set the hardware speed at
                    > the end of each stored message and when a message is aborted
                    > (<esc> key). This can be as simple as "set speed=0" (reset
                    > to the pot value - potlock mode off) or "set speed=##" (reset
                    > to the value stored by the application).
                    >
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > ... Joe, W4TV
                    >
                    > On 6/1/2010 7:34 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
                    >
                    >> Anyway, here is working both together the winkey pot and the PgUp and
                    >> Pg Dwn in N1MM
                    >>
                    >> Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize
                    >> the<<<<>>>> in a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU
                    >> de CW5W" the winkey pot adjust the speed also when I am
                    >> transmitting.
                    >>
                    >> 73, Jorge CX6VM/CW5W
                    >>
                    >> -----Mensaje original----- De: <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>
                    N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
                    >> [mailto: <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>
                    N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com] En nombre de Steve London Enviado
                    >> el: Martes, 01 de Junio de 2010 12:23 a.m. Para:
                    >> <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com> N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com Asunto:
                    Re: [N1MM] K1EL WKUSB problems in
                    >> last WPX

                    >>> There is no reason that the WinKey "potlock" mode should not be
                    >>> supported in N1MM Logger. It is used successfully by DX4Win, DXLab
                    >>> Suite (WinWarbler), Logger32, Win-Test and WriteLog - all packages
                    >>> with which I'm familiar.
                    >>>
                    >> And this, hot off the Win-Test reflector from N6TV ...
                    >>
                    >> "Setting the Winkey speed by both the Winkey pot and by Win-Test
                    >> commands is
                    >>
                    >> "not recommended," because keeping them 100% in sync. could never be
                    >> guaranteed. I haven't seen the speed up issue since I selected speed
                    >> change "only by the Win-Test commands.""
                    >>
                    >> 73, Steve, N2IC

                  • Joe Subich, W4TV
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
                      > How about two speed settings?
                      > machine speed, and a paddle speed?

                      In concept it's not hard to accomplish. The application needs
                      to maintain its "internal" speed for messages and ignore
                      the speed reported by the WinKey pot. Then when starting a
                      message the application sends a "set speed NN" command to set
                      the WinKey to the "internal" speed. When the message ends,
                      the application sends a "set speed 0" command to reset WinKey
                      to the "pot" speed.

                      In practice maintaining two speeds is problematic with the
                      ability to "break" a message by simply grabbing the paddles.

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV

                    • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2010
                        Pete,

                        About the N1MM crash, that´s true, I have CW IF.exe running.

                        I cancelled it from task manager, it disappears from task manager, I close
                        task manager, try to open N1MM again and I still have a message that N1MM is
                        already running.

                        I open again task manager to see if CW IF.exe is again there but nothing, is
                        in blank.

                        I use a device that have 4 USB ports with a USB cable connected to one of my
                        notebook USB ports (I not have enough USB´s on my notebook). Maybe is this
                        the problem?

                        I can test it connected directly to a USB on my notebook, but I´m afraid I
                        will need next contest to see if it crash.

                        73,
                        Jorge
                        CX6VM/CW5W

                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com