Re: [N1MM] K1EL WKUSB problems in last WPX

  • Steve London
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2010
      Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
      > > It is not a good idea to have the Winkey controlled by both N1MM
      > > Logger and the Winkey speed pot.
      >
      > There is no reason that the WinKey "potlock" mode should not be
      > supported in N1MM Logger. It is used successfully by DX4Win,
      > DXLab Suite (WinWarbler), Logger32, Win-Test and WriteLog - all
      > packages with which I'm familiar.

      And this, hot off the Win-Test reflector from N6TV ...

      "Setting the Winkey speed by both the Winkey pot and by Win-Test commands is
      "not recommended," because keeping them 100% in sync. could never be guaranteed.
      I haven't seen the speed up issue since I selected speed change "only by the
      Win-Test commands.""

      73,
      Steve, N2IC
    • John, K3CT
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1 2:38 AM
        If you want to change the CW in a larger step size, use Shift+PgUp or
        Shift+PgDn.

        Both step sizes are programmable in Configurer.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1 3:20 AM
          On 5/31/2010 8:07 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
          > Hello,
          >

          > I was using the WKUSB in last WPX CW.
          >

          > I have some problems:
          >

          > - 3 or 4 times N1MM crashed (not responding message) so I needed to
          > Ctrl+Alt+Del to switch off N1MM. Anyway when I wanted to start again N1MM I
          > have a message that N1MM is already running, so I needed to switch off and
          > start again the PC

          Probably CW IF.exe was left running. Next time check in Task Manager and
          see if it is still running.
          > - I have this exchange message :<<<<<5nn>>>>> # I was TX at 34
          > wpm but when someone asked me to repeat the number, I speed down with the
          > WKUSB knob while I was on the air (transmitting), but N1MM send slow, for
          > example at 28wpm, but started faster with 599 and continue at the same speed
          > the number, didn´t recognize the<<<>>>.
          >

          > Is not possible to have the speed always in pair numbers? I use 26, 28, 30,
          > 32, 34…. And change it in N1MM, but when I use the WKUSB pot, it change to
          > 31, 29, 33, 36, 42

          I would check the Ignore Winkey Speed Pot box on the Winkey tab, and use
          the pgup/pgdn keys to change speeds. It's just as fast, and you will
          quickly get used to using the same number of key-presses in each
          direction to return to your normal speed.

          I also think that using those speed-change characters in your exchange
          is a mistake. One purpose of sending the 5NN is to get the other station
          ready for your serial number. If the 5NN and serial number are at
          different speeds, you lose that advantage.

          73, Pete N4ZR

          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
          The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com
        • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1 4:34 AM
            Anyway, here is working both together the winkey pot and the PgUp and Pg Dwn
            in N1MM

            Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize the <<<<>>>> in
            a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU de CW5W" the winkey pot
            adjust the speed also when I am transmitting.

            73,
            Jorge
            CX6VM/CW5W

            > > It is not a good idea to have the Winkey controlled by both N1MM
            > > Logger and the Winkey speed pot.
            >
            > There is no reason that the WinKey "potlock" mode should not be
            > supported in N1MM Logger. It is used successfully by DX4Win,
            > DXLab Suite (WinWarbler), Logger32, Win-Test and WriteLog - all
            > packages with which I'm familiar.

            And this, hot off the Win-Test reflector from N6TV ...

            "Setting the Winkey speed by both the Winkey pot and by Win-Test commands is

            "not recommended," because keeping them 100% in sync. could never be
            guaranteed.
            I haven't seen the speed up issue since I selected speed change "only by
            the
            Win-Test commands.""

            73,
            Steve, N2IC

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1 7:16 AM
              > Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize
              > the<<<<>>>> in a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU
              > de CW5W" the winkey pot adjust the speed also when I am
              > transmitting.

              The <<< >>> commands in a message represent temporary speed
              changes. According to the K1EL documentation those changes
              are lost following any permanent speed change (e.g., pgup/pgdn
              or response to the speed pot).

              One other note regarding <<< >>>: if not used carefully they
              can result in speed "creep" (message speed diverges from the
              keyer pot speed). It would be very good programming if the
              application writers would always set the hardware speed at
              the end of each stored message and when a message is aborted
              (<esc> key). This can be as simple as "set speed=0" (reset
              to the pot value - potlock mode off) or "set speed=##" (reset
              to the value stored by the application).

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 6/1/2010 7:34 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
              > Anyway, here is working both together the winkey pot and the PgUp and
              > Pg Dwn in N1MM
              >
              > Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize
              > the<<<<>>>> in a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU
              > de CW5W" the winkey pot adjust the speed also when I am
              > transmitting.
              >
              > 73, Jorge CX6VM/CW5W
              >
              > -----Mensaje original----- De: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
              > [mailto:N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com] En nombre de Steve London Enviado
              > el: Martes, 01 de Junio de 2010 12:23 a.m. Para:
              > N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com Asunto: Re: [N1MM] K1EL WKUSB problems in
              > last WPX
              >
              > Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
              >>> It is not a good idea to have the Winkey controlled by both N1MM
              >>> Logger and the Winkey speed pot.
              >>
              >> There is no reason that the WinKey "potlock" mode should not be
              >> supported in N1MM Logger. It is used successfully by DX4Win, DXLab
              >> Suite (WinWarbler), Logger32, Win-Test and WriteLog - all packages
              >> with which I'm familiar.
              >
              > And this, hot off the Win-Test reflector from N6TV ...
              >
              > "Setting the Winkey speed by both the Winkey pot and by Win-Test
              > commands is
              >
              > "not recommended," because keeping them 100% in sync. could never be
              > guaranteed. I haven't seen the speed up issue since I selected speed
              > change "only by the Win-Test commands.""
              >
              > 73, Steve, N2IC

            • Joe
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1 7:27 AM
                How about two speed settings?
                machine speed, and a paddle speed?
                Like one speed using the F keys and the computer sending it's speed is
                determined by the computer,
                , but when sending with the paddles it goes by the speed pot?

                Then when someone needs a really slow repeat you just do it by hand and
                change speeds none at all?

                Just a thought.

                Joe

                The Original Rolling Ball Clock
                Idle Tyme
                Idle-Tyme.com
                http://www.idle-tyme.com

              • Rex Maner
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1 7:50 AM
                  Joe
                  Your thinking too much, I do exactly that but I have a radio with 2 inputs,
                  1 from the computer and 1 for an external keyer. Old but goodie TS-870.
                  If someone has a problem with the NR I go to the keyer and slow down to
                  needed speed.

                  Quack

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1 7:58 AM
                    That would work too.

                    On 6/1/2010 9:50 AM, Rex Maner wrote:
                    > Joe
                    > Your thinking too much, I do exactly that but I have a radio with 2 inputs,
                    > 1 from the computer and 1 for an external keyer. Old but goodie TS-870.
                    > If someone has a problem with the NR I go to the keyer and slow down to
                    > needed speed.
                    >
                    > Quack

                  • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1 8:03 AM
                      O, no!...

                      Was great to have the winkey so I have the same speed in N1MM and in my
                      paddles…!

                      If you want it just avoid the winkey and connect the paddles in your radio.

                      For many years I was playing with the radio CW speed to try to have it as
                      equal as possible to the speed I have in N1MM hi hi…

                      73,

                      Jorge

                      CX6VM/CW5W

                      <http://www.idle-tyme.com> http://www.idle-tyme.com

                      > > Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize
                      > > the<<<<>>>> in a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU
                      > > de CW5W" the winkey pot adjust the speed also when I am
                      > > transmitting.
                      >
                      > The<<< >>> commands in a message represent temporary speed
                      > changes. According to the K1EL documentation those changes
                      > are lost following any permanent speed change (e.g., pgup/pgdn
                      > or response to the speed pot).
                      >
                      > One other note regarding<<< >>>: if not used carefully they
                      > can result in speed "creep" (message speed diverges from the
                      > keyer pot speed). It would be very good programming if the
                      > application writers would always set the hardware speed at
                      > the end of each stored message and when a message is aborted
                      > (<esc> key). This can be as simple as "set speed=0" (reset
                      > to the pot value - potlock mode off) or "set speed=##" (reset
                      > to the value stored by the application).
                      >
                      > 73,
                      >
                      > ... Joe, W4TV
                      >
                      > On 6/1/2010 7:34 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
                      >
                      >> Anyway, here is working both together the winkey pot and the PgUp and
                      >> Pg Dwn in N1MM
                      >>
                      >> Just that when I am transmitting many times didn´t recognize
                      >> the<<<<>>>> in a message, but if I have a "normal" message like "TU
                      >> de CW5W" the winkey pot adjust the speed also when I am
                      >> transmitting.
                      >>
                      >> 73, Jorge CX6VM/CW5W
                      >>
                      >> -----Mensaje original----- De: <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>
                      N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
                      >> [mailto: <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>
                      N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com] En nombre de Steve London Enviado
                      >> el: Martes, 01 de Junio de 2010 12:23 a.m. Para:
                      >> <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com> N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com Asunto:
                      Re: [N1MM] K1EL WKUSB problems in
                      >> last WPX

                      >>> There is no reason that the WinKey "potlock" mode should not be
                      >>> supported in N1MM Logger. It is used successfully by DX4Win, DXLab
                      >>> Suite (WinWarbler), Logger32, Win-Test and WriteLog - all packages
                      >>> with which I'm familiar.
                      >>>
                      >> And this, hot off the Win-Test reflector from N6TV ...
                      >>
                      >> "Setting the Winkey speed by both the Winkey pot and by Win-Test
                      >> commands is
                      >>
                      >> "not recommended," because keeping them 100% in sync. could never be
                      >> guaranteed. I haven't seen the speed up issue since I selected speed
                      >> change "only by the Win-Test commands.""
                      >>
                      >> 73, Steve, N2IC

                    • Joe Subich, W4TV
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1 9:21 AM
                        > How about two speed settings?
                        > machine speed, and a paddle speed?

                        In concept it's not hard to accomplish. The application needs
                        to maintain its "internal" speed for messages and ignore
                        the speed reported by the WinKey pot. Then when starting a
                        message the application sends a "set speed NN" command to set
                        the WinKey to the "internal" speed. When the message ends,
                        the application sends a "set speed 0" command to reset WinKey
                        to the "pot" speed.

                        In practice maintaining two speeds is problematic with the
                        ability to "break" a message by simply grabbing the paddles.

                        73,

                        ... Joe, W4TV

                      • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 2 11:30 AM
                          Pete,

                          About the N1MM crash, that´s true, I have CW IF.exe running.

                          I cancelled it from task manager, it disappears from task manager, I close
                          task manager, try to open N1MM again and I still have a message that N1MM is
                          already running.

                          I open again task manager to see if CW IF.exe is again there but nothing, is
                          in blank.

                          I use a device that have 4 USB ports with a USB cable connected to one of my
                          notebook USB ports (I not have enough USB´s on my notebook). Maybe is this
                          the problem?

                          I can test it connected directly to a USB on my notebook, but I´m afraid I
                          will need next contest to see if it crash.

                          73,
                          Jorge
                          CX6VM/CW5W

                          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com